Question Windows 11 Restrictions & Security Questions?

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
Hi,

Do you need a Microsoft account and you are required to log into your MS account to use Windows 11 or during the Win 11 Install?

Can you use Bitlocker in Win 11 home or can you use Bitlocker without a MS account?

Is there any encryption tools in Win 11 home? If not what free encryption alternatives are available that takes advantage of the Hardware TPM? I ask because because Win 11 is all based on TPM and wont run without it so might as well make use of it right? Encryption that doesn't use TPM is slower less secure software Encryption?

Cheers,

USAFRet

Titan
Hi,

Do you need a Microsoft account and you are required to log into your MS account to use Windows 11 or during the Win 11 Install?

Can you use Bitlocker in Win 11 home or can you use Bitlocker without a MS account?

Is there any encryption tools in Win 11 home? If not what free encryption alternatives are available that takes advantage of the Hardware TPM? I ask because because Win 11 is all based on TPM and wont run without it so might as well make use of it right? Encryption that doesn't use TPM is slower less secure software Encryption?

Cheers,
BitLocker is WIn 11 Pro only.

For the MS account, it is really only needed during the initial install.
This is to get it activated. Or if you need something from the MS Store.
After that, create a couple of Local accounts, and use those for daily ops.

That's the way I operate.
I've had this Win 11 system up and running for over a year. Logged in to the MS account maybe twice.
Same with my WIn 10 systems.

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
BitLocker is WIn 11 Pro only.

For the MS account, it is really only needed during the initial install.
This is to get it activated. Or if you need something from the MS Store.
After that, create a couple of Local accounts, and use those for daily ops.

That's the way I operate.
I've had this Win 11 system up and running for over a year. Logged in to the MS account maybe twice.
Same with my WIn 10 systems.

I like to buy a Win 11 Home laptop and if my laptop gets stolen, I would like to Encrypt the laptop so the the thief cant access my data in the laptop. If it is for Win 11 Pro only do you recommend any good free encryption software app programs that's takes advantage of the hardware TPM in the laptop?

Jul 4, 2023
Bitlocker isn't available in Windows 11 Home Edition. You have to activate Pro edition to use Bitlocker.
You can also use Local Account on Windows 11. You can skip logging into your MS Account, if needed. But I don't have any idea if use Bitlocker with a local account because I have never used Bitlocker before but I have Windows 11 Pro Edition. So, I can use Bitlocker at any time. There are still many other free encryption tools like Veracrypt and 7-zip. But be careful if you want to recover files from a drive using Recovery USB or DVD, you won't be able to recover files because of high security created by softwares. You can use bitlocker for encrypting files as it has security keys. You can save these keys to your Microsoft Account.But it needs Windows 11 Pro to be activated.