Question Windows 10 will not boot. Basic recovery steps attempted with no success.

Sweatdog

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
Windows 10 64x Home
CPU - AMD FX 8350
16 GB RAM
MOBO - Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P rev1
SANDISK SSD ~ 6ish years old

While using Node.js in Visual Studio Code my PC locked up hard. I powered down, when I powered back up my BIOS could not find my OS. When attempting to load Windows I can only get error "critical system driver is missing. File: windows\system32\drivers\usbehci.sys"
I do see the windows logo on boot, and most attempts at booting get stuck at the spinning white dots screen. I'm never able to get to the login screen.

What I've tried so far:
  • Confirmed CPU cores and RAM modules are operational in BIOS
  • Checked and rotated the SATA and power cables
  • Disconnected all non-essential devices, leaving just monitor/keyboard/mouse
  • Tried to run WinRE several different ways including from a recovery USB stick and the power cycle method. Both methods fail.
  • Flashed Gigabyte BIOS to most recent 2016 beta release
  • Ran sfc /scannow on my OS drive, through recovery drive command prompt. Got error: "could not perform the requested operation."
  • Ran DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth on my OS drive, through recovery drive command prompt. Got error code 87.
Command Prompt does let me browse OS drive's directories and system information.

One other important note: when I enter BIOS settings from a fresh start up my SATA port settings see the OS hard drive and it IS visible in BIOS boot priorities. But when I get the BSOD and press ONLY the reset button, my BIOS no longer sees anything in the SATA port at all. And on a few occasions in the command prompt the C:\ drive vanished, leaving me with just the recovery drive. I don't know what to make of that. Is this a simple case of drive failure?

Thank you in advance, I'll provide any info you need.

Last edited:
  • Ran sfc /scannow on my OS drive, through recovery drive command prompt. Got error: "could not perform the requested operation."
  • Ran DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth on my OS drive, through recovery drive command prompt. Got error code 87.
in both cases that will need internet connection / windows update service running
dism can be run with usb media
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:E:\Sources\install.esd:X
you willl need to change drive letter to your usb drive (change that letter E to your drive letter)
you also need to change X letter with index number of your windows version type

run this command: (and dont forget to change drive letter)
dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:"E:\sources\install.esd"

it will list you windows versions
pw-4.png

find there which index number is your windows home version

then you can use
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:E:\Sources\install.esd:X
where X will be windows home index number (say number 2, so install.esd:2)

Sweatdog

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
I ended up replacing the SSD as all signs were pointing to it failing. It randomly disconnected when accessed as a secondary drive when I attached it to a new PC. Win10 installed fine on a brand new SSD. Thank you for the responses