[SOLVED] Windows 10 wont install on new HDD

Nov 13, 2019
So ill try to make a long story as short as possible. I had a old failing seagate 1tb hard drive that i wiped an installed windows 10 on as a last ditch effort to see if that would fix things. I was able to install windows 10 but my system locking up from the bad hdd continued. I went an purchased a new seagate 1tb oem HDD but i am unable to install windows on it an i am at my wits end. When i attempt to install i get the error code 0x80300002.

I have tried alot of different fixes for this error to no avail. One thing i feel i should note is that i do have an older mobo (2011 gigabyte model) Is it possible that i need to install some type of sata controller driver? It shows the disc as unallocated space just fine but when i try to create a new partition either through windows 10 setup or through cmd prompt in disk part i get an i/o error. Could a incompatible sata cable ( using the one from my old hdd an i also tried another one i had in my case) or could it be dead out of the box.

Ill post system specs if needed an sorry for the wall of text im just so frustrated right now lol.

Solution
Your motherboard has 2 sata controllers - Intel and Marvel.
If you have connected your drive to ports belonging to marvel controller, then you need to load storage controller drivers during windows install.
Or just connect your drive to ports belonging to Intel sata controller.
So ill try to make a long story as short as possible. I had a old failing seagate 1tb hard drive that i wiped an installed windows 10 on as a last ditch effort to see if that would fix things. I was able to install windows 10 but my system locking up from the bad hdd continued. I went an purchased a new seagate 1tb oem HDD but i am unable to install windows on it an i am at my wits end. When i attempt to install i get the error code 0x80300002.

I have tried alot of different fixes for this error to no avail. One thing i feel i should note is that i do have an older mobo (2011 gigabyte model) Is it possible that i need to install some type of sata controller driver? It shows the disc as unallocated space just fine but when i try to create a new partition either through windows 10 setup or through cmd prompt in disk part i get an i/o error. Could a incompatible sata cable ( using the one from my old hdd an i also tried another one i had in my case) or could it be dead out of the box.

Ill post system specs if needed an sorry for the wall of text im just so frustrated right now lol.

format the partition

or make a new boot install for windows 10 use a usb
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

ive had this issue its either a bad hd or a corrupt disc or file on the disk or usb

i got the install from microsoft and just used my key and this fixed it

Nov 13, 2019
format the partition

or make a new boot install for windows 10 use a usb
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

ive had this issue its either a bad hd or a corrupt disc or file on the disk or usb

i got the install from microsoft and just used my key and this fixed it
From what i recall it doesnt even allow me to click on the format button on windows setup

an i already downloaded another copy of windows setup an didnt work

Nov 13, 2019
I believe i may have found the issue to my problem but i dont know how to apply it. I think my motherboard may be so old that it needs drivers to install windows on the new HDD

I was looking at my motherboards drivers my motherboard is from (2011) an i came across this View: https://imgur.com/a/N8OQZtT

If you sort by windows 10 64 bit the drivers will come up. https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-X79-UP4-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-sataraidahci

So if i do need them to install them for the new hard drive how would i apply them? If its a fresh install

Your motherboard has 2 sata controllers - Intel and Marvel.
If you have connected your drive to ports belonging to marvel controller, then you need to load storage controller drivers during windows install.
Or just connect your drive to ports belonging to Intel sata controller.

Solution