Question windows 10 won't launch

Sep 21, 2018
I bought a brand new hard drive for my computer that had a dodgy one in, once i put in the hard drive and installed windows 10 onto it (via USB) it says windows is on the hard drive but every time i boot from the hard drive itself it just boots straight back into the setup and does it all again constantly, any ideas on whats going on? The old hard drive still boots into windows but it just doesn't allow me to play games or anything as it says there is an error with the windows.

Sep 21, 2018
i removed the old Hdd, I did try without the usb but it still doesn't work, it is really strange as ive never encountered an error like this, all my previous computers worked fine but with the old windows that was on it i cant seem to do anything, in my properties on the old hdd it said that the windows couldn't connect to a server or something all in red so i wasn't able to reset the computer or play anything. i can try again soon as its currently not in my house.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Sorry, first off without knowing your level of knowledge, I am going to ask a couple of questions that may be mildly insulting.

So, first off, you didn't just copy the files from the USB to the drive?
You went online and created the USB stick with installation software from Microsoft website, on a bootable USB?

Second, as you did the install did you go into advanced options and see the particular drive you are installing to, pick that specific drive and know that there were no previous installations or partitions on it?
Like, this was a new out of box drive, or one that had been used by someone else previously with a possible recovery partition on it?

Sep 21, 2018
it was a fresh drive straight out of the box, I have a second computer that i'm on now which i used to download the installation media to the usb which had been factory reset, i had to set the partitions myself on the hdd as windows was failing to create them for some reason

Sep 21, 2018
This indicates to me some manner of problem with your installation media. Corrupted, something perhaps.

When you first pick the drive to install there is a message indicating that Windows install will create it's own partitions. Something amiss.
Its strange because i did reinstall it twice from the website after the first attempt failed and it still didn't work hence why i created the partitions myself, it just gets to a certain point says its going to restart then does the windows boot all over again.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, make that new drive all unallocated space before you attempt the new install, unless you have some specific need for multiple partitions.
Even in that case you can use the advanced options to tell it to only use a certain amount of the available space thus leaving the rest open to create a new partition with disk manager later. There will be arrow keys to adjust the size.