News Windows 11 Moment 3 Update: Isolated x32 Apps, No RAR Support Yet

emike09

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Everyone's all excited about RAR support, but why isn't 7z on the top of the news headlines instead of RAR? 7z has always been superior in every way, and was free. Maybe because it was free, but having native 7-zip support is the most exciting thing of all of this. No more worrying about whether my client can open a 7z archive. RAR was meh, but better than zip, and technically you had to pay for it, so why anybody used RAR is beyond me.

qwertymac93

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
Everyone's all excited about RAR support, but why isn't 7z on the top of the news headlines instead of RAR? 7z has always been superior in every way, and was free. Maybe because it was free, but having native 7-zip support is the most exciting thing of all of this. No more worrying about whether my client can open a 7z archive. RAR was meh, but better than zip, and technically you had to pay for it, so why anybody used RAR is beyond me.
Agreed, native 7z support is a bigger deal than native RAR.

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
RAR and 7z native support is nice but it would be better if they let me use 7zip itself more easily. I don't really care much about the actual compressed format used. I use zip because EVERYONE does zip. But the existing context menu means I can't easily access the much better 7z application menu for creating my zip files as it's hidden behind the "Show more Options" item. They really need to make the context menu configurable so people can pick which items they want on them. Microsoft should not be deciding this for us.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
RAR and 7zip support is fine, but what most people want is Windows 10's Start and taskbar features re-implemented so third party apps like Explorer Patcher won't be required.
I would be happy if they just fixed some of the performance bugs they have and have had for a long time in Windows 11 that are not present in Windows 10. I'll try again with this update, but despite having lots of open support issues around hypervisor on their support forms, the issues never get fixed in these updates it seems.

Reactions: carvedinside

user7007

Commendable
Mar 9, 2022
Yeah if they made the right click menu suck less so I didn't have to patch the registry that would be great.

Hopefully they'll support passworded files properly as well (both creating and unzipping them). I swear it used to work, then didn't work, and I don't know if it works anymore or not as I always use 7zip (which does work).

Reactions: cyrusfox

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
Maybe I've been out of the loop to long, but I thought x32 applications were already run via wow on x64 machines. Unless this means running applications not downloaded from the MS store, which are assumed to be x32? in isolation, I'm not 100% sure what the x32 isolation buys users, x64/64-bit application can be every bit as malicious. Maybe what they really mean is "legacy applications"?

SonoraTechnical

Reputable
May 28, 2020
It's really called the Moment 3 update? really? is this where we are with symantics now? I just need to punch someone in the head .... sorry, that's all i've got to contribute...

brandonjclark

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Microsoft today announced the Moment 3 Update for Windows 11, pushing quality-of-life and feature updates for the world's most popular OS. But a new feature that isn't even a part of the update takes up the crown for most wanted: baked-in RAR file support.

Windows 11 Moment 3 Update: Isolated x32 Apps, No RAR Support Yet : Read more
When they say they will support .7z and .rar, does that mean they will support previously-encrypted files with password unlocks?

Will they support password-locking a .7z file you create?

"Support" for these extensions means not much to me if they don't.

Xajel

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
The same reason people were thrilled when Windows first added native ZIP support even thought RAR was superior at that time.

ZIP was more popular than RAR, and now RAR is much more popular than 7z, WinRAR can even extract 7z, so most users didn't care, unless they were actually looking for something better than RAR.

D

Deleted member 1353997

and now RAR is much more popular than 7z
I doubt it. I haven't seen a .rar file in over a decade, while I still occasionally see .7z in various places.
Examples of 7z usage include:
  • Mods (Nexusmods)
  • App/Game dependencies (or so I would assume if they mention 7zip in their credits/license)
  • Package manager downloads
In what industry/community is RAR more popular than 7z?

Reactions: emike09
May 25, 2023
When they say they will support .7z and .rar, does that mean they will support previously-encrypted files with password unlocks?

Will they support password-locking a .7z file you create?

"Support" for these extensions means not much to me if they don't.
this and will it also mean i can create a multi part split file as well? They are using the open source libarchive to achieve this a look into that documentation on that github page may give us the answers we seek