Windows 10 won't stay powered down after Shut down

Rhys__Major

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
Hello all,

Just built a computer from mostly new parts, installed Windows 10 and everything seems to have gone perfectly, Until i tried to power down using 'Shut Down', The power button, using WinR or any other method, it turns itself back on a couple of seconds after all lights and fans stop.

I have fully updated windows, bios, drivers. I've ran ScanHealth/RestoreHealth, Turned off Wake on Lan/Magic Packet (It happens even when not connected to the internet) I have turned off 'Restart automatticaly if crash occurs'. shutdown.exe -s -f -t 00 does not work. ErP is enabled on Bios. I've turned off 'Fast Start Up', Removed all USB Devices before Shut Down

It still turns back on! Right now as a work around i just press the button almost immediately as it comes back on and this works, it does not come back on after i shut it down from the Splash screen. The last thing i'm about to do is a full reinstall.

Help please!

Specs (Windows 10 Pro 64bit)

SSD - Crucial MX300 275GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive - CT275MX300SSD1
Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-B250M-DS3H B250 Chipset 7th Gen Intel Core Processor - Black
HDD - WD 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive - Blue
RAM - Crucial 8GB DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DR x8 DIMM 288-Pin - CT8G4DFD824A
CPU - Intel Core i5-7500 3.40 GHz Base Frequency Quad Core 6 MB Cache CPU Processor - Black
PSU - OCZ ZS Series 750W 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply (I know its overkill but its just one I had lying around from another build)
No Graphics Card

Solution
How old is that power supply? Do you have access to another fully functional PSU?
I don't think your problem is software.
Not knowing much about that PSU, I think it's probably the issue.
I, personally would never put a PSU into a new build, that I had lying around, unless it was a top flight PSU that was still under warranty(and I knew that I hadn't abused the heck out of it).

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
How old is that power supply? Do you have access to another fully functional PSU?
I don't think your problem is software.
Not knowing much about that PSU, I think it's probably the issue.
I, personally would never put a PSU into a new build, that I had lying around, unless it was a top flight PSU that was still under warranty(and I knew that I hadn't abused the heck out of it).

Solution

teslacoilftw

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
I would try going into bios and disabling all "WAKE" up functions...
If your using ethernet.. disconnect the ethernet and see if your computer comes back up.
Prior to shutting down trying Exiting out of all Applications first
Go into "task manager" and disable all "startup" apps...

Rhys__Major

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016

I think the power supply is coming on 4 years old now. I recently took it out of my personal computer 6 months ago and never had any similar problems with it. Is that likely to be the cause? I have a new much higher quality PSU in my computer and I suppose I could take that out and test it with that, Shall update once I've tried it

Rhys__Major

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016

I'll double check when I can access it tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure all up to date, I'll try the Shift click and let you know. Thanks

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

I know it's a hassle, but it's the place I would start.

Rhys__Major

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016

You were right! I bought a new Corsair 450w PSU and that has solved the issue, Thanks very much friend.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

I had a similar thing happening to me a long time ago(windows XP), I solved it with a new PSU as well. Glad to help. Happy computing!