Jul 7, 2021
Note from moderator: Your screenshot has been removed as it contains the "F" word. Swear words are not permitted on these forums.
Kindly remove the offending word if you wish to include screenshot.

Hey,

I’m pretty certain my windows installation is screwed but I’ll ask here anyways

So basically my computer wasn’t going into sleep mode, the screens and rgb had switched off but the fans were still going, after a minute I forced it off, big mistake, turned it back on, Aorus splashscreen popped up, said ‘preparing automatic repair’ for a split second before going to a blue recovery screen. Mind you it was working flawlessly before I went to put it to sleep for the night.
The text reading as follows:
Recovery
There was a problem with a device connected to your PC
An unexpected I/O error has occurred.
File: \Windows\system32\winload.efi
Error code: 0xc00000e9
This problem can occur when a removable storage device is removed while it’s in use or is failing. Properly connecting any removable storage and restarting your pc may fix this problem.
(Screenshot is also attached here) REMOVED by moderator as it shows the "F" swear-word.

I tried pressing enter to try again and it just flashed and went back to the screen
F1 to enter recovery environment just restarted the pc back into the recovery screen
F8 for Start-up settings also took me back to the screen so I suspect something is seriously wrong if I can’t even access startup settings. On top of this, I’m not sure if it’s meant to do this but if I leave on the screen for a minute or so it just shuts down at random.

The SSD that I installed windows on is brand new (installed last week along with a new showever i suspect it could be dying if it’s saying ‘This problem can occur when a removable storage device is removed while it’s in use or is failing’ since I never removed it, I did some driver and windows updates earlier along with drivers for my new steering wheel, it has rebooted since the update so I’m not sure how it could have affected it.

Anyway I’m no expert but I suspect winload.efi is one of the first files that gets loaded and if that’s corrupt then god knows if there’s other files that get loaded later on that are also corrupt.

If anyone can help before I lose my sanity that will be amazing, thanks

Specs:
Aorus B450 Elite
AMD Ryzen 5 2600x
Zotac GeForce GTX 1660
Kingston 500gb m.2 ssd (boot)
Lexar 256gb ssd
Seagate barracuda 1tb and 3tb drives
EVGA 600W PSU

Colif

Win 11 Master
I fixed your image for you. Didn't help gallery had that word but image file didn't :)

TNJ23Fs.jpg

I/O error. Its possible its a bad ssd, you could test it with the Kingston tool but if its a mechanical fault it may not show on the software.

have you tried the other socket?
  1. 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA and PCIe 3.0 x4/x2 SSD support) (M2A_SOCKET)
  2. 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280 PCIe 3.0 x2 SSD support)(M2B_SOCKET)
https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-ELITE-rev-1x/sp#sp

windows can't boot without the efi. its what the bios looks for on the ssd to start windows.

Jul 7, 2021
I fixed your image for you. Didn't help gallery had that word but image file didn't :)

TNJ23Fs.jpg

I/O error. Its possible its a bad ssd, you could test it with the Kingston tool but if its a mechanical fault it may not show on the software.

have you tried the other socket?
  1. 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA and PCIe 3.0 x4/x2 SSD support) (M2A_SOCKET)
  2. 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280 PCIe 3.0 x2 SSD support)(M2B_SOCKET)
https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-ELITE-rev-1x/sp#sp

windows can't boot without the efi. its what the bios looks for on the ssd to start windows.
I apologize for the swear word I was just rather annoyed. I got someone coming to have a look at it but I think the ssd may have gone bad, if that’s the case then I’ll send it back

Colif

Win 11 Master
i didn't edit out the image, that was someone before me. I just found a way to show it without the offending words :)

could check you have latest bios on motherboard. But if ssd worked before and now it doesn't, its likely the ssd.

Jul 7, 2021
i didn't edit out the image, that was someone before me. I just found a way to show it without the offending words :)

could check you have latest bios on motherboard. But if ssd worked before and now it doesn't, its likely the ssd.
Yes I updated the bios to f62c from f51when I installed the ssd, it did affect my lexar drive but all it needed was a reformat and I was asked to disconnect it but got the same error, Amazon is offering a refund for the m.2 pretty inconvenient without a computer but it’s fine

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would get a samsung, not had a bad one of them yet (though tbf I only had 2)
currently got a 970 Evo plus. No complaints so far.

wow, i didn't know lexar made ssd, i have one of their USB drives. Guess it makes sense, its all flash memory.

Jul 7, 2021
I would get a samsung, not had a bad one of them yet (though tbf I only had 2)
currently got a 970 Evo plus. No complaints so far.

wow, i didn't know lexar made ssd, i have one of their USB drives. Guess it makes sense, its all flash memory.
I was considering it, also looking at wd black drive, seems pretty good

Colif

Win 11 Master
I haven't had a problem with WD drives either, apart from 2 that were destined to kill themselves - velociraptors. 10000 rpm hdd. Search for speed before ssd. And one still sort of works, it was just constantly losing space so I don't think it had much life left in it really.

Reactions: KekoTheFox