Question Windows 11 acts a bit glitchy on new system

Okay so I recently built a new system (re-used old drives, formatted, fresh windows install)

Every time windows gets to the log-in screen, the screen quickly goes black for like half of a second.

Once it returns, you can tell that the screen looks different. Its seems like it applies my Windows display calibration.

I have also noticed while opening other programs like Adobe Photoshop, the entire screen will go black for a split second, sometimes even 2-3 seconds, before the program pops up.

None of this happened on my old rig.

Im wondering if there are any typical "known" issues that I could potentially troubleshoot with your guys knowledge??? Could the very small overclock on my GPU of +115 core clock +417 memory clock be causing the issue? Just not sure if its windows or the gpu itself..

As far as Im concerned, all of my drivers are up to date. Bios is latest version (they have a beta out but I didnt want to update to the beta). Windows is all updated, GPU drivers are updated.. etc.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

NEW RIG

MOBO: msi tomahawk b550
CPU: AMD 5900x
GPU: Gigabyte OC 4070 ti
MEMORY: 2x16gb ddr4 3200mhz
WINDOWS DRIVE: 250gb Samsung 860 Evo (sata)
PSU: EVGA 850w B5 bronze rated

easier place to look would be reliability history, it will show any occasions the drivers might be restarting.

every windows PC on earth has DCOM events, they windows database errors.

is the black screen before or after logon?

have you run DDU and reinstalled the Nvidia drivers, just to see if it helps? https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/
The black screen happens sometimes right as the login screen comes up. Or right as I log in.

Soon as the black screen goes away I can tell that my Windows Display Calibration settings kick in. Like gamma, contrast, brightness.. etc.

This wouldnt be the gpu driver I dont think. And yes I have fully reinstalled the gpu driver.

Funny thing though, while doing all this during this post, I got a developer channel Windows update. I updated to it... the issue did not happen upon login or on the login screen.

I wasnt too familiar with the dev channel and didnt realize the releases are very unstable and can cause data loss. So I switched to the beta channel and clicked the "opt out of preview builds on next major release" .. and then reset to the last version of windows.. then BOOM, issue came back.

So Im thinking its just this build of Windows.

I guess my next question is, is will I ONLY receive preview builds for updates until the next major update or will I still receive updates for the version I am running?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Dev channel is cutting edge, its where all the experimental features are. Why even use beta now? Easier to use release version as drivers works with it.

I think with dev builds the only way to get regular is a clean install. That is how it was a year ago.

I was on the beta version and switched just before they released windows 11, I haven't had to reeinstall since as I recieved updates until 22H2 was released. It might be the same for you.

Dev channel is cutting edge, its where all the experimental features are. Why even use beta now? Easier to use release version as drivers works with it.

I think with dev builds the only way to get regular is a clean install. That is how it was a year ago.
I found a article saying if you reverse back to a previous build, my stable windows 11 build, and then click "beta" or "release preview" you can then click the "unenroll at next major update" option instead of being forced to fresh install. I JUST got all my programs and files back on the drive.

So it worked and I now am unenrolling at the next major update.

Should I not use beta either should I switch to the release preview channel?

It has already given me the option to now install the beta preview version "22624" ..

Apparently I am currently on version 22621 ..

However I didnt realize it then starts giving me updates for unstable windows and stuff so I just wanted to go back to my stable windows 11 without fresh installing. Plus I didnt realize it'd add a watermark.

I guess my biggest question is, can I just NOT install preview builds from here, like will I still get regular windows updates since Im back on my normal windows version?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Last edited:
Reactions: Jason H.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Version is 22H2
Build is 22621.1265.

22621 is the build for 22H2, 1265 is the update version.
The second number series in the build number changes everytime they release a cumulative update

beta build is 22624, so its a different version to the release. So it may have different features and problems that the updates fix, so no.

you can download the installer for the normal version. You need to drop out of insiders if you want to use normal version. Otherwise windows update will install it.

this shows all you needed to do was what you had done before - https://windowsreport.com/dev-channel-to-beta-channel/
No need to reinstall at all anymore.
I am on 22621.1265

you need to leave the insider program https://insider.windows.com/en-us/leave-program to stop getting previews

it should give you updates for the version you are on. So if 22621, you get monthly cumulative update. Not out yet
now are u aware of anything potentially causing my issue on this build and how I can troubleshoot it?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its seems like it applies my Windows display calibration.
did you set up a color setting in windows?
Do you have any drivers installed for the monitor? you don't need them normally but some do have them... I just thought I ask.
have you tried safe mode to see if its the same? it would mainly test the logon screen as you can't really run programs that need drivers in it.

I am not aware of any problems in windows that would cause this, but I haven't been taking much notice in recent months, I took a break from answering questions.