Question Windows 11 Random BSODs (HYPERVISOR_ERROR) Cause Unknown

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ConorDuey2000

Commendable
Dec 21, 2021
Hello. My computer keeps on getting these BSODs completely at random. They just say "HYPERVISOR_ERROR". I do have VMWare installed on my computer, but I have every VMWare service stopped and set to start manually. I've also never opened Windows Subsystem for Linux before I got that BSOD.

The cause of the BSOD is unknown. When I opened up "WinDBG" as an administrator, it told me that "amdppm.sys" resulted in the BSOD, but the process that caused it was "System". Therefore, I don't know what caused that BSOD. This isn't the only time I've gotten this type of BSOD and it's driving me so crazy that I've contemplated buying a new computer.

I've searched up "amdppm.sys BSOD" and I was told to change a registry value (I backed up my registry before doing so just in case.) and change my computer's power plan to "Balanced (recommended)" in the control panel. I did those two things, but I don't think that this will stop me from getting random and unknown "HYPERVISOR_ERROR" BSODs.

Anyway, here is the BSOD in question. Hopefully, you can find what's wrong with me computer and help me fix it.

By the way, my computer has an AMD Ryzen CPU, 16GB of RAM, an ASUS motherboard, and an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 graphics card.

ConorDuey2000

Commendable
Dec 21, 2021
Is your Corsair keyboard plugged into a USB 3.0 port? I wouldn't have thought so....

We will need to consider enabling Driver Verifier soon, but before we go there it would be wise to check your RAM. Please download Memtest86 and use the extracted too imageUSB.exe) to create a bootable USB drive (the drive can be small, Memtest isn't large). Then boot that USB drive and Memtest will start running. Allow it to complete all four iterations of the 13 different tests (this may time several hours). If Memtest finds no errors after the four iterations then restart Memtest and do another 4 iterations of the tests.

Let's see how Memtest goes before moving on...
Unfortunately, all of the USB ports on my computer are USB 3 ports. Two of them are USB 3.2 Gen 2, one of them is USB 3.2 Gen 2 with a Type-C port, and the rest are all USB 3.2 Gen 1. My keyboard needs to be plugged into two USB ports in order for it to function. Also, I'm wondering if it'd make a difference if I plug those two cables into the two USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports on my computer.

By the way, I've ran Driver Verifier for 48 hours with no success and I'm not gonna run Memtest86, now. I'm gonna use that as a last resort.

ubuysa

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
Can you disable, or better yet uninstall, the Corsair customisation tool (iCue?) temporarily just to be sure it's not involved. Do you have Armory Crate installed as well? I understand that Armory Crate and iCue don't play well together. The BSODs you were getting were consistently USB3 hub related, so we need to suspect everything plugged into those ports. If you have another, more basic, keyboard you could try that would be good.

Did you run Driver Verifier using the options I posted? If so, and you've had no BSODs then you can disable it.

ConorDuey2000

Commendable
Dec 21, 2021
Can you disable, or better yet uninstall, the Corsair customisation tool (iCue?) temporarily just to be sure it's not involved. Do you have Armory Crate installed as well? I understand that Armory Crate and iCue don't play well together. The BSODs you were getting were consistently USB3 hub related, so we need to suspect everything plugged into those ports. If you have another, more basic, keyboard you could try that would be good.

Did you run Driver Verifier using the options I posted? If so, and you've had no BSODs then you can disable it.
I have no other keyboards to use as a temporary replacement for my computer. If I have time, I can buy a basic one for cheap. Also, I do have Armory Crate installed because I have an ASUS motherboard. Do you recommend that I uninstall it?

I did run Driver Verifier using the options that you posted and I didn't get any BSODs so after 48 hours, I disabled it.

ubuysa

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
I don't use lighting at all on my PC, so I have no real experience of either iCue nor Armory Crate. I do know from other fora to which I belong that the two products generally don't play nicely together. I think the general advice is to use one or the other.

I can't ask you to spend money for troubleshooting, I was just wondering whether you still had an older keyboard lying around.

You haven't told us what your motherboard model is, so I can't look up drivers for it for you, but there may be chipset driver updates for example. You could also try running the AMD Driver & Support tool to see whether that finds any chipset driver updates. I'm thinking chipset because that's where the USB3 drivers will likely be. If you visit the support page for your motherboard you'll be able to see whether there are any USB3 specific drivers. Whilst you're there check your BIOS version. AMD processors use additional microcode called AGESA, this is shipped in BIOS updates, so if there is an AGESA update in a more recent BIOS it may be worth considering updating.

Status
Not open for further replies.