News Windows 11 at Launch: You Don't Need to Upgrade Yet

Apr 1, 2020
The question becomes how heavy handed will Microsoft be at attempting to force Windows 11 onto Windows 10 users. Something tells me they won't learn from their GWX fiasco and I'll bet they start pushing, at a minimum, nag screens and nag prompts onto Windows 10 users as soon as Windows 2H21 is released.

Apr 1, 2020
Nah, the only version out of the box that was "perfect" was 7. And it was only "perfect" because it was really just Windows Vista SP2 with a shiny new taskbar and some other under the hood features that got backported to Vista.

Disagree. Windows 2000, in my experience, was rock solid from the start because it was so stripped down with a focus on stability.

Jake Hall

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2013
Windows 2000: 👍
Windows ME: 👎
Windows XP:👍
Windows Vista: 👎
Windows 7: 👍👍👍
Windows 8:👎
Windows 10:👍

I'm gonna wait for Windows 12 LOL

Reactions: LeviTech

USAFRet

Titan

Anyone that gives XP a thumbs up is looking through rose colored glasses.

You forget the total ridicule for the interface when we first saw it onscreen.
It wasn't until SP2 that it was actually usable and stable.

Reactions: hotaru.hino
Disagree. Windows 2000, in my experience, was rock solid from the start because it was so stripped down with a focus on stability.
Considering Wikipedia lists mostly features added to it (and it's a lot of features), doesn't seem to list any notable features removed, and the fact it had four service packs, I'm going to have to disagree with it was "stripped down for stability"

I mean compared to its "home version" Windows Me, it was certainly rock solid.

Reactions: LeviTech

randomizer

Champion
Microsoft has already committed to supporting Windows 10 through October 14, 2025.

Microsoft's support committments aren't worth much after Microsoft decided to stop supporting hardware on Windows 8.1 that was previously supported, and during the mainstream support period too.

Apr 1, 2020

Remember that XP was crap until SP2, Vista was only bad if you ran it on a machine that barely ran XP (which many people did, but with a Athlon64 6000+ Windsor and 8GB RAM it was smooth for me), Windows 8.1 fixed most if not all of Windows 8's issues, and that Windows 10 until 1809 was downright dangerous to use without update delays because you could find yourself with a bricked machine or your files wiped.

Future updates may make Windows 11 actually as usable and intuitive as Windows 10 became by the time 2025 rolls around, but until then I wouldn't touch it unless they paid ME $150.

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Toms published an article that 40% of Windows 10 users have not even heard of windows 11. Me? I am a DEV insider living with Win11 for months now. My opinion? Some improvements but not enough to bother upgrading. I feel that there will be a lot more changes ahead and some of them might be good enough to switch. For now tho? Sit tight.

USAFRet

Titan
Toms published an article that 40% of Windows 10 users have not even heard of windows 11. Me? I am a DEV insider living with Win11 for months now. My opinion? Some improvements but not enough to bother upgrading. I feel that there will be a lot more changes ahead and some of them might be good enough to switch. For now tho? Sit tight.
I postulate that even that 40% is wrong.

The majority of people neither know nor care what "OS" is in their system.

They buy it from BestBuy or Walmart
Windows versions, or even Windows itself. are irrelevant. It runs.
Power up, open a web browser or game, go.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019

Windows ME was not a sequel to Windows 2000. They were from completely different code bases. Windows ME was the sequel to Windows 98 and the last OS in the 9x series. Windows 2000 was the sequel to Windows NT 4 and became the code base for both home and business OS's with its sequel XP, though most enthusiasts never bothered with ME, and went from Win98 to Win2000.

endocin3

BANNED
Jun 12, 2021
This is the "beta" release new OS

Security measures and excluding "old" hardware because it doesn't have TPM will not make the OS hackproof, there will just be different attack vectors used against the OS, and guaranteed will continue to be a joke

Task bar will get "fixed" eventually, some functionality hopefully will return in windows 12, MS is still stuck in the "Everything is a mobile device or tablet" mindset, and its just plain not true and shortsighted. Win11 task bar right now is an abortion, and looks stupid on a desktop

MS has problems coming up with quality UI designs and they don't make users more productive, they are always in a state of flux, and they can't figure out how to cleanly and fully migrate to a new design modality, with clunky new UI mixed in with old, it's so disjointed, one wonders what their ultimate goal is, and why they can never seem to reach it

Whats up with the garbage in the OS (the weather reports, other useless <Mod Edit> like that) and the telemetry, really shocked that governments haven't cracked down on this yet, people don't want to be auto opted into it, and its too hard to opt out of the things that they let you opt out of, and no one wants, or should need to, have an account with MS to use an OS

Last edited by a moderator:

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019

ME is the worst OS evey created since windows 95.....I still remember installing it back then, Crash right after installation.....lol....

Reactions: Jake Hall

wirefire

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Everything a computer OS does that gets between you and performing a specific task is CRAP. the new windows 8 "mini" Start menu that requires an extra click to get to all apps... CRAP. The 2 control panels still lingering around 5 years later... CRAP (though that is more a 10 issue than an 11 issue). Integrated advertising, CRAP. moving the taskbar to the middle for no FUNCTIONAL reason, CRAP. change for the sake of change is not a positive thing, at best it is neutral and removing options is bad. so no moving the task bar is a "-" and I cant counter that with any "+" in the new design.

An OS at its core should adapt to the user... not make the user adapt to it. That is the philosophical difference I have issue with.

Last edited by a moderator:
ME is the worst OS evey created since windows 95.....I still remember installing it back then, Crash right after installation.....lol....

Yup had to reinstall at least once a month back in the day on ME. I don't know why I kept with ME and should of just gone back to 98SE.

And I love to hear people says how Vista was the worst OS ever. yea they never used ME. As someone said, with the right hardware Vista wasn't that bad. It just wasn't until SP2 that it became stable enough to really use and wasn't a memory hog.

bobalazs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
It's looks nice that the stuff is in the middle of the taskbar.
What if i have the taskbar on the side of the screen,in 10?
To be forced to use the bottom location only doesnt make sense.
I'm going to make a macrium reflect free backup now, and check it out.
Then immediately revert as i notice how crap this new OS is. haha.

Last edited:

Vladimir Iliev

Honorable
Dec 21, 2015
I'm with Windows 11 since one month and it's great. I'm sick of the ugly metro design used in 10 so it's great relief that this OS started looking good. I like pretty much everything there.

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
Microsoft UI is getting worse and worse after Windows7. It really seems to me, that MS developers live in a tech bubble and have no connection to the outside world. On W8/W8.1 they thought that everybody had a touch-screen and tried to switch windows desktop with a new tiles screen which was just ridicilous. And on W10, they removed simple drag-and-drop options on the taskbar, options that were already there on W7! Plus the fact that they have hidden scroll bars , which is stupid because PCs are not 6" smartphones and have plenty of screen space in order to create a always-there scroll bar which doesn't steal 0.5" of your life each time you want to use it!

But let's not try to fool ourselves. The reason W11 exist is because Microsoft wants to get $$$ from users like Apple and Google do. The once open-for-all OS needs to be less open system, and MS to get their fair share of 10-15-25% from every application you buy from the AppStore. They demand from you to connect a online account with your PC so as to compete with Google's platform. And they put tons of bloatware software of theirs, bloatware like Office, Teams, Skype, XBox gaming etc.

It's a shame...

Reactions: Quanticriver
Windows XP RTM/SP1 was Windows 2000 with added bloat and a Fisher-Price UI.
Windows XP SP2 was technically a new OS : when integrating the Service Pack in an original ISO, it would rewrite 95% of the ISO's files (everything but the Win9x migration subsystem, in short).
It also had rounded corners. Disabling those would free 5-10% of resources on the low-end PCs of the time.
Windows Vista was not finished when it was RTM; Vista SP1 was the basis for Win7 RTM. Microsoft dropped Vista like a hot potato when 7 came out, not because Vista itself was bad but because the branding had been made irredeemable - not only was it unfinished when it came out, but on top of that the class action suite caused by the "Vista Capable" debacle (caused by Intel's inability to provide WDDM drivers for their chipsets at the time) was still very fresh.
Win7 was good because Vista had cleaned the way, but even it had graphics problems - 2D elements weren't accelerated by Nvidia, Ati/AMD nor Intel at the time, making it sluggish. When hardware manufacturers finally allowed hardware-accelerated rendering and compositing for the UI, both Win7 and vista got much faster.
Win7 was the last Microsoft OS to natively boot on my PC; Linux only since 2015, and even then I was only dual booting it once in a blue moon to install updates in the unlikely case I wanted to play a Windows-only game. But, ever since 2012-2013 and AMD's open source driver actually getting good, I had no need for it - between native ports (Tomb Raider), good wrappers (Borderlands 2, Saints Row 3) and Wine (Starcraft 2), I hardly needed Windows to run a game I wanted to play. And it only got better since then.