Windows 10 won't start after CPU upgrade

Oct 27, 2018
OK, this is the case:
I have Intel DG33BU motherboard that runs Windows 10 x64 and CPU is E6750 which works fine. I have decided to upgrade the CPU to Q9650, and after installing BIOS recognizes it ok but windows won't start. It just freezes at the boot logo. If I go back to the old CPU it works fine. I have even tried to put different CPU (E7500) and the same happens - not loading windows.
Tried F8 but automatic repair gets stuck too. I tried to put the CPU to some other machine and did a clean install of windows - and it works - but only 32-bit installer runs, 64-bit freezes. After installing it on another PC with fresh x86 Windows and than moved it to my first PC that had a problem and moved the hard drive with installed 32-bit windows and it worked also. It also works if I put my x64 windows hard drive to another PC with the new CPU. This is all very strange, on one PC it works with x64 and x86 windows, on another machine it doesn't. I have read somewhere that someone had the same problem and did a BIOS flashed with the new CPU in it and Windows started after that, that's the last think to try. But to be able to do that I need flash from bootable CD or USB. Very strange behaviour, if anybody has any idea what's wrong please help. And no - it is not OEM Windows.

Oct 27, 2018
And YES flashing bios with the new CPU did the trick. Really don't know what x64 Windows has to do with flashing the BIOS with he same version that is already there...but it works!!!

Feb 10, 2019

This worked for me too! I noticed in the bios it did not list the exact processor type, but after I flashed the same version again (iflash /pf mybios.bio /rb) bios stated the correct processor and that it was quad core. Windows just booted fine after. Thanks for the insight!