Question Windows 11 Installer wont see NVMe drives

Sep 30, 2022
I've been ripping my hair out trying to figure out what the problem is here. I have an ASUS Z690P mother board and a couple of NVMe drives (WD Black SN850X and an ADATA SWORDFISH specifically.) Both show up in the BIOS properly but will not show up in the Windows 11 installer at all. I've tried loading a few Intel storage drivers(maybe they just weren't the right ones?) and Ive tried booting into the installer under legacy and UEFI mode but neither one will display the drives. Is there something Im missing? Never have had this problem before on other PCs.

The strangest part is the ADATA Swordfish had Windows 11, already on it and was working from the factory but it completely stopped working when I decided to use the Reset this PC option in Windows 11 to get a fresh install and thats when this problem began.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

will not show up in the Windows 11 installer at all
Could you please state where you sourced the installer for your OS? How did you fabricate said installer? BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time? Is CSM enabled in BIOS?

Sep 30, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

will not show up in the Windows 11 installer at all
Could you please state where you sourced the installer for your OS? How did you fabricate said installer? BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time? Is CSM enabled in BIOS?
Created a USB with the official Microsoft tool as a back up just a few weeks ago actually. BIOS version is the latest one as of today, updated out of desperation, no dice. CSM disabled by default but have tried with it on both Legacy and UEFI modes. Tried list disk inside the Windows 11 installer and it just doesn't see either of the drive at all.

Lutfij

Titan
Created a USB with the official Microsoft tool as a back up just a few weeks ago actually.
Try and recreate the installer.

Which slots are the drives populating on the board? For the sake of relevance, could you pass a link to the board you're working with? Asus have a couple of Z690 chipset boards.

Both show up in the BIOS properly but will not show up in the Windows 11 installer at all. I've tried loading a few Intel storage drivers(maybe they just weren't the right ones?) and Ive tried booting into the installer under legacy and UEFI mode but neither one will display the drives. Is there something Im missing? Never have had this problem before on other PCs.
1st - make sure sata controller is set to AHCI (not Intel RST).
2nd - set CSM to enabled and storage boot control to legacy.
3rd - (not really related to your issue, but do this regardless) have only single drive connected, while installing windows.
Or you may end up with bootloaader on one drive and windows on the other drive.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022
What happens if you only have one of the NVME drives connected?
The same exact thing. Neither one appears in the windows installer, in any of the ports.
Created a USB with the official Microsoft tool as a back up just a few weeks ago actually.
Try and recreate the installer.

Which slots are the drives populating on the board? For the sake of relevance, could you pass a link to the board you're working with? Asus have a couple of Z690 chipset boards.
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-Z690-P-WIFI
Couldn't find anything on different board revisions should just be this one here. I am using the slot underneath the CPU and the one towards the bottom of the board. Ive tried all 3 though and the result is no different. I have also tried recreating the installer several times.

cLCY4Dl.jpg

ylkh5vH.jpg

Here are images of the drives showing up in the BIOS and not the installer. Again, maybe theres a driver I should be loading here that I can't find or some setting I simply am overlooking in the BIOS, I'm not really sure.