[SOLVED] Windows 11 and Sleep/Power On

Kreskova

Commendable
Sep 27, 2020
Hey Guys,

I've recently upgraded to windows 11.
Since that I've noticed a very strange behaviour.

1. After shutting down my PC, I need to press the Power button twice(or 3 times) to turn it on.
  • pressing once will just make the LEDs turn on then off again.
  • pressing once and leaving it does nothing.
  • pressing and holding a little longer does nothing.
2. After Windows goes to Sleep, it does not wake up again.
  • apparently after I set it to sleep, it just shuts down
  • does not react to keyboard, mice
  • I can only turn it on by pressing the Power button, and I experience the issue above.
What I've tried so far:
  • Power plan options (from Hibernate to fast sleep, to every "FIX" I could find) and nothing helped, not even remotly.
  • Reset Bios => nothing
  • I've stress tested my current PSU but it does not seem to have any issues.
  • I've ordered a New PSU since mine, a be Quiet! is quite old, it has not arrived yet, but I fear that its not the PSU to blame.

I've made a video, where you can see that the system powers on only after pressing power twice in rapid successions.
Video Here

The sound you hear is the HDD spinning up and down.

Any pointers on what the issue might be?

Specs
CPU: Ryzen 3700x
MOBO: TUF B450-Plus Gaming Rev X.0x
RAM: 2x16/2x8 TUF Team Delta T-Force
GPU: GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid
PSU: BQT P7-PRO 550W

Drives:
  • ADATA SX8200PNP - 480gb M.2
  • KINGSTON SA400S37 - 240G 240GB SSD
  • WDS WD3200AAJS - 300 GB HDD
Cooling
  • Artic Bionix P140mm x 3
  • Artic Bionix F140mm x 1
  • Artic Bionix P120mm x 2
  • Artic Bionix F120mm x 2

Last edited:
What are your full hardware specs, including exact model numbers when possible?

Have you tried disabling hibernation completely?

To disable Hibernation:

The first step is to run the command prompt as administrator. In Windows 10, you can do this by right clicking on the start menu and clicking "Command Prompt (Admin)"
Type in "powercfg.exe /h off" without the quotes and press enter. If you typed it in correctly, the cursor will simply start at a new line asking for new input
Now just exit out of command prompt and restart the system.

Hey Guys,

I've recently upgraded to windows 11.
Since that I've noticed a very strange behaviour.

1. After shutting down my PC, I need to press the Power button twice(or 3 times) to turn it on.
  • pressing once will just make the LEDs turn on then off again.
  • pressing once and leaving it does nothing.
  • pressing and holding a little longer does nothing.
2. After Windows goes to Sleep, it does not wake up again.
  • apparently after I set it to sleep, it just shuts down
  • does not react to keyboard, mice
  • I can only turn it on by pressing the Power button, and I experience the issue above.
What I've tried so far:
  • Power plan options (from Hibernate to fast sleep, to every "FIX" I could find) and nothing helped, not even remotly.
  • Reset Bios => nothing
  • I've ordered a New PSU since mine, a be Quiet! is quite old, but I've stress tested it and it seems to have no issues.
Any pointers on what the issue might be?
What's you motherboard and have you updated the bios for the system to fully support windows 11

Windows 11 has a lot of new/altered codes that required basically a bios on most systems to proberly communicate fully

Kreskova

Commendable
Sep 27, 2020
What are your full hardware specs, including exact model numbers when possible?

Have you tried disabling hibernation completely?

To disable Hibernation:

The first step is to run the command prompt as administrator. In Windows 10, you can do this by right clicking on the start menu and clicking "Command Prompt (Admin)"
Type in "powercfg.exe /h off" without the quotes and press enter. If you typed it in correctly, the cursor will simply start at a new line asking for new input
Now just exit out of command prompt and restart the system.

I've updated the main post with specs, and also added a video.

Disabling hibernation did nothing.

Have you had that unit since 2008? Because that's when the Dark Power Pro 7 units were being sold and if so that thing is about 11 years past it's warranty expiration and needs to be thrown directly in the trash and replaced with something that adheres to a much newer ATX spec than 2.2. Probably doesn't even support the required sleep state modes for Windows 11, but I am not completely certain of that.

Let's be perfectly honest here though, that is a not just a ticking time bomb, it's an absolute disaster to still have in your system. At five years old it was probably already questionable. At ten years old it was dangerous. At 14 years old it's like strapping M80's to your hardware, especially since it likely lacks the majority of modern protections, and if the PSU isn't the problem, it's probably the cause of it, because by now that thing is almost certainly bombarding your motherboard and graphics card with all kinds of ripple, possibly also out of spec voltage regulation, and likely has been for some time.

Replace it, and go from there if it doesn't solve the problem. Even if it is not the problem, it SERIOUSLY needs to be replaced.

Last edited:
Reactions: white.a.drew

Kreskova

Commendable
Sep 27, 2020
Have you had that unit since 2008? Because that's when the Dark Power Pro units were being sold and if so that thing is about 11 years past it's warranty expiration and needs to be thrown directly in the trash and replaced with something that adheres to a much newer ATX spec than 2.2. Probably doesn't even support the required sleep state modes for Windows 11, but I am not completely certain of that.

Let's be perfectly honest here though, that is a not just a ticking time bomb, it's an absolute disaster to still have in your system. At five years old it was probably already questionable. At ten years old it was dangerous. At 14 years old it's like strapping M80's to your hardware, especially since it likely lacks the majority of modern protections, and if the PSU isn't the problem, it's probably the cause of it, because by now that thing is almost certainly bombarding your motherboard and graphics card with all kinds of ripple, possibly also out of spec voltage regulation, and likely has been for some time.

Replace it, and go from there if it doesn't solve the problem. Even if it is not the problem, it SERIOUSLY needs to be replaced.

Was bought in 2013 if I remember correctly and I have it since 2015.
It had a 5 or 10 year warranty when I got it, but removed the sticker and dunno which one was it.
Since its a be QUiet!, I beleive it was a 10 year warranty, which means its still under :D but I long lost the papers.

I also pointed out that it was stress tested to hell and back and has no issues.
Someting tells me that is not this PSU, as these models were made with redundancy in mind from a time where PSUs were actually good.

Got a new PSU on its way, and I will see if that is the case.

That EXACT unit only ever had a THREE year warranty, as seen here:

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/bequiet_dark_power_pro_650w_first_class_review,2.html

And that Dark Power Pro 7 could not have been purchased new in 2013, unless it was old stock, meaning it had already been sitting around for quite a few years with the capacitors aging and metal whiskering going on (Especially since the use of conformal coatings to combat whiskering wasn't yet a popular process for PSU and motherboard product at that time like it is now. They didn't start widespread use of those until around 2013-14 for the most part.), because the Dark power Pro 8 models were already being sold and reviewed in 2010,

https://overclock3d.net/reviews/power_supply/be_quiet_dark_power_pro_p8_1000w_review/1

which means 2009 is likely the last time any manufacturing of the DPP 7 units happened. If you got that that unit in 2015 it was already at least 6 years old THEN, which put it already 3 years past it's warranty, and is now approximately 13 years old. Ten years beyond the point at which the manufacturer felt it could not be trusted to be reliable enough to extend it's warranty beyond that point.

Power supplies built in the last five years are RIDICULOUSLY better than anything that was being manufactured in 2008-2015, and in fact a lot of the platforms being used back then completely lack compliance with many of the necessary standards that modern motherboards expect to see (And often require) not to mention almost all of them were build using group regulated platforms which lacked the majority of protections found on modern power supplies (Or were so poorly tuned/set that many of those protections were largely useless even if they were present, but mostly, not present), as well as lacking compliance with things like the Haswell (And newer) C6 and C7 sleep states, newer high level sleep and hibernation states, not compatible with the alternative sleep mode, were WAY less efficient, many units at that time were the recipients of previously manufactured capacitors still in use from the capacitor plague of 99-2007 when millions of capacitors were manufactured using the wrong chemical electrolyte composition which resulted in widespread premature failure of electronics built using those capacitors. And so on, and so forth.

None of which DOES mean YOUR power supply IS the problem, but what it DOES say is that it damn sure needs to be replaced and that trying to make any efforts towards discovering what the problem actually is, if it is not the power supply, is pretty much a waste of time until it gets replaced because we might just be chasing ghosts and echoes.

What did you order to replace it?

Kreskova

Commendable
Sep 27, 2020
That EXACT unit only ever had a THREE year warranty, as seen here:

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/bequiet_dark_power_pro_650w_first_class_review,2.html

And that Dark Power Pro 7 could not have been purchased new in 2013, unless it was old stock, meaning it had already been sitting around for quite a few years with the capacitors aging and metal whiskering going on (Especially since the use of conformal coatings to combat whiskering wasn't yet a popular process for PSU and motherboard product at that time like it is now. They didn't start widespread use of those until around 2013-14 for the most part.), because the Dark power Pro 8 models were already being sold and reviewed in 2010,

https://overclock3d.net/reviews/power_supply/be_quiet_dark_power_pro_p8_1000w_review/1

which means 2009 is likely the last time any manufacturing of the DPP 7 units happened. If you got that that unit in 2015 it was already at least 6 years old THEN, which put it already 3 years past it's warranty, and is now approximately 13 years old. Ten years beyond the point at which the manufacturer felt it could not be trusted to be reliable enough to extend it's warranty beyond that point.

Power supplies built in the last five years are RIDICULOUSLY better than anything that was being manufactured in 2008-2015, and in fact a lot of the platforms being used back then completely lack compliance with many of the necessary standards that modern motherboards expect to see (And often require) not to mention almost all of them were build using group regulated platforms which lacked the majority of protections found on modern power supplies (Or were so poorly tuned/set that many of those protections were largely useless even if they were present, but mostly, not present), as well as lacking compliance with things like the Haswell (And newer) C6 and C7 sleep states, newer high level sleep and hibernation states, not compatible with the alternative sleep mode, were WAY less efficient, many units at that time were the recipients of previously manufactured capacitors still in use from the capacitor plague of 99-2007 when millions of capacitors were manufactured using the wrong chemical electrolyte composition which resulted in widespread premature failure of electronics built using those capacitors. And so on, and so forth.

None of which DOES mean YOUR power supply IS the problem, but what it DOES say is that it damn sure needs to be replaced and that trying to make any efforts towards discovering what the problem actually is, if it is not the power supply, is pretty much a waste of time until it gets replaced because we might just be chasing ghosts and echoes.

What did you order to replace it?

Still doubt it was the PSU itself at fault.
After pulling everything apart, there was something dried out on the PSU, which was most likley the glass of water I spilled 1 month ago, I think it was water but the marks indicate something else, or the kids did something...anyway.

So the culprit was a short...
I am too lazy to open it and clean it, specially when the new one arrived, which is a seasonic gx 750, found it really cheap at Black Friday.

One thing I noticed is that the coil whine went away, so most likley some rails took some water.

If its plain water, its fixable, if not, I hope its not sugar, eitheway, I now have a backup psu.