Windows 11 No TPM, No Secure boot

SufyLovesHardware

Prominent
Jun 20, 2023
So, I have a HP 1494 with an i7-2600, the problem is a motherboard that old DOESNT, have TPM 2.0 or secure boot. So what would happen I were to get Windows 11 23H2?

Should work fine, it just may not update itself automatically to later builds (that is, you may have to install 24H2 manually when the time comes, while the monthly updates install themselves fine) and of course is an untested configuration.

Rufus even includes a handy tick box to make installation media that skips checking for that stuff
screenshot4_en.png

SufyLovesHardware

Prominent
Jun 20, 2023
Should work fine, it just may not update itself automatically to later builds (that is, you may have to install 24H2 manually when the time comes, while the monthly updates install themselves fine) and of course is an untested configuration.

Rufus even includes a handy tick box to make installation media that skips checking for that stuff
screenshot4_en.png
I was actually wondering about that, is it just a good way to see what happens with VMWARE? I mean, I don't wanna be overprotective but also don't wanna destroy my computer.

Isn't Windows 11 slow enough even when run natively?

It's a desktop, and therefore easy enough to disconnect your Windows 10 drive while you install Windows 11 to another drive. Completely safe, and then afterwards you could plug them both in at the same time and use the BIOS to select which OS to boot from,

I don't actually have any Windows 11 machines that can't also boot to Windows 10, even the laptops. Because drives are cheap

SufyLovesHardware

Prominent
Jun 20, 2023
Isn't Windows 11 slow enough even when run natively?

It's a desktop, and therefore easy enough to disconnect your Windows 10 drive while you install Windows 11 to another drive. Completely safe, and then afterwards you could plug them both in at the same time and use the BIOS to select which OS to boot from,

I don't actually have any Windows 11 machines that can't also boot to Windows 10, even the laptops. Because drives are cheap
So in other words, i'd be fine.

So in other words, i'd be fine.
This way the Windows 10 install would be fine so you'd be completely free to experiment with Windows 11 without worrying about it. Running Windows 11 natively would also tell you it could run on that real hardware, while running it in a VM would only tell you if it can be run on emulated hardware.
Can't I just stay on 23H2 and not update?
Well sure, if it won't automatically update itself on unsupported devices--but then it'd be less secure than Windows 10 which is supported until 2025. 23H2 doesn't even come out until fall around Sep-Oct, but in the meantime you could certainly try the current 22H2 to see if you like it. I mean the primary reason for trying it now is to see if you could even tolerate a new computer which would come with 11. If you can't, then definitely wait to upgrade until you can see what Windows 12 looks like next year.

By the time Windows 10 goes out of support, your PC will be 14 years old and you will certainly have got your money's worth out of it. If after that it continues to work then with Windows 11 it'll just be gravy on top, even if not everything works or there are some glitches. Presumably by then it will only be a secondary computer anyway.

The wild thing is even though by default it refuses to install on old hardware, if your Windows 10 is activated then Windows 11 automatically activates itself too.

TRENDING THREADS