[SOLVED] Windows 10 wont boot after failed update

wiktor.nowak05

Reputable
Nov 5, 2017
Hello, so today I clicked on restart and update but after sitting 30min on 50% I decided to cut the power. Which I admit was a dumb move. After I restarted I get a black screen and a text that says:

"reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

Please help me as this is my main PC. I can get to the bios with no problem.

Solution
Yes, I could.
Then the data is probably still there. But the OS or boot sector may be corrupted. I don't know if this is feasible with your setup, but could you temporarily make the green drive the boot drive in the other system? Try to boot using it. You would want to stop the boot-up as soon as you see it pass the point it failed in the other machine. Otherwise it may change the device drivers on the disk because of it being booted in a different machine. Tricky, but doable.

Otherwise, I'd say you are going to have to "bite the bullet" and do a clean install of Win on the disk. In which case I'd recommend getting a new non-green drive. HDDs are pretty cheap now, especially 1TB models. In fact, if it comes to getting a...

wiktor.nowak05

Reputable
Nov 5, 2017
Hi, thanks for the answer! But I checked the connection to my boot drive where I have windows 10 installed and it seems to be connected solidly. I also have a secondary drive.

I went to the bios and checked the boot order. The boot drive was selected as number two and the windows boot manager as number one, then my secondary as number six.

I restart the computer and I get a error code from windows boot manager: 0xc0000225 "a required device isn't connected or can't be accessed."

My PC: i7 3770
Motherboard: B75MA-P45 Msi
Graphics card: GTX 1060 6gb
Ssd: crucial m4 SATA 2.5
Hdd: Seagate 1tb green
Psu: corsair 750W

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Still indicating the drive is either bad, not making good contact, or got corrupted. From your initial explanation, I'm wondering if the drive failed during the update. I don't suppose you have another machine you can test the drive in?

Btw, green drives don't make very good boot drives. They aren't intended for that usage. They aren't designed for the rigors of being a primary drive.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, I could.
Then the data is probably still there. But the OS or boot sector may be corrupted. I don't know if this is feasible with your setup, but could you temporarily make the green drive the boot drive in the other system? Try to boot using it. You would want to stop the boot-up as soon as you see it pass the point it failed in the other machine. Otherwise it may change the device drivers on the disk because of it being booted in a different machine. Tricky, but doable.

Otherwise, I'd say you are going to have to "bite the bullet" and do a clean install of Win on the disk. In which case I'd recommend getting a new non-green drive. HDDs are pretty cheap now, especially 1TB models. In fact, if it comes to getting a new drive, you may want to go SSD. Then use the corrupt green drive for storage (its intended purpose) after a format.

Solution

wiktor.nowak05

Reputable
Nov 5, 2017

Otherwise, I'd say you are going to have to "bite the bullet" and do a clean install of Win on the disk. In which case I'd recommend getting a new non-green drive. HDDs are pretty cheap now, especially 1TB models. In fact, if it comes to getting a new drive, you may want to go SSD. Then use the corrupt green drive for storage (its intended purpose) after a format.
Hi, I'll do a clean install of windows. I guess I have no other way. But I were talking about my ssd not the Seagate. But it's the same deal. Anyway thank you for trying to help me👍