[SOLVED] Windows 10 Won't Boot

achubbypaanda

Prominent
Nov 15, 2019
Hi, so recently I updated Windows on my PC, turned it off for the night and during that same night it got bumped pretty hard. The next day I tried booting it up, it freezes at the windows logo with the spin, so I thought it was something messed up and I needed to run Windows 10 Media Creation tool off of a USB. I installed it onto a brand new USB, went into my BIOS, disabled my PC from booting off of anything but that USB. Now that I know it is only trying to boot off of that, it does the same exact thing as before. I'm kind of at a loss on what to do here, do you guys have any suggestions?

Specs:
Ryzen 2600
ZotacGaming 2080
TridentZ 16GB (2x8)
MSI B350 Tomahawk
Samsung EVO 250GB SSD (where windows is installed)

Solution
I would try a cold boot, unplugging the power to your PC, press and hold the power button for about 10 seconds, wait 10 seconds than plug in your PC and try powering up again.

If this doesn't work I would disconnect the SSD and try to boot from the USB. Obviuosly there is the possibility a pretty hard bump could cause hardware damage, so no amount of OS reinstall would help. Make sure you check all the interior connections reset your cables, GPU card and RAM, and if that does help your CPU.
Did you let Windows 10 Media Creation tool create the USB or did you download an ISO file and create the USB installer yourself?

Even if you have the USB as the first boot, Windows will often bypass the USB if sees an internal drive with a windows OS. Try pressing f12 to go to a onetime boot, and choose the USB and see if it works. You might also use a different USB port; ie USB 2.0. The Windows 10 Media Creation USB will not work with USB 3.0 with some systems.

Reactions: achubbypaanda

achubbypaanda

Prominent
Nov 15, 2019
Did you let Windows 10 Media Creation tool create the USB or did you download an ISO file and create the USB installer yourself?

Even if you have the USB as the first boot, Windows will often bypass the USB if sees an internal drive with a windows OS. Try pressing f12 to go to a onetime boot, and choose the USB and see if it works. You might also use a different USB port; ie USB 2.0. The Windows 10 Media Creation USB will not work with USB 3.0 with some systems.

I let the Creation Tool make the USB. I also just tried what you had suggested but yielded the same results. Also, it seems to be trying to boot off the USB, it goes to the windows logo with no spin, nothing happens and then goes to the normal boot option I've noticed

I would try a cold boot, unplugging the power to your PC, press and hold the power button for about 10 seconds, wait 10 seconds than plug in your PC and try powering up again.

If this doesn't work I would disconnect the SSD and try to boot from the USB. Obviuosly there is the possibility a pretty hard bump could cause hardware damage, so no amount of OS reinstall would help. Make sure you check all the interior connections reset your cables, GPU card and RAM, and if that does help your CPU.

Reactions: achubbypaanda
Solution

achubbypaanda

Prominent
Nov 15, 2019
So I disconnected all my drives, tried to boot off the USB and got the same result. Initially when this happened I replugged in all of my hardware components except my CPU, it shows in the BIOS that its reading it just fine. I just tried to replug everything into the headers and got nothing. Everything in the BIOS looks normal hardware wise, fans, ram, cpu, storage reads like it did before as well. If there's no drives plugged in, just the USB and it's still freezing, it would likely be a hardware issue right?

achubbypaanda

Prominent
Nov 15, 2019

Okay, thank you so much for your help. I don't understand what it is that happened, but I did more fighting with the cables to the CPU and plugged my ram into a different dimm slot and it actually let me boot to my USB. I appreciate you're help very much!