News Windows 11 Causes TPM Shortages, Scalping: Here's Where to Buy

Jun 17, 2021
Next week: MS removes need for TPM, scalpers left with 1000s of TPM they can't sell now.

Exactly. Microsoft isn't THAT stupid (this is arguable I know), they will change anything that isn't to much work to maximize their client base. If something lowers that, they fix it. Even though existing Windows 10 users can upgrade for free, a hell of a lot of people will buy the retail version. That's a good chunk of Windows sales. If a large enough client base can't install it, sales will not only suffer, but word will spread from the experienced users down to the people who don't know from friends, work colleagues. etc...

ThatMouse

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2014
Just think of how many 1000's of hours wasted people trying to get TPM working, possibly bricking their machine. What a waste of time and resources.

Giroro

Splendid
There is literally no reason to buy a TPM right now.
Even if you are in the very small category of people who doesn't have one, and actually needs any of the "none" new functionality enhancements offered by Microsoft's newest, slower, bulkier, buggier, data-stealingest, less-customizable reskin of vista.
The dumb thing doesn't even have a release date, but its like 6 months away.

Odds are, some opportunistic sociopath decided to spend $1Million buying out every chip they could find, hoping to corner a market which didn't even exist.
If missing a chip means Microsoft reaches the end of intrusively forcing non-optional probably-broken "upgrades" onto your system, then that's probably a good thing.

When was the last time Microsoft added anything to Windows that you actually found useful, or at a minimum could uninstall? I think for me it was the Snip tool, which they are removing for the objectively worse "snip and sketch".
Before that, the improvements were just a laundry list of making the worst parts of windows 8 have a bit more of the functionality of Windows 7; like ditching the unusable "start screen".

So maybe I'm just biased, but so far Windows 11 looks the operating system equivalent of a Samsung Galaxy S21.

Exactly. Microsoft isn't THAT stupid (this is arguable I know), they will change anything that isn't to much work to maximize their client base. If something lowers that, they fix it. Even though existing Windows 10 users can upgrade for free, a hell of a lot of people will buy the retail version. That's a good chunk of Windows sales. If a large enough client base can't install it, sales will not only suffer, but word will spread from the experienced users down to the people who don't know from friends, work colleagues. etc...
MS isn't a mom and pop store, they have clients that are huge and buy millions of copies at once.
Selling security to those clients is much more important then selling a couple of copies more to retail.
Windows 10 will be supported for another 4 years at least so nobody should be in a hurry, until you have to update chances are you will have upgraded to something that will meet all requirements anyway.

I got lucky and was able to activate TPM in the bios of my Z590 11900K build, so there's one module I won't need. When I loaded W11 I wasn't impressed since I don't care about the security aspects. It seems like a waste of time for me and I think most customers who don't care about security won't bother upgrading. W10 will probably be around as long as W7 and a lot of people won't abandon it, just like those hanging on to W7. I'll have to see later in the year if I can get an ASUS 20 pin TPM-L R2 module for my older H97 build, or I'll just stick with W10 there. I'm not going to upgrade that build until the next generation of hardware just so I can look at W11.

There is literally no reason to buy a TPM right now.
Even if you are in the very small category of people who doesn't have one, and actually needs any of the "none" new functionality enhancements offered by Microsoft's newest, slower, bulkier, buggier, data-stealingest, less-customizable reskin of vista.
The dumb thing doesn't even have a release date, but its like 6 months away.

Odds are, some opportunistic sociopath decided to spend $1Million buying out every chip they could find, hoping to corner a market which didn't even exist.
If missing a chip means Microsoft reaches the end of intrusively forcing non-optional probably-broken "upgrades" onto your system, then that's probably a good thing.

When was the last time Microsoft added anything to Windows that you actually found useful, or at a minimum could uninstall? I think for me it was the Snip tool, which they are removing for the objectively worse "snip and sketch".
Before that, the improvements were just a laundry list of making the worst parts of windows 8 have a bit more of the functionality of Windows 7; like ditching the unusable "start screen".

So maybe I'm just biased, but so far Windows 11 looks the operating system equivalent of a Samsung Galaxy S21.
Time to switch to Linux then. Unless you're already on it, then why bother looking at Windows anymore?

painkillah

Prominent
May 21, 2020
Can you post articles that are actually helpful instead of clickbait??? I don't want to know where to buy a TPM for $100. I want to know where to buy them for normal price. Give me a break.

Co BIY

Splendid
It is highly unlikely that a computer with a board that requires a physical TPM will be brought into WIN11 compliance with just a module.

Many (Most?) boards with TPM capability will still not have a supported CPU that meets the requirements.

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
The motherboard I now own, purchased 25 months ago on 7/07/19, and my Zen2 CPU, purchased at the same time, fully support TPM 2.0 (no module required) and AMD's PSP. Windows 10 upgraded to Win11 without a hitch. Windows 10 will be supported for another three years, at least, by Microsoft, which seems like plenty of time to upgrade people's hardware. There is absolutely no reason to rush to Win11 unless you simply want to.

Razor68

Honorable
Nov 4, 2014
Most - if not all - MoBos supporting the CPUs that will be accepted for W11 have TPM 2.0 built in via the chipset. The TPM module is MORE SECURE, but it's not needed if all your interest in it is to allow you to install W11. I suspect you could start with the chipset/BIOS TPM 2.0 capability and later upgrade to the TPM module when prices drop back to normal, though the process will likely be painful and may risk losing data. Most likely you'll have to disable TPM in the OS, disable the BIOS TPM support in the BIOS setup, install the TPM module, re-enable TPM in the BIOS but having it target the module, then finally re-enable TPM in the OS. This of course will require that Microsoft actually lets you disable TPM after installing Windows 11 so that you can do the switch.