[SOLVED] Windows 11 8004005 from bootable stick install error?

markm75

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2007
I put win 11 pro on a stick using rufus 3.8.x from the iso.. booted to it, attempted to install to a partition that had enough space (as a 3rd windows installation on my machine).. the other two are on separate drives
Once it gets to copying files.. it immediately errors with that code and something about assigning drive letter error.
Has anyone ran into this one?
Thanks in advance

Solution
it could be the size of the USB. Anything over 32gb is formatted as exfat and the bios may not recognize that as a format to boot off. I believe they only accept NTFS and FAT32

You best use a 16gb drive for the installer. 10gb partition would have worked as it could be formatted as FAT32

markm75

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2007
Well it wasnt efi space related...

im not sure what worked here, but here is what i did..
I split the 64gb sandisk ultra stick into a 10gb partition and then the rest.
Then i ran the media creation tool again, it found the drive, i used this.
I also tried a different usb port (did too many variables at once here).
Upon doing the above, once it got to copying files again, it worked. Unclear if rufus was really to blame or the 64gb size was (i've used the full size in the past for win 10 bootable rufus images), so im thinking maybe it was just using the other port of the usb hub.

Colif

Win 11 Master
it could be the size of the USB. Anything over 32gb is formatted as exfat and the bios may not recognize that as a format to boot off. I believe they only accept NTFS and FAT32

You best use a 16gb drive for the installer. 10gb partition would have worked as it could be formatted as FAT32

Solution

Latest posts