[SOLVED] Windows 10 won't activate after changing to SSD

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Hi, Windows doesn't want to activate after i swapped HDD with SSD, i had activated windows 10 with OEM global key purchased online. I thought only motherboard change would cause this, until now i had zero problems with activation, even after clean reinstalling windows it would auto activate. I wasn't using microsoft account so key wasn't associated with it. I tried troubleshooting, manually entering key and contacting support, but can't reach them directly. Why, just why......?

Solution
D
Microsoft has disabled your OEM key because it was probably a gray market key is what we’re trying to tell you. It was not meant for consumer retail. Anybody can download windows to a USB and install it all day long and there won’t be a problem until they come to activate it. When you do the activation with your OEM key Microsoft is obviously disabled it and it’s not going to work anymore

There’s one last thing you can try and that is contacting Microsoft and tell them what happened and sometimes they will be kind hearted and allow you to activate anyway even though they know you don’t have a valid key

And if they do you had better create a Microsoft account and link it to that account if you want to reactivate this on other computers...

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
How did you do this "swap"?

Clean install onto the SSD?

Clone from HDD to SSD?

Image file of HDD restored to SSD?

Something else?

Do you still have the HDD with the activated Windows on it?
I formatted the HDD and then took it out from system and put new SSD and did clean install, but I still have the HDD not connected to system though

In your first post you say "i had activated windows 10 with OEM global key purchased online." Past tense.

In your most recent post you say "If I put HDD back and clean install windows I'm sure it will auto activate".

I'm confused.

Does your original HDD have a Windows installation on it right now and is it activated right now?

If you removed your SSD and simply put the HDD back in as the only drive, will that PC then boot from the HDD and show that Windows is activated...right now?

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
In your first post you say "i had activated windows 10 with OEM global key purchased online." Past tense.

In your most recent post you say "If I put HDD back and clean install windows I'm sure it will auto activate".

I'm confused.

Does your original HDD have a Windows installation on it right now and is it activated right now?

If you removed your SSD and simply put the HDD back in as the only drive, will that PC then boot from the HDD and show that Windows is activated...right now?
Sorry my bad English causes misunderstanding, the original HDD doesn't have windows installed on it right now, but if I clean install windows on it, windows gets auto activated when I connect to the internet.And yes, if I remove the ssd and put HDD back with clean install it will get activated

I have no idea whether you have a valid license.

Having said that....you could try this:

Remove SSD.

Clean install and activate on HDD.

Clone or image that activated installation to the SSD. Maybe that works, maybe not.

Offhand....I can't think of a reason why a simple HDD to SSD swap would be an issue nowadays.....but as I said I have no idea about your mysterious "global" license.

D

Deleted member 14196

You obviously bought a fake key or one that Microsoft has now disabled because it was illegally sold

Where did you purchase it and how much money did it cost. If it wasn’t $199 and direct from Microsoft then you bought a fake key

This is why we tell people not to buy cheap keys and there is no fixing it you need to go buy a valid license if you want to activate it. Or you can use it as long as you like unactivated you just won’t be able to change the wallpaper

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
How can a key be invalid if you do clean install with installation created by Microsoft windows media tool, then you connect to internet , put a key and it gets activated? Anyway, thanks for trying to help me

D

Deleted member 14196

Microsoft has disabled your OEM key because it was probably a gray market key is what we’re trying to tell you. It was not meant for consumer retail. Anybody can download windows to a USB and install it all day long and there won’t be a problem until they come to activate it. When you do the activation with your OEM key Microsoft is obviously disabled it and it’s not going to work anymore

There’s one last thing you can try and that is contacting Microsoft and tell them what happened and sometimes they will be kind hearted and allow you to activate anyway even though they know you don’t have a valid key

And if they do you had better create a Microsoft account and link it to that account if you want to reactivate this on other computers at a later date

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PEnns
Solution

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Thanks man, I already tried contacting them with no luck and I also think linking key to account won't work, because of the OEM license. BTW I bought the key from urcdkeys.com with a discount code promoted by a tech YouTuber who does setup war type videos and is pretty big one I think, so I doubt it was a scam

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks man, I already tried contacting them with no luck and I also think linking key to account won't work, because of the OEM license. BTW I bought the key from urcdkeys.com with a discount code promoted by a tech YouTuber who does setup war type videos and is pretty big one I think, so I doubt it was a scam
That is the very definition of bogus license.

That utube guy promoted it, because he is paid to promote it.