Windows 10 won't detect Logitech G430 headset or play audio in Surround Sound.

pixieplease

Honorable
Aug 13, 2018
This post from 3 years ago on another site is exactly what I am dealing with right now, but there was no fix in that thread.  

Basically, I was playing a game with my headset (Logitech G430), and suddenly my sound cut out and I couldn't ALT+TAB. I used my mouse to exit the game and saw that my keyboard didn't work (even though there was a green light on the num lock and caps lock keys) and my sound icon in the bottom right of my taskbar had an X on it.  

I unplugged my headset and plugged it back in but Windows would detect it (no more x on the sound icon) for 3-4 seconds and then deafen again. I tried every USB port I have and none of them would stick. I got my keyboard working, though.

1. It's just the headset (as well as the other 3 headsets of the same brand/model that I've tried) that don't work in the USB ports. Other USB things (like my phone charger) work perfectly in every USB port.

2. My headset is my only source of sound (aka I have no external speakers) and I just purchased this one a month ago. This is the 4th headset I've purchased in a row of this exact model.

3. I tried 3 other headsets of the same brand/model, none of them work either.

4. I tried 3 different analog to USB adapters in various combinations with the headsets, to no avail.

5. I updated my USB port drivers (only one of them needed an update), my headset drivers, Windows 10, and my motherboard driver (did not need it) and restarted multiple times.

6. The only way any headset will work on my PC is if I use the analog cables, but my microphone and sound are a lot quieter than before (even with everything turned to max volume).

7. Usually my computer would detect my speakers and mic as this Logitech headset, but now it only shows up as Realtek HD audio.

8. Under LEVELS, my mic is at 100 and I turned the BOOST option high enough that my mic is no longer quiet, but the sound in my headset still is. No surround sound either -- you know that very light static/background noise/ambient noise headsets have when they are turned up? That doesn't happen -- my headset earmuffs sound completely dead/flat/not slightly echo-y like usual.

9. More about that -- normally when I restart with my headset on I can hear my headset go silent and then I hear a crackle when it turns on during the boot-up, then that ambient very light static from there on out. That is completely gone.

Any ideas? I am going to order a new headset of a different brand, I guess, but I feel like that isn't going to fix it. Thanks so much in advance, this is driving me insane

Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
Intel Core i7-770K CPU
16 GB RAM (CORSAIR Vengeance)
GIGABYTE GA-H270-Gaming 3 mobo

Solution
I fixed this! Posting here so if anyone else experiences this they know what I did.  

Even though I used Device Manager to update all my drivers individually, I downloaded Driver Booster and it said I had 21 outdated drivers. Voila! I have absolutely no idea why Windows updated my drivers but not the newest ones (even though the newest ones were apparently not even super new -- some were from 2017). Make sure you also download the Logitech G430 firmware update too.  

pixieplease

Honorable
Aug 13, 2018
I fixed this! Posting here so if anyone else experiences this they know what I did.  

Even though I used Device Manager to update all my drivers individually, I downloaded Driver Booster and it said I had 21 outdated drivers. Voila! I have absolutely no idea why Windows updated my drivers but not the newest ones (even though the newest ones were apparently not even super new -- some were from 2017). Make sure you also download the Logitech G430 firmware update too.  

Solution