Question Windows 10's inbuilt administrator account problem

kanishknishar

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
I had to activate the admin account because I couldn't delete a folder. After restarting the PC, Windows wanted me to type a password for the adminstrator account - I hadn't set any. So I changed the password of admin account via netplwiz. I want the admin account to not have any password. How do I do that? Also I tried for Windows to automatically login in netplwiz but didn't input any password which means that the password was wrong. However, when I the PC starts up there are two admin accounts. Why is that? After logging into my own account, there's only one admin account.

Despite using Windows 10 Home Edition, I can't open Advanced User management

Hello

Since you're using Home Edition of Windows 10, you cannot access Local Users and Groups snap-in from Computer Management.

However, what you can do instead is, launch the Command Prompt window as Administrator, and run the following command:

net user administrator *
Press Enter. When it asks you to type a password, press Enter without typing anything, and do the same when it prompts you to retype the password.
This will set a blank password for the built-in Administrator account.

To disable the account altogether, run the following command in the Command Prompt window:

net user administrator /active:no
Press Enter.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!!

kanishknishar

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
Hello

Since you're using Home Edition of Windows 10, you cannot access Local Users and Groups snap-in from Computer Management.

However, what you can do instead is, launch the Command Prompt window as Administrator, and run the following command:

net user administrator *
Press Enter. When it asks you to type a password, press Enter without typing anything, and do the same when it prompts you to retype the password.
This will set a blank password for the built-in Administrator account.

To disable the account altogether, run the following command in the Command Prompt window:

net user administrator /active:no
Press Enter.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!!

So I can't access Local in this variant of Windows 10? Any workarounds?

What about the duplicate admin accounts?

Thanks for the help!

So I can't access Local in this variant of Windows 10? Any workarounds?

What about the duplicate admin accounts?

Thanks for the help!

Hello again

Windows 10 Home Edition doesn't allow you to access some of its areas. The limitations include: you can't add this edition to a Domain, you can't access Local Users and Groups, you can't use BitLocker, etc.

Here is a comparison list of Windows 10 Home vs. Pro.

There are no workarounds but other methods you can use such as Control Panel, NETPLWIZ, Command Prompt, and PowerShell instead.

About the duplicate accounts, looks like some kind of system file error or conflict, if both the accounts are same.

To fix this, please try disabling automatic login from NETPLWIZ. In the same box, please check if the duplicate accounts are shown in the list. If so, please try deleting one of them.

If nothing works, you can try Running the SFC /SCANNOW Command and see if it helps.

Cheers!!

kanishknishar

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
Hello again

Windows 10 Home Edition doesn't allow you to access some of its areas. The limitations include: you can't add this edition to a Domain, you can't access Local Users and Groups, you can't use BitLocker, etc.

Here is a comparison list of Windows 10 Home vs. Pro.

There are no workarounds but other methods you can use such as Control Panel, NETPLWIZ, Command Prompt, and PowerShell instead.

About the duplicate accounts, looks like some kind of system file error or conflict, if both the accounts are same.

To fix this, please try disabling automatic login from NETPLWIZ. In the same box, please check if the duplicate accounts are shown in the list. If so, please try deleting one of them.

If nothing works, you can try Running the SFC /SCANNOW Command and see if it helps.

Cheers!!

You can see the results here: View: https://imgur.com/a/AU8oqhr

No duplicate accounts

TRENDING THREADS