News Windows 11 Dev Build 22509 Addresses Start Menu Complaints

joeldf

Commendable
Oct 11, 2021
How about a "no recommendations" option.

I mean, what really is the point of recommending apps in the first place? What does MS think it's trying to achieve?

It's my computer. I know what apps I have on it. I know what apps I need at any given moment as I use it. I don't need my PC passive aggressively "suggesting" to me what apps I should look at. Or whatever the reason is for the "recommendation".

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
Glad to see they aren't completely ignoring people. Reducing the recommended to just one row will probably be fine for me. Recently added apps go there as well which is marginally helpful. Although even then, most of the time it will be empty. So hiding it when there's nothing there would also be great. I won't hold my breath.

Nothing about the crap taskbar though huh? That's a bigger issue to me than the start menu. Left/right docking of the taskbar and never combine and I will be happy. Still not holding my breath though.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
At the beginning of Windows 8, everyone including me had problems with new Start menu, but they continued its development and we ended up a very flexible Start menu with Windows 10. I had nothing to add to it. It was wonderful.

But,

They thought that it was broken, and changed it that to thing in Windows 11. I am OK to remove Live Tiles if it is something that causes problems, but otherwise Windows 10 Start is perfect. You can not fix something that is perfect. And I want my Start menu back. Trying to reinvent wheel is a futile effort, give us back Windows 10 menu, and I want to click on taskbar and start Task Manager. It is something I can live without.

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
Yeah, live tiles to me was always a crap idea. The idea of sitting there waiting for the tile to change to see what little information it could show me was stupid and I always turned those off. But, I actually kind of like the general idea of organizing my icons (or tiles if you prefer) in a way that I like. The different sizes was nice in some cases to highlight the main ones you use and minimize ones you keep around but rarely use. I don't mind the switch back to icons in Win11 but I do miss the customization options. A flat list with no grouping or anything is definitely a step back.