Question Windows 11 or Windows 10

Jun 22, 2022
Hiya, I'm building a new PC and trying to decide whether to install Windows 10 or Windows 11, I'm currently using Windows 10 on my laptop as I've been unsure about how stable Windows 11 is. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

USAFRet

Titan
Hiya, I'm building a new PC and trying to decide whether to install Windows 10 or Windows 11, I'm currently using Windows 10 on my laptop as I've been unsure about how stable Windows 11 is. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
There is really little difference.

I've been using Win 11 on my main system since the first of the year, zero issues.
Win 10 on all the others.

No real reason to avoid Win 11, and no real reason to chase it either.

Colif

Win 11 Master
For most features, it appears its just an extension of the work already done on 10.
Its 10 with a new wallpaper, but they did make a few other changes to accommodate the new Intel CPU designs.
Its not really better or worse than 10, its just slightly different.

If PC can run it, no reason to avoid it.

I have used it almost a year now and it just feels like what it is, windows.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Hot take: Windows 11 is to Windows 10 as Windows 7 was to Vista (at least with SP2 + Platform Update).
This might be true but the difference is win 11 wasn't rushed out because people had rejected win 10. Vista wasn't exactly loved, and still isn't. It wasn't a bad OS if your PC was built for it. But I realise it wasn't great. It beat ME.
Having used Vista, I recognised win 7 as just a UI change...

News flash... every update of windows since XP has been a UI change. Its only way to get people to look at a new version. I realise there is more changing underneath but you have to look hard to notice.

News flash... every update of windows since XP has been a UI change. Its only way to get people to look at a new version. I realise there is more changing underneath but you have to look hard to notice.
Nah, Vista introduced a lot of things under the hood that were for the better. There's a really solid justification for the version number to jump up.

It's less so for Windows 10.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021

referring to the part I put in bold. Microsoft did several "ways" to make me upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10.... 1. Eset antivirus cannot upgrade further if I did not have W10.. 2. Certain games I want to play, like Dead or Alive 6 cannot be installed if did not have W10. 3. Lack of windows security updates makes the system more vulnerable to threats. 4. Newer Nvidia game ready drivers could not be installed if I did not have W10 --- all these factors combined made me upgrade the last W7 pc in the house to W10. Today W10 is fine... but I expect 3 or 4 years from now, the same things would happen ... games, nvidia drivers, certain programs would work or can be installed only if I had W11.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i didn't know Microsoft owned Eset and Nvidia.
Sure are way more powerful than I knew...

Eset & nvidia put up the restrictions, not MS.

I don't know if you can blame MS for companies moving onto the newest OS for their latest versions of software.

Sure, if MS never released another OS again and had done what we thought they would and changed the name of win 10 to just Windows, then the rest of the software companies would have to think of another reason to make you buy a new version. Its not just MS who profits from a new version.

There are only so many customers who would buy the software if it ran on any version of windows. Some small software makers do but big ones need new sales to survive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tac 25

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
no need to get so serious. hehe

anyway, what I meant was.. there's no choice, W7 cannot provide what was needed. It was actually fine really.. installing W10 was easy, because it's the pc technician guys at the korean shop who installed it on all 3 pc my house.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
installing 10 was easy as my pc was only 3 months old at time of its release. The only OS I have not had a new PC just in time for was Win 8 and I just skipped it... as I didn't have a touch screen. That was it. My vista PC was replaced just in time for 10. My win 10 PC just in time for win 11.

I don't cling onto the past, I just accept the changes provided they aren't too radical. I don't use other shells to make win 11 look like something older. I don't see point as will come a day those things won't work, so might as well just get used to change.

Colif

Win 11 Master
yeah, i seen it mentioned in the version number string somewhere... can't find it but I seen it. starts with 10. I don't have any idea if it will change to 20 or something.

current version - 10.0.22000.778

given Dev build is also on same tree I guess its not changing anytime soon. I don't know what would justify a change.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
They're pretty much the same as far as functionality goes, except Win11 is a lot more secure, has a lot more quality of life differences and prob handles updates much more efficiently.
It also looks and sounds nicer too, like if Win10 functionality and Mac OS aesthetics were merged into one.