Question Windows 11 Battery Drain

phillies2526

Honorable
Nov 22, 2018
Hello, I recently "upgraded" to Windows 11 and have seen a massive drop off in battery life. My laptop used to get ~7 hours of video playback per charge and now it sits around an hour. I have most programs disabled at startup and have battery saver on. I'm past my ridiculously short 10-day rollback period and I don't want to delete my files to go back to Windows 10. Does anyone know if there's an obvious solution to my battery life issues? Thank you! Look at the massive dropoff.

Last edited:
Hey there,

So which exact model laptop is it?

Typically when that happens it means the cells in one sector or another on the battery itself is failing.

It typically presents like this:

Your battery runs as normal, or at least looks like that. It might get to 80% battery, then suddenly it goes down to may be 10-20% or mins remaining. Then the reverse is true when charging. It might start out charging at the 10-20% we mentioned, for an hour and not move past 30% or so, then suddenly it's 100%! Is that how it's working for you?

phillies2526

Honorable
Nov 22, 2018
I have ASUS ROG Strix g513qy. And it seems that charging and battery usage are linear, with no big jumps either way. This issue started happening the week after I "upgraded" to Windows 11. I don't know if it is related to that as it took a week for the big drop off to happen.

After you installed Windows 11 did you THEN visit the laptop's support page and download/install all the recommended drivers which are specific to your model directly from the manufacturer, or are you riding on the Microsoft supplied native drivers including the chipset driver which notably is usually responsible for any present power plans and power profile configurations? But also manufacturer specific drivers often have a measurable impact on how much power a given device or component uses as well.

phillies2526

Honorable
Nov 22, 2018
Hello, I have an ASUS ROG Strix G513QY, and a couple of weeks ago out of nowhere, my battery life decreased largely. It was not a linear decrease, one day it just could not hold a charge like it used to. I ran the battery report and this is the weird part. Screenshot of battery report. Is my only choice to replace the battery, or is there something else I should try before.

Ralston18

Titan
How old are the laptop and battery?

What, if any, problems are occurring when using the laptop? Both on and off battery?

The Battery Report screenshot does not show the column headers. I can only surmise what some of the columns may mean or otherwise indicate.

First column appears to be (initially) a date range of one week (7 days).

Second, third, fourth, and fifth columns are some time measurement: hours, minutes, and seconds.

The %'s shown in the third and fifth columns match 16 hours divided by the listed time measurement. ( Using 16 for the numerator and the hours value for the denominator as a rough calculation. I manually rounded minutes into tenths. 6 minutes = 0.1, 12 minutes = 0.2, etc...)

On December 25 something happened that significantly reduced the recorded times and changed the date time frame from weekly to daily.

Take a look in the laptop's logs; Reliability History, Event Viewer, and Update History.

Look for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events likely on December 25th. Also look for any failed or problem updates during that time frame.

Being the holiday season did you receive any new/gift software or hardware that was installed on the laptop? Or make some other change?

Did you happen to use some other charging cable or otherwise do something different while running and/or charging the laptop's battery?

The last full week shown ended on 2023-01-01. Maybe some software bug that was not able to handle/accept the date change/rollover from 2022 to 2023.

That all said, take a closer look at everything.

Then use that information to go forward.....

FYI:

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1043914/