Windows 10 won't activate

Zinnq

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
I used to have Windows 7 Home Premium then I got the free upgrade to Windows 10. Because of this, I had to put the media creation tool on a USB. I recently got a virus and had to reformat and reinstall Windows 10 Pro using the media creation tool. It's been 2 days and the digital entitlement won't activate. Now I have no idea what to do.

Solution
All you said was that you spent 2 days trying to activate .... next time, if ya can't activate, best to stop there until that's resolved.

Tho, that now having been said, if you call MS give them the old Windows 10 Home key, pay the upgrade price they may have mercy on you, kill the old key and give you a new key.
What did you do with the windows 7 Os and the licence key that was with it Zinnq ?

Was the version of windows 7 installed on a pre built system, or did you have the windows 7 install dvd, and licence key.
did you keep the windows 7 install dvd disk and it`s licence key, or give it to anyone else to use ?

Zinnq

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014

I purchased it separately, so I still have it and no one else has used it. Should that code work again? Now I just have to find it.

USAFRet

Titan

You had Win 7 Home Prem
You Upgraded to Win 10 (Home)
Virus, and then new install to Win 10 Pro.

Of COURSE it won't activate.
You needed to reinstall a Win 10 Home.

Zinnq

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014

Anyway to switch without having to completely reinstall and losing everything?

You can't buy the cheaper Home Edition and expect to turn it into the higher priced Pro Edition. You can upgrade, originally cost $99.99 but saw an article this morning that said the upgrade was soon gonna be $199 .... I didn't save the link, I was kinda focused on the new $7 a month charge for the Small Business Enterprise Edition if you want to avoid forced updates and popup ads.

Reinstall Windows 10 Home ... it should recognize old product key. Then:

1. Open up All Settings and tap or click the Update & Security component.

2. In Update & Security, drop down to the Activation section on the left and tap or click the "Go to Store" option.

3. In the Windows Store app should wind up on page that lets you get the Windows 10 Pro Pack.

USAFRet

Titan

Probably not.
This also depends on your definition of 'everything'.
Your personal files? Save elsewhere.

Applications? You are almost certainly out of luck.

I recently got a virus and had to reformat and reinstall Windows 10 Pro using the media creation tool.

So .... If you wiped the drive already and installed Win 10 Pro from a USB.... what's left to save ? You should therefore be able to:

1. Format again, install Win 10 Home with USB tool, your original key should auto activate.

2. Do the upgrade thing as described above.

Zinnq

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014

I reinstalled all of my old programs and swapped over my folders. Like I said it's been 2 days.

All you said was that you spent 2 days trying to activate .... next time, if ya can't activate, best to stop there until that's resolved.

Tho, that now having been said, if you call MS give them the old Windows 10 Home key, pay the upgrade price they may have mercy on you, kill the old key and give you a new key.

Solution