Question Windows 10 will not install on new 1TB SSD

Dec 25, 2018
So I got a new 1TB WD Blue SSD the other day and I can't for the life of me install windows 10. My other drives (128GB ADATA and 1TB Toshiba HDD) are the drives I was using previously and they work flawlessly. The 128GB ADATA is the drive with windows 10 installed currently. I've been needing to do a clean windows 10 install so I thought instead of wiping my current drive I would buy a new one and format it before wiping anything. I'm installing by booting from a USB and the most common error I get is "We couldn't create a partition or locate an existing one". I have disconnected all other drives from the computer, set the ssd I'm attempting to format to sata slot #1, wiped the disk clean and reformatted with command prompt and made sure the format is GPT. Still nothing will remedy the problem. On my 4th attempt, once I disconnected the other drives and switched the SSD to the #1 slot, I was successful in getting windows 10 to install but when it loaded up for the first time it wasn't detecting any of my hardware. I thought it maybe didn't load everything correctly so I thought I would wipe the drive and start again. Ever since I can't get the drive to format with windows 10 and end up with the "We couldn't create a partition or locate an existing one" error. Can anyone help me?

I found this "
  1. Go into your bios and set the HDD that you want to install as the very first boot device. Save and restart.
  2. Manually access your boot loader when bios starts. From here select your USB to boot with.
  3. Proceed normally with the install.
It seems that the partition manager in the windows installation gets confused when when it detects a USB that has a higher boot priority then the HDD you're installing on. It thinks the USB is the system partition. By setting the HDD to the first booting device, it no longer looks at the USB as a boot device.

This would also explain why the removal of the USB while creating the partitions, works. By removing the USB, it no longer sees it and so it skips to the next bootable device to look for the windows system partition. When it doesn't find one, it will now search for a device to create it on its own.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS