Windows 11 ethernet keeps disconnecting.

adamekcerv

Reputable
Dec 23, 2019
My ethernet keeps disconnecting randomly, especially after heavy usage on Windows 11 Pro. It usually stays disconnected until restart.

My components:

• MSI B550 Tomahawk
  • Ryzen 7 3700x
  • GTX 1080 TI
  • DA850 Gold Silverstone – power supply
  • Patriot Viper 4 Series DDR4 32GB (2x 16GB) 3200MT (PV432G320C6K)
  • P5 M.2 SSD
What have I tried:

• Changed ethernet cable to new one. – I have tried both ethernet ports on MOBO
  • Reset modem settings and restart modem.
  • Almost all software tweaks that I have found online – multiple settings (reset network….etc.).
  • Upgrade network drivers
  • Completely fresh reinstall Windows 11
  • Change power supply and SSD drive.
  • Update BIOS to the latest version.

I'm currently considering that the problem might be related to Windows 11 itself, given that my other computer that runs on Windows 10 doesn't encounter the same issues. It could also be an issue with the modem itself or a possible hardware malfunction. Interestingly, when I utilize an external WiFi dongle, the WiFi connection seems to work flawlessly. I'm open to suggestions for potential solutions or fixes.

Last edited:

Richj444

Prominent
May 25, 2022
Does the motherboard use the Intel I225 ethernet adapter? If so, that's a very common issue you're describing, which is with the Intel adapter itself. Updating to the most recent drivers may help.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer.

Either one or both tools may be capturing some error code, warning, or informational event just before or at the time of the disconnects.

Especially any entries that are related to the ethernet adapter as posted by @Richj444 .

= = = =

Ensure that only one network adapter is enabled: be it wired or wireless. Not two adapters of any sort.

Disable IPv6 - IPv6 can be problematic.

Run the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also try using "sfc /scannow" and "dism" to find and fix corrupted files.

adamekcerv

Reputable
Dec 23, 2019
Look in Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer.

Either one or both tools may be capturing some error code, warning, or informational event just before or at the time of the disconnects.

Especially any entries that are related to the ethernet adapter as posted by @Richj444 .

= = = =

Ensure that only one network adapter is enabled: be it wired or wireless. Not two adapters of any sort.

Disable IPv6 - IPv6 can be problematic.

Run the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also try using "sfc /scannow" and "dism" to find and fix corrupted files.
1) On reliability history are some errors - so I have uninstalled all potentional apps that may caused it. I couldn't see any related to ethernet adapter - and I don't have intel adapter, but latest version of realtek
2) I have only one adapter enabled
3) I have disabled IPV6
4) I have run troubleshooter many times even reinstall of windows, without any luck
5) sfc/scannow find and repaired some errors but it didn't help. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth - also went through.

Ralston18

Titan
Time to delve deeper:

Is the Windows 10 computer a wired connection? If so swap the Ethernet cables. Determine if the disconnect problem follows the "Windows 11 cable" or stays with the Windows 11 computer. What, if anything, is printed on the Ethernet cables?

Make and model information for modem and router (or modem/router if combined).

The router's logs, if available and enabled, may provide some clue. Who has full admin rights to the router? You will need help from that person.

Also, on the Windows 11 computer run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Post the results via copy and paster. No need to retype it all.

[Note: moving thread from Windows 11 to Networking. More applicable and there may be other ideas and suggestions.]