Question Windows 11 freezes when sleeping, or something...

Mastiff37

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
I have a desktop PC, formerly running Win10, now "upgraded" to Windows 11. It has been unreliable in various ways since going to Win11, but the most troublesome is that if I leave for a while and come back, I sometimes find it unresponsive. I was thinking of this as a problem waking from sleep, but I realized that when sleep is working properly, the power button blinks and I press it to wake up. In this case, the power button light is constant. It may still be related to sleep mode, but I'd guess it is failing to go to sleep, not failing to come out. Any suggestions how to debug this? My drivers and Windows are all up to date. When this happens, the reliability history shows no issues except the "unexpected shut down" which came from me have to hard reboot the machine to log in.

Computer is home built and based on MSI Z390-A Pro motherboard.

I have a desktop PC, formerly running Win10, now "upgraded" to Windows 11. It has been unreliable in various ways since going to Win11, but the most troublesome is that if I leave for a while and come back, I sometimes find it unresponsive. I was thinking of this as a problem waking from sleep, but I realized that when sleep is working properly, the power button blinks and I press it to wake up. In this case, the power button light is constant. It may still be related to sleep mode, but I'd guess it is failing to go to sleep, not failing to come out. Any suggestions how to debug this? My drivers and Windows are all up to date. When this happens, the reliability history shows no issues except the "unexpected shut down" which came from me have to hard reboot the machine to log in.

Computer is home built and based on MSI Z390-A Pro motherboard.
I would guess that your usb ports/ hubs are going to sleep then when you attempt to wake the computer with a keyboard or mouse it does not get the signal.
I would go into windows control panel, find device manager, find your USB port that your mouse or keyboard is connected to and right mouse click to bring up properties, find the power management tab and unselect the option that allows windows to turn off this device to save power. if you have one hub connected to another hub you have to do this same procedure for the root hub. (this is often the case) some motherboards even do this as a bios setting.
if this does not fix the issue, you should run cmd.exe as an admin then run
powercfg.exe /energy
and take a look at the report.

Mastiff37

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
Thanks. I'll give this a shot, but it wouldn't seem to explain why the power button blinks when it goes to sleep properly and is solid when it does not. Note that this computer only wakes from sleep by pressing the power button when it is blinking to indicate sleep mode.