[SOLVED] Windows 11 "Auto-Update" JayzTwoCents vid

jtoya85

Honorable
Feb 27, 2018
in This video JayzTwoCents talks about when Windows 8 auto-updated to 10 overnight on one of his PCs in the past, My question is if a PC doesn't meet the requirements that Microsoft dictates will the ones that don't want Windows 11 yet have to worry about this shady practice? From what I've seen in articles about Win 11 and AMD, R5 3600 here, I don't want to upgrade just yet, I want Microsoft to iron out some more bugs and maybe the PC community to find things that can be turned off and for me to have some time before Win 10 dies to get a better(maybe) rig in the future. I never used Win 8/8.1 and went from 7 directly to 10. I hope I don't have to worry too much because Linux looks a little complicated, to me, as an alternative but I haven't even done any research on Linux at all.

Solution
in This video JayzTwoCents talks about when Windows 8 auto-updated to 10 overnight on one of his PCs in the past, My question is if a PC doesn't meet the requirements that Microsoft dictates will the ones that don't want Windows 11 yet have to worry about this shady practice?
A system that DOES NOT meet the requirements will NOT update to WIn 11, automagically or otherwise.
A system that DOES meet the requirements will prompt the user to update to Win 11.
D

Deleted member 14196

nobody is forced to update.

Win10 will be with us until it is retired in 2025

just don't initiate the update yourself and nothing to worry about. I am not upgrading either, and after 2025 may move to Linux

Microsoft's strategy back then was to get everyone on board Windows 10 as quick as possible to avoid a similar situation where Windows XP stuck around longer than it should've. And while it was a questionable practice, the point of it was because Microsoft wanted to consolidate how many versions of Windows are out there in the wild so that they can address issues more uniformly. If Joe Schmoe is still on Windows 7 and a new vulnerability gets disclosed that affects basically every version of Windows, Joe Schmoe is going to demand Microsoft they update his OS, even though Windows 7 is EOL.

Now that Windows 10 is basically on everyone's PC, I don't think Microsoft is in a similar rush to get everyone to upgrade to Windows 11.

USAFRet

Titan
in This video JayzTwoCents talks about when Windows 8 auto-updated to 10 overnight on one of his PCs in the past, My question is if a PC doesn't meet the requirements that Microsoft dictates will the ones that don't want Windows 11 yet have to worry about this shady practice?
A system that DOES NOT meet the requirements will NOT update to WIn 11, automagically or otherwise.
A system that DOES meet the requirements will prompt the user to update to Win 11.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
I don't know where they get these ideas from that Microsoft "forces you to update", if worse comes worse and they did, just disconnect from the internet

Perhaps its a certain OS users that are peddling the myth, I honestly don't know why