News Windows 10X Mothballed with Focus on Windows 10 for Desktop, Reports Say

Findecanor

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2015
I wonder how this is going to affect the Surface Neo. People don't want to see last year's hardware in a product with a premium price, like with the Surface Duo.

And BTW, please don't adopt Microsoft's befuddled marketingspeak where everything is an "experience", and every product is an "invention". Translate into straightforward English, please!

Last edited:
To the beat of "Another One Bites the Dust", by Queen.

Let's go

Satya walks warily down the street
With his brim pulled way down low
Ain't no sound but the sound of his feet
A promising product nearly ready to go
Are you ready hey are you ready for this?
Are you hanging on the edge of your seat?
Out of the doorway accounting's ready to rip
Another line item from the balance sheet

Another program bites the dust
And another one gone and another one gone
Hey accounting's gonna get you too

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Isn't 'X' the OS where you could only use MS apps and services along with?

No, that was Windows 10 ARM.

Windows 10 X was basically a UI overhaul. Got rid of all the old menus in favor of fancier ones for more mobile like experiences.

I think they've once again proved that, for most people, they don't want a mobile experience on their laptops and desktops.

Windows 8 wasn't exactly a hit.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
I'm not sure what they gain be sticking with desktop only. They have really started to lose the server world, we have clients who 5 years ago would have never considered Linux starting to lean that way and many have converted. Even our biggest Windows Server only client agreed to use a Linux machine for the Kubernetes control plane. It's only a matter of time before they decide it's just easier.

I guess in the end Azure makes on site Windows Server mostly a legacy business, but you would think at this point MS would just bite the bolt and use a BSD or Linux kernel with their UI and DirectX (just like macOS does with their UI and Metal) and focus on entering new markets instead of failing to rewrite their own stack every 3 to 5 years.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, the server world is still divided heavily. A lot of your financial, sales, and general businesses can easily run on Unix/Linux. Same with research and medicine, since a lot of it comes out of Universities. But a lot of engineering, manufacturing, and municipalities rely on Windows based software to function. I don't see that changing any time soon.

It's not like Windows Server is going away, it's still good at many things a small to mid-sized corporation may need, like Active Directory to manage users and policies, file servers, print servers, network policy servers and the like. Linux can do all that, but its so much worse to setup and manage. However, for things such as running web applications and cloud workloads Linux is pretty much the standard nowadays, mostly thanks to docker. For the desktop users both work and I still rather manage a business with Windows PCs for my users than Linux. I just wish Windows 10 didn't have so much crap with it, I might use it for a workstation then.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Windows 10 X was basically a UI overhaul. Got rid of all the old menus in favor of fancier ones for more mobile like experiences.
I thought Windows 10 X was being developed specifically for dual screen portable devices.

Also, punkncat may have been talking about Windows 10 S Mode which only allows applications from the Microsoft Store to be installed.

Findecanor

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2015
I believe you might have been thinking of Windows RT or Windows 10 S, which are both discontinued.
In both of these cases, apps could only be installed from the Windows Store.
Windows RT was for 32-bit ARM only and was based on Windows 8.
Windows 10 S was for x86, and the 'S' stood for "School": it was intended as a competitor to ChromeOS.

Windows 10 on ARM is for 64-bit ARM and you can install programs from anywhere. It supports emulation of x86-32 apps but still not yet emulation of x86-64.

I feel really bad for people who got Windows RT machines. Only recently have people managed to crack the UEFI boot on some of them and install Linux. But they will never run newer Windows software.

Sippincider

Reputable
Apr 21, 2020
Announce it when it's READY. Not when it exists as a slick Powerpoint of what you hope to release someday.

After 40+ years you'd think this industry would finally learn.

Reactions: Findecanor

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
In my opinion, this is the problem with MS. They always attempt to make a cut down/ simplified version of their bloated Windows 10, and will can it after awhile with the excuse to "focus on existing desktop experience", aka, go back to comfort zone. The UI and functionality of Windows 10 have changed quite a fair bit since it was introduced. But the underlying OS is still very resource intensive, and getting increasingly so because the upgraded UI and feature don't come free. If they are serious about introducing ARM chips to run Windows, I think they need to really invest time and effort on it.

thuckabay

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
If Microsoft really wants to fix the Windows 10 experience, then it needs to get back to a Start menu more like the one in Windows 7! (Start10 is decent, of course.) Otherwise, Windows 10 will always feel like slapped-together crap, at least in terms of organization and navigation to applications, help, etc.

D

Deleted member 14196

I think they've once again proved that, for most people, they don't want a mobile experience on their laptops and desktops.

Windows 8 wasn't exactly a hit.
No that’s windows S mode

Reactions: punkncat