News Windows 11 Gets Some UI Tweaks With Latest Insider Preview Build

hoak

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
When I first heard Windows called a 'user hostile operating system' -- I thought this was a little over the top; not anymore... It's now abundantly apparent Microsoft sees the operating system as little more than a marketing kiosk, and data collection tool...

traxxmy

Distinguished
BANNED
Dec 1, 2015
Window vista, 7 ,8 all i update due to security upgrade and to use the new look but look like window 11 is the first microsoft update i gonna avoid as long as possible. Why the heck they want to make it so mobile or mac Os like

Reactions: JoBalz

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
There is some rearrangement and some tasks seem slightly less convenient with W11 than W10, like the one extra click to change from headphones to external audio, or to access little used programs that you haven't pinned. But there are also notable improvements in the ease of access and appearance of using a single hi res monitor, better security and a general higher minimum feature set for a higher min hardware requirement. My midrange hardware appears faster and better with W11 than W10 even if it benches the same.

W10 is basically W8.1. That was released in 2013. The pc hardware the typical user has is much better now than back then.
It seems that MS is just trying to update their os to match that. A ton of people are using hardware that supports x64, uefi, secure boot, tpm, 4GB or more of ram, 64GB or more HDD, more than 1 core, DX12, etc.. My 4670k with a plugin tpm supports W11 preview just fine. If you have some antique system that doesn't support tpm, pcie, ddr2, etc, W10 is still supported until 2025.

Let the rest of the world move on.

As far as the UI changes, it seems they are putting a lot of stuff on the table and seeing what can be improved and what people will regard as a reason to choose W11 over W10 and everything else.

If they don't look they won't find better. It's not like they will change how W10 or W7 looks.

JoBalz

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2014
Window vista, 7 ,8 all i update due to security upgrade and to use the new look but look like window 11 is the first microsoft update i gonna avoid as long as possible. Why the heck they want to make it so mobile or mac Os like

I'm considering remaining with Win 10 also. This will be the first time I haven't been an early adopter when a new version is released (and have been working with Windows since 1992). Things I use, they're deleting. I'm also no fan of a tablet-style UI on a desktop or laptop.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
To date, i still do not understand the purpose of windows 11.... I do not see any improvements over windows 10 (i think it will benefit alderlake cpus due to scheduler improvement).

Right now, for all of us not using apderlake cpus, all i see is that MS is changing the UI, introducing new bugs and packaging it as a brand new OS.....

I am not sure if any of the so-called improvements cannot be implemented in windows 10...

Jul 24, 2021
My biggest complaint thus far on Windows 11 is Microsoft is YET AGAIN trying to force users to conform to the way THEY want you to use YOUR COMPUTER, by making UI changes that a user can not easily undo. sure Right now one can hack the registry to make the start button go where it belongs on the lower-left corner... And one can use Openshell to get back the windows 7 style start menu. BUT we have to hack away at the OS to make that happen... Why is it that Microsoft just can not leave well enough alone and keep the platform in a professional state for those that want that? Businesses don't want to have to retrain staff to know where to click what to get to basic tasks. and they keep changing the start menu to be more like a child's Phone than a computer workstation... If they make it so the start menu has to be the way they are demanding it and not allow us to use ACTUAL programs instead of their garbage phone apps from a store, that will be the killer for me as an IT Tech... It's My Computer I should be allowed to configure it the way I want it, Not the way Microsoft does... that goes Double for companies!

Oh, and I didn't even get into the driver issues so far with scanners and printers and monitors... and a lot of payroll software right now will not even install properly on this OS cause it's missing key DLLs. I have to do a physical copy of windows 10 dlls into the windows 11 system folder to get it to work with some of the back-office programs and other accounting suites...

USAFRet

Titan
Oh, and I didn't even get into the driver issues so far with scanners and printers and monitors... and a lot of payroll software right now will not even install properly on this OS cause it's missing key DLLs. I have to do a physical copy of windows 10 dlls into the windows 11 system folder to get it to work with some of the back-office programs and other accounting suites...
Why are you trying to run payroll, accounting, and office applications on a pre beta OS?

D

Deleted member 14196

Why indeed would anybody try to run any kind of production system on this OS right now?

This is insanity

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
My biggest complaint thus far on Windows 11 is Microsoft is YET AGAIN trying to force users to conform to the way THEY want you to use YOUR COMPUTER, by making UI changes that a user can not easily undo. sure Right now one can hack the registry to make the start button go where it belongs on the lower-left corner... And one can use Openshell to get back the windows 7 style start menu. BUT we have to hack away at the OS to make that happen... Why is it that Microsoft just can not leave well enough alone and keep the platform in a professional state for those that want that? Businesses don't want to have to retrain staff to know where to click what to get to basic tasks. and they keep changing the start menu to be more like a child's Phone than a computer workstation... If they make it so the start menu has to be the way they are demanding it and not allow us to use ACTUAL programs instead of their garbage phone apps from a store, that will be the killer for me as an IT Tech... It's My Computer I should be allowed to configure it the way I want it, Not the way Microsoft does... that goes Double for companies!

Moving the start button to the lower left corner is also in the taskbar behavior options. Registry hacks lead to lasting trouble.
The start menu uses icons like a phone instead of the W7 list format and you can right click any program and add it to the start menu that comes up in W11. The rest are sorted another click or 2 away by default for cleanliness. It's been like 9 years since this change happened. You aren't complaining about icons in the desktop or as an option in the folder explorer in W7, it isn't that big a deal or some phone competitor would still have the list format, but windows phone 10 has been abandoned so you are out of luck. And you still had to swipe the icons left to get the W7 style complete scrolling list with that. The world has left W7 style behind and none of your new trainees know how to use it. They know phones.

Also for driver issues, try optional updates in windows update. Much better than it has ever been. Seems like it has everything but ones slightly locked by Dell and ones removed from public access by small manufacturers. It will probably have more than you need or want. If not, it sounds like you know your way around the internet version of a W7 driver disk.
But really, I wouldn't worry about commercial deployment difficulties in a dev preview build when W10 is still supported until 2025 for those who want to have as little downtime at work as possible. Your W10 installs are still fine.

A lot of options have been (and continue to be during this later development process) rearranged and will have to be found again. This has always happened, even back in the 3.1 95 98 me xp vista 7 days. It was just more frequent back then.

Jul 24, 2021
Yea yea yea, AGAIN, Microphiles come out of the woodwork to praise a company that continues to disrupt genuine computing uses for their eye candy added complexity for no reason crap of an OS. Windows 10 Pro was an acceptable replacement for windows 7 Professional ONLY after IT Techs like me FORCED Microsoft to make changes to allow for backward compatibilities and being rid of the mandatory tiles screen at startup over a year after its launch, which we warned about in the original beta... And yes Only because Open source programmers took over classic Shell and made Openshell replacements was the environment considered PROFESSIONAL, by cutting out all the useless garbage bloat on that tiles screen and the official start menu.

Oh, and testing working existing business software on a new OS is a mandatory step to evaluating it as a future replacement environment for ANY competent business with an IT staff that gives a dam and not just creating more problems with an upgrade to justify their existence in the company. If at this stage and a release expected in December is accurate, then we should all be testing EVERYTHING on this Operating System and reporting problems in detail to Microsoft. The thing is Microsoft gave IT Techs a big middle finger to all of us when they shut down TechNet and shut us out of the reporting of such problems after they were flooded with them during Windows 8 development... Now they couldn't care less, WE have to make our voices heard with our corprate dollars now and prevent the bad OS deployment till they address our issues. Like windows 8, windows 11 is on a fast path of skip it and forget it thus far.

D

Deleted member 14196

It isn’t even a beta operating system so why are you bothering wasting your time??? That is the question

USAFRet

Titan
Oh, and testing working existing business software on a new OS is a mandatory step to evaluating it as a future replacement environment for ANY competent business with an IT staff that gives a dam
Its not even a new OS yet.
It is not finished.

Anyone currently running on Win 10 still has several years to 'evaluate'.
As what any competent IT staff would do, and not freak out over an ever changing platform.

Jul 24, 2021
Its not even a new OS yet.
It is not finished.

Anyone currently running on Win 10 still has several years to 'evaluate'.
As what any competent IT staff would do, and not freak out over an ever changing platform.
Come Dec 2021 when they are pushing Windows 11 out through update and WSUS its going to be a problem, and will continue with endless nagware notices being installed on desktops overriding Group Policy settings... then before you know it cause of the mandatory update policy of Microsoft the choice is no longer in OUR hands unless we hack and slash the software to disallow it...

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Come Dec 2021 when they are pushing Windows 11 out through update and WSUS its going to be a problem... then before you know it cause of the mandatory update policy of Microsoft the choice is no longer in OUR hands unless we hack and slash the software to disallow it...
Your point?

it is of NO use for an IT staff to do more with Win 11 other than prelim evaluation.
The whole Win 11 subsystem is changing daily.

Win 10 is apparently supported until 2025.

Evaluate, yes.

"OMG, my payroll application fails!!" is not even part of the equation.
Why not bitch at the application developer for not instantly updating their application to track a changing OS.

Jul 24, 2021
"OMG, my payroll application fails!!" is not even part of the equation.
Why not bitch at the application developer for not instantly updating their application to track a changing OS.

Ah, that would be Dynamics 365 Business Central so I should be complaining to Microsoft right? yea....

Whatever its clear the Microphiles love windows 11 so never mind, you are not worth my time...

USAFRet

Titan
Ah, that would be Dynamics 365 Business Central so I should be complaining to Microsoft right? yea....

Whatever its clear the Microphiles love windows 11 so never mind, you are not worth my time...
So...

Somehow you've concluded, from all my previous comments on this, that I am a Microphile, and specifically a Win 11 lover?
Really....