[SOLVED] Windows 11 (and 10 also before that) becomes unresponsive after coming out of sleep mode ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S1nFuL_

Prominent
Sep 2, 2021
Dear PC Enthusiasts

I'm already several months encountering an issue with my PC (and been troubleshooting quite some time on it), but from today I gave up searching around Google and would like some input from the community here.

====================
Problem Description
====================

So the issue started several months ago with Windows randomly freezing out of the blue, nothing is responsive anymore not mouse or keyboard and any key combinations
I can't remember doing anything special, but of course it's been quite a while already, so maybe I forgot something.

==============
Steps Tried
==============

So In the meantime I've already done multiple attempts of resolving the issue, but so far no luck.
Here's what I've done so far:

• Clean installation of Windows (with keeping files) => temporarily resolved the issue but after 2 months it came back again ;(
  • Scan file system sfc /scannow, Repairing Windows Image with DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth and the necessary commands, Checkdisk with chkdsk command => reported some issues but afterwards these were repaired and didn't report anymore
  • Reset graphics drivers with the Win+Ctrl+Shift+B shortcut => no luck as no keys work at the moment of the freeze
  • Upgraded to W11 => issue disappeared temporarily, but came back after a while
  • Checked event viewer and system reliability report to see if any issues were logged, but no luck (most of the time)
=============
Steps To take
=============

These steps haven't been done yet, but I'm planning to do these

• S.M.A.R.T. checks on all my disks
  • Memory test to detect any faulty RAM
  • GPU benchmark to detect any GPU issues
  • Processor benchmark to detect any CPU issues
When I boot the PC there are no EZ debug LEDs are flashing or stuck, so this doesn't lead to any h/w issue's at first I would assume?

Any tips or suggested troubleshooting steps are welcome because it annoys the hell out of me when this occurs.

What I've also noticed so far (and will continue to observe) is that it always seems to happen when the PC comes out of sleep mode, which means I could disable this as a quick fix, but I'd like to have a root cause.

If anybody could point me in the right direction or has had a similar experience and could help, I would be grateful forever.

Many thanks in advance!

Best regards

Ian

PS Will attach some output later as well.

Reactions: mollyvaynerchuck
Solution
if turning fast startup off helps at all, the cause is likely an old driver.

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might...
Jan 13, 2022
Hi there ian, based in my opinion if u put ur pc into sleep mode the only thing thats still on and running is ur RAM, so the problem is not with ur graphics card or CPU . Since u have tried clean uninstall and reinstall windows then the problem is not your windows (the first time i read your post i thought its the windows and i wanted to reccomend u have to update ur windows hahahaha) . I think the problem is either ur RAM or disk drive (SSD/HDD where u installed ur windows), try removing the ram and scrub an eraser into your ram’ pin (those long gold pins), or if u have another set of ram u might want to try swapping it with your current RAM. I’ve had similiar issues like years ago but in my case the screen turned blue with some texts on it, i hope you’ll be able to find the problem very soon and hope this helps. Cheers.

Reactions: S1nFuL_

S1nFuL_

Prominent
Sep 2, 2021
Hi Steven

Thanks for the response!
I tried your suggestions, partially as in checking my RAM with memtest86 and my boot drive with HDTune, both of them passed, indicating this should not be the issue I assume.
However, I've now found another post which has similar symptoms as I had, which recommends disabling fast startup and hybrid sleep to resolve the issue.
I now disabled fast startup (didn't disable hybrid sleep as I didn't find it) and hope this might do the trick.
Fingers crossed by now 🤞

Best regards
Ian

Colif

Win 11 Master
if turning fast startup off helps at all, the cause is likely an old driver.

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.

Solution

S1nFuL_

Prominent
Sep 2, 2021
Hi All,

It's been a while that I responded to this thread, apologies for that.
I now noticed that is actually not when I take the PC out of sleep mode, but when I unlock it (my bad 😅).
It happens very sporadically (luckily) and I now noticed the following entry in my Reliability Monitor.

"A problem with the hardware has caused Windows to stop working properly."

Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 193
Parameter 1: 815
Parameter 2: 2
Parameter 3: ffffdc0f6dd5f080
Parameter 4: 0
Versie besturingssysteem: 10_0_22000
Servicepack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
Versie van besturingssysteem: 10.0.22000.2.0.0.256.48
Landinstelling-id: 1033

When I do a quick Google to see what device is involved by that, they do say it's the RAM ⇒ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...olved-in/fccc584d-e632-4ae7-ba75-c62371de6cf5
However, I did MEMTEST86+ a while ago, and it didn't report any errors. I did an HD Tune as well for my disks and this didn't report any errors either.

Any clue where to look next??

Thanks!

Best regards

Ian

Colif

Win 11 Master
what are specs of the PC? if you can tell me motherboard make/model I go see if any new drivers that might help

The LiveKernelEvent 193 error can be occurred due to an incompatible or outdated chipset driver which is responsible for controlling the communications between CPU, GPU, hard drive, and the system memory.

list of your installed drivers might help too, I shows link on my previous post.

Last edited:
bugcheck decimal 193 = 0xc1 =

SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION

check to see if there is a minidump file

hard tell the cause without looking in the debugger.
the log info is in decimal and you have to convert it to hex to figure out things.
also you can not always trust the log. lots of errors in the logging.

looks like a driver accessed memory location 815, wrote 2 bytes that it should not have accessed. the memory location should be bogus but the memory dump might name the driver
the last parameter is 0 which is not in the docs. (best to look at the minidump for the info)
could be a common type of error for a driver.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

S1nFuL_

Prominent
Sep 2, 2021
Hi Colif

Thank you very much for the assistance/time so far.
Please find the specs of my PC below.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
SSD : Intel 660p 2TB M.2
PSU : Corsair RM650x PSU
Motherboard : MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
GPU : MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER GAMING X
RAM : G.Skill DDR4 Trident-Z 2x8GB 3200Mhz CL16 RGB
NIC : Asus PCE-AC68
SSD : Samsung 860 QVO 2TB

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I will run the tool you mentioned earlier to list my drivers and post that as well in a bit.

Thanks you very much

Best regards
Ian

S1nFuL_

Prominent
Sep 2, 2021
Hi johnbl.

I do have a memory.dmp file, although it is from the 2nd of April, whilst my latest error in the reliability monitor occurred on the 3rd of April.
So I think it won't be useful for the particular issue, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

I did a memory check a while ago, as mentioned, and it didn't report any failures.
Should I perhaps do one again, just to be sure?

Kind regards
Ian

S1nFuL_

Prominent
Sep 2, 2021

Hi Colif

Maybe a silly question, but could it be that it was running without any chipset drivers, or that Windows tried to install the most suitable for this ?
I was checking on the web how I could verify what version I was currently running and so on, and noticed that this was missing in my software (see picture), so installed the latest one by now.

View: https://imgur.com/Q5vkR39

Maybe we should now evaluate whether the problem reoccurs or not, or should we continue doing other stuff already?

Kind regards
Ian

Colif

Win 11 Master
its possible you didn't have any, I don't have any way to confirm it.
If you didn't go to the website of the motherboard after installing windows the first time, and MSI don't supply a package of drivers to Microsoft for installation on the motherboard, then its possible you didn't have any.

I suggest waiting to see if you crash again before doing anything else.

S1nFuL_

Prominent
Sep 2, 2021
Hi Guys,

Unfortunately, the issue reoccurred today, a few minutes ago.
I had to shut down my PC via the power button, as it was completely unresponsive again.
I just ran the Hardware Troubleshooter to check if this points me in the right direction, but no luck.
Furthermore, I also checked my software to make sure NordVPN is not installed, as I've read this could be the root cause of this error possibly, but this is not installed either.
Can someone advise me what to do next??

Thanks!

Kind regards
Ian

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you had any BSOD? As the dumps are what we are still missing.

any events showing in event viewer around time of freeze?

Guy above you "fixed" it by reinstalling windows 10. but looking at his PC compared to yours, there are no matching parts. I had thought maybe there was.

have you actually clean installed windows 11?
Clean installation of Windows (with keeping files)
unless you kept files by having them on another drive and just copied them back over again, you can't clean install and keep files. You can reset and keep files but that isn't the same thing. A clean install wipes the entire drive C is on and starts again. No left over files.
What I normally do is have all my documents and other library folders on a 2nd hdd so when I need to clean install, all I lose is windows, and other applications that need to be reinstalled with windows.
If you getting same problem on 10 & 11, it could be an old setting. A clean start could fix it for good.

you have two 2tb ssd, I hope you have space :)

Last edited:

S1nFuL_

Prominent
Sep 2, 2021
Hi Colif,

No BSOD, just a freeze of my screen. I notice this because my two other monitors go in stand-by mode then and the main one just has a frozen screen.
Therefore, it didn't generate a dump as far as I know it only does this on BSODs, because I have it enabled though. Or am I missing something else?
I might try a 100% clean install indeed. Because what I did last time wasn't a full one indeed, rather a reset. Apologies for the wrong usage of terms.
I will copy my profile (documents, etc.) to a second external drive and try to completely reinstall Windows 11 from a bootable USB.
If you have any other faster suggestions, feel free to mention these.

Thanks in advance for the help and time so far!

Best regards
Ian

Colif

Win 11 Master
no problem about wrong words, its a common thing.

On another PC, download the Media creation tool (2nd link) or ISO (3rd link) and use it to make win 11 installer - https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11

boot from installer
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/ (its mostly the same as 11)

library locations.
I have found it helps to make the destination folders on other drive before starting
https://www.dummies.com/article/tec...ocation-of-user-folders-in-windows-10-140269/ (I use site as they have clear instructions, no other reason)
Be careful when moving to confirm the destination folder is right before saying ok to moving as making an entire ssd the documents folder is annoying

S1nFuL_

Prominent
Sep 2, 2021
no problem about wrong words, its a common thing.

On another PC, download the Media creation tool (2nd link) or ISO (3rd link) and use it to make win 11 installer - https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11

boot from installer
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/ (its mostly the same as 11)

library locations.
I have found it helps to make the destination folders on other drive before starting
https://www.dummies.com/article/tec...ocation-of-user-folders-in-windows-10-140269/ (I use site as they have clear instructions, no other reason)
Be careful when moving to confirm the destination folder is right before saying ok to moving as making an entire ssd the documents folder is annoying

Hi Colif,

After some 'procrastination' 😅 (something we all struggle with sometimes, hehe), I started of with the first step.
The backup phase... after a bit of researching and comparing, I decided to go along with this tutorial, as it seems more convenient or closer to a 'full backup' than the other tutorial.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...story-in/d269ab57-69e9-4467-9d06-3f13631e47d4

Not to be stubborn or something, but it seemed more applicable to my needs, however, I bookmarked yours as well, as it can be interesting when I only need to back up the libraries itself.
Maybe it turns out the same, maybe not, anyhow the backup is currently running and as I'm typing this I'm going to prep my bootable USB with Windows 11.
As soon as both steps are done, and I reinstalled a clean version of Windows 11, I will let you know the outcome.
Then we can evaluate for a few weeks/months if the issue is permanently gone or not.

Thanks again by now for your assistance and patience with me so far, and let's hope this resolves the issue for good.

Kind regards
Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.