Question Windows 10 won’t open, just gets stuck in a Automatic Repair loop

Dec 28, 2019
Every time I try to start the computer, it just gets stuck in this loop before giving me the option to either restart or go to advanced options. I have fixed it on my laptop already by creating a separate boot drive on a USB by using the media creation tool and booting and installing a new version of Windows, and everything that was on the laptop got saved into a Windows.old file and was safe.

However I now have the same problems on my PC, which has an M.2. SSD for the operating system and two hard drives, one 1tb and one 2tb. The issue stemmed from a severely corrupt and buggy external hard drive, not sure how but it crashed Windows weirdly when I plugged it in to both of them.

I wanted to know, if I tried the method I used on my laptop again (just reinstalling windows from a usb drive) would I only get the stuff on the SSD back (in Windows.old) and lose everything in the hard drives, or would the stuff in the hard drives be safe? If the hard drives wouldn’t be safe, what would you recommend doing? Thanks in advance :)

ASK THE COMMUNITY