[SOLVED] Windows 10 won‘t install on ssd

Dec 31, 2018
Hello everyone!
I know theres several threads about this exact Problem but non of them seems to have answers that help me, or they are just marked as soved without further detail.

So there we got my necessary System info:
Mainboard Asus m5a97r2.0
CPU amd fx6350
RAM 8gb dual Channel
GPU Msi gtx970
Hdd 1tb, windows 10hp x64

To increase overall performance i decided to order a ssd (Crucial mx500 250gb)
Now i fail at installing Windows 10 respectively booting it up.

What i did:
- try literally Every combination of uefi/Legacy mbr/gpt
(Installing in uefi-> either no boot (no boot device, press a key and so on, or gets me into a second windows setup identical to the First one but doesnt let me chose the automatically created partitions, because gpt? )
(Installing in mbr-> no boot)
- tried all sata ports
- tried every possible boot order with the usb only via manual boot
- always only usb / ssd plugged
- create the boot usb in either mbt/gpt

Id still like to clean install to the ssd, Not just copy my stone old Windows 10 from hdd to ssd

I fear my mistake might be very obvious but i tried for 6 straight Hours now and with all the internets help i couldnt figure out the error yet.

I hope someone is still hanging out on these forums on new years eve, hahaha

Thanks in advance and have a great new year everyone! :)

Solution
gpt drives don't need to be active to boot, thats a MBR thing. this is my PC, no active partition
vqBDIvN.jpg

UEFI bios just knows where the boot partition is, in some cases using something called Windows Boot Manager.

can you put ssd into another PC and make sure it works. Save time if its the ssd at fault. Try running this on it - https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-storage-executive

Colif

Win 11 Master
How did you create the USB? Media creation tool or Rufus? Media creation tool created installers should boot in either setting (legacy or UEFI)

Is CSM enabled on boot tab in bios? If its set to UEFI only that would explain why BIOS can't boot from USB in legacy mode

If you can boot off the USB, instead of running the installer, how about we delete the partitions on drive so if installer does run it won't give the error you got... strange it did anyway if ssd was blank?

boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type diskpart and press enter
type list disk and press enter
this shows all drives available, DVD/USB and hdd, make note of hdd number
type Select disk X - where X is the number of the hdd you want to wipe, change X to that number and press enter
once the drive you want to wipe is chosen, type Clean

Dec 31, 2018

First up thanks for your reply.
I tried out the media creation tool aswell as Iso2disc, with which i also tried mbr/gpt seperately.

CSM is enabled, i tried every combination of settings, UEFI/Legacy for every tab, didnt show effect.

Yes the ssd was blank thats whats so weird.
I also tried diskpart already, wiped everything, converted to either mbr or gpt, everything listed doesn't work.
Setting a certain partition on the ssd to "active" to make it bootable ends up in "This drive is in the gpt format, only mbr drives can be set to active" or something similar which is bullshit as windows is bootable on gpt since 7 i guess?

The installation is no problem and takes about 3 minutes, always installing to unallocated memory btw after cleaning the partitions.

I'm really getting angry at this. As mentioned the ssd works when its not the boot device, for example when booting winows on my hdd, i can easily use the ssd, transfer data onto it and so on.

Just booting it as primary device is not possible.

Regards.

Dec 31, 2018

Thank you too for replying!
That setting active is a mbr only thing was really good to know, and yes i used said tools to check functionality and it showed good reports all the time.
Well the problem has eventually been resolved.
For anyone interested or facing the same problem:
I had my hdd and windows configured in mbr Partitioning style which apparently blocked the media tools to create a real gpt Style usb stick.
I basically worked around the thing by installing my old Windows 7, which i later upgraded to my current 10, via dvd on the ssd, went through upgrading to 10 again, licensed, problem solved.
Thank you bois :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
That doesn't make any sense. And its wrong, I made a Win 10 installer on my current PC when it was formatted as MBR and used it to install my current set up, that is GPT.

If it worked for you, fine, but it is the long way around.