Question Windows 11 BSOD(s) - - - PC keeps freezing and auto restarts ?

Flaffino

Distinguished
May 26, 2016
I had this problem in Win10 where the Pc would gradually freeze over 5-10secs [only when playing various games, even just in the menu] to a point where i had to restart using the reset button. Counter Strike 2 triggers this most often.

I couldnt find a way to fix this so i installed win11. Now it doesnt freeze but just restarts on its own.
BSOD Stop code(s):
CRITICAL PROCESS DIED,
KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR,
SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION

Overheating is def. not an issue and ive tried reseating components and various recommended checks through cmd.

Some games dont seem to trigger this also windows and other applications such as 3d mark are fine.
I did not change anything such as drivers or new components to cause this.
Event viewer isnt helpful either.

Specs:
i7 9700F
RTX 3080 FE
Z-270A
16Gb 3000Mhz Ballistix
Corsair RM750i
Samsung 970 Evo

Thanks

Last edited:
Now it doesnt freeze but just restarts on its own. Sometimes it'll show a bsod for a split second but I cant read the error.
Turn off auto-restart on system failure in settings.
Then you'll be able to read info from BSOD.

Automatically-Restart.png

Overheating is def. not an issue
What temperatures are you getting on CPU and GPU during load?

Flaffino

Distinguished
May 26, 2016
Turn off auto-restart on system failure in settings.
Then you'll be able to read info from BSOD.

Automatically-Restart.png

What temperatures are you getting on CPU and GPU during load?
Thanks, that worked. The Stop code is: CRITICAL PROCESS DIED
GPU sits around 85° and CPU in the 60s° . Crashes happen in the menu too when the temps are still low anyway.

ubuysa

Distinguished
That BSOD is very often a RAM problem. Try removing one RAM stick and run on just one for a day or two - or until you get a BSOD. Then swap RAM sticks and run on just he other for a day or two.

Flaffino

Distinguished
May 26, 2016
That BSOD is very often a RAM problem. Try removing one RAM stick and run on just one for a day or two - or until you get a BSOD. Then swap RAM sticks and run on just he other for a day or two.
I already tried that. Either stick in any Slot still crashes

Flaffino

Distinguished
May 26, 2016
Ive been getting multiple stop codes now
CRITICAL PROCESS DIED,
KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR,
SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION

ubuysa

Distinguished
Upload all the dumps in the folder C:\Windows\Minidump to the cloud with a link to them here - be sure to make them public.

Also, upload all dumps from all sub-folders in the folder C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports to the cloud as well.

Oct 23, 2023
Howdy Flaffino,

It sounds like you are having issues with windows 11, and its a memory issue. Duh, right?

Can I ask if you have XMP on?

Flaffino

Distinguished
May 26, 2016
Upload all the dumps in the folder C:\Windows\Minidump to the cloud with a link to them here - be sure to make them public.

Also, upload all dumps from all sub-folders in the folder C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports to the cloud as well.
There is no Minidump folder there. Also The LiveKernelReports folder only contains another empty folder called WATCHDOG.

ubuysa

Distinguished
The KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR bugcheck happens because a page-in operation from the pagefile failed. That's typically either bad RAM or a bad system drive. You've confirmed that it's not RAM so the next suspect is the system drive (or the one containing the pagefile if it's not the system drive).

In addition, the CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED bugcheck is also often caused by bad RAM or by a bad system drive. Another reason to suspect the system drive. The SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION bugcheck can have a whole host of causes, but a flaky system drive is certainly one of them.

I would download Samsung Magician and run full diagnostics on the 970 EVO. See whether there is a firmware and/or driver update for that drive as well.

Flaffino

Distinguished
May 26, 2016
So I replaced the motherboard which fixed the issue for about 3 months. However, now new but similar crashes are happening. some as BSOD :

SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION
UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION

ubuysa

Distinguished
Have you checked RAM (with Memtest86) and checked the SSD as I suggested? The UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION bugcheck in particular is typically RAM or system drive related.