Windows 10 won't boot up - LogonUI.exe error

Sep 30, 2016
After popping open my case to install a new SSD, my windows 10 will not load the UI now. I tried to boot in safe mode - all 3 options (regular, w/networking or with cmd prompt) and none of them load. It asks how I want to boot the system and then black screens.
I tried moving the SATA cables around and generally adjusting/cleaning everything with the same issue so I don't think it's the hardware.
Any ideas?

Colif

Win 11 Master
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB (though from sound of it, you already have this?)

Did you try start up repair? its in the troubleshoot/advanced window

Should download this as well and use it to copy files you want to rescue onto ssd (might use it to format ssd as well since its unlikely to be formatted now): http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

In the Automatic Repair screen, click on Advanced Options > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt.

Command Prompt with a black window will open. In it type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and Press Enter.

https://appuals.com/best-fix-logonui-exe-exception-preventing-windows-10-from-booting/ - alas, other fixes require safe mode which isn't currently working

Sep 30, 2016

- I did not have the media creation tool so I'm downloading that now.
I did try startup repair but it also said there was nothing to fix >.<
I tried removing the graphics card and booting - which still resulted in a black screen
Automatic Repair said there was nothing to repair.
The command prompt loaded but when I used that command it gave Error 87: option is unknown
Once the media creation tool is done, I'll try that and cross my fingers >.<

IndyVeggie59

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
I am getting the same error message as you included in your last post. Have you made any progress on solving this issue?

Mine occurred spontaneously after cloning my wife's primary drive to an external USB3 drive. The clone went fine, but then, after the automatic reboot, the system presented a logon screen (which it previously had not) and asked for an e-mail address and PW. None of my e-mail addresses and PW worked. Couldn't boot into safe mode; all options to repair startup files failed.

I took out the primary drive and put the clone drive in, but it was even worse off startup-wise than the original drive.

I have no idea what could have happened to cause the change to the UI @ logon, because I had the system set up as a local system that didn't require a logon at startup.