Windows 10 wont install/reinstall

dannyboy007

Prominent
Nov 14, 2017
Not able to reinstall windows 10, the usb that came with my windows 10 can't be formatted. when trying to open up setup or boot from usb it says that something is wrong with dll. i even tried to format my harddrive and install a fresh windows 8.1 on it. but no luck. seems like i have to install latest iso. but the thing is i dont have any spare usb / blank disc. the only usb i have is the one that came with windows. But when trying to format it ( also tried formatting it through cmd diskpart )it says "read only" is it possible to format the included usb stick?

Solution
Delete all the drive partitions and you will be able to install the old Windows 10 from the Microsoft USB.
The USB comes write protected (read only) so it won't be accidentally erased, infected, corrupted, etc.
Just get another USB flash drive and download the new Windows 10.
There is a guide at Dell about removing the write protection but it could also brick the USB flash drive.
Delete all the drive partitions and you will be able to install the old Windows 10 from the Microsoft USB.
The USB comes write protected (read only) so it won't be accidentally erased, infected, corrupted, etc.
Just get another USB flash drive and download the new Windows 10.
There is a guide at Dell about removing the write protection but it could also brick the USB flash drive.

Solution