[SOLVED] Windows 10 won't start properly with ANY USB keyboard attached.

Sep 13, 2021
Hello!

I'm having a strange issue with my newer PC. I started having issues where my PC starts up, then before it gets to the login screen, the screen goes dark and the lighting on the RGB keyboard I was using turn off. The screen is still on and receiving a signal, but just blank. It began happening after getting a new monitor, so I assumed it had something to do with that. But, it happens with the old monitor as well. I tried using the keyboard the PC came with...same issue. It will only boot up normally using a wireless Logitech keyboard with unifying receiver.

I've unplugged every other USB accessory and narrowed it down to being a wired USB keyboard that causes the issue. I've checked the boot order in the bios, and booting from USB is 3rd in the order. After narrowing it down to the keyboard being the cause last night, I assumed something was wrong with the RGB keyboard being at fault. Nope. The keyboard that came with it causes the same issue. I've used system restore, uninstalled Windows Updates, and removed/changed other software related programs and it is definitely a wired keyboard causing the issue. I've removed the RGB keyboard from the device list and let Windows detect it again. The keyboard works correctly if I plug it in after Windows is running.

Any ideas what to check next?

Solution
its not the first time windows 10 has decided Mice or KB won't work.
I don't think a repair install fixes it, as its at a driver level.
installing kb drivers doesn't seem to fix it either as they don't work until you logged in.

A reset may work but if you at that stage, a clean install is often safer.
Sep 13, 2021
Ryzen 5 3500
16GB Corsair Vengeance
GTX 1650 Super
Sound Blaster Z
256GB M.2 SSD (rebranded Toshiba drive that I can't think of)
2TB Seagate HDD

I don't think the issue is with the keyboards. I've tried 4 different ones and they all work fine on my laptop and tablet while docked. The PC is working fine again for now after pulling out the CMOS battery for 30 minutes, swapping the memory sticks, reseating the GPU and only plugging the keyboard into the back. The keyboards work fine in the bios when they weren't allowing Windows to boot. I don't know. I'll leave it alone for now and try booting it up from a Linux Mint drive if it starts happening again.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Colif

Win 11 Master
its not the first time windows 10 has decided Mice or KB won't work.
I don't think a repair install fixes it, as its at a driver level.
installing kb drivers doesn't seem to fix it either as they don't work until you logged in.

A reset may work but if you at that stage, a clean install is often safer.

Solution