Windows 10 won't start

Worldtrek

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
I have an Acer laptop with windows 10 64bit. Recently I was downloading and installing normal updates to the OS. I forgot to have the laptop plugged in and the battery died at 93% installed. I plugged the laptop back in and turned it on and it began to continue the install. After the installs were done the screen turned black. Not black in the sense there was no power just an empty screen. Since then I have not been able to get to the sign in screen for Windows. The computer starts, you see the name Acer and the processing loop below it, then after a time nothing, screen just goes empty. Also i have tried to start it in safe mode with no success, I have also tried to reset holding the F8 key and it says there is an error and that it cannot do it. Please help

Solution
Hello!

It seems as though because your laptop died whilst it was updating it has corrupted your Windows installation.

Because of this you will need to do a clean install of your operating system.

In order to do this you will need to go to advanced boot options and reset your machine but there will be an option to keep all of your files so they will still be there when you have reset your machine.

GameFreak01048

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016
Hello!

It seems as though because your laptop died whilst it was updating it has corrupted your Windows installation.

Because of this you will need to do a clean install of your operating system.

In order to do this you will need to go to advanced boot options and reset your machine but there will be an option to keep all of your files so they will still be there when you have reset your machine.

Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Create bootable media (USB drive) with the applicable ISO for your setup - Windows 10 (Home, Pro) x64. You'll need another computer to do that. https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Attach it to your laptop, and boot from the it (you'll probably have to enter your BIOS to direct it to boot from the USB).
Once you can boot from it, use the 'repair' option - and you should be fine.