News Windows 11 Screenshots Leak, Show 10X-Like Changes

revodo

Proper
BANNED
Jun 10, 2021
I called it 10 years ago.

The start screen was trash, knew they would ditch it, and they did. Live tiles were trash. They were eventually going to get rid of them, and now they are. Now they're copying Linux / Mac again with a floating menu, and rounded corners.

Not to say the design itself is bad, and as long as I can actually customize the start menu again, it'll be worth it.

The start screen was trash, knew they would ditch it, and they did. Live tiles were trash. They were eventually going to get rid of them, and now they are. Now they're copying Linux / Mac again with a floating menu, and rounded corners.
That's a lot to conclude from just two screenshots and we don't even know what the leaker did beforehand.

revodo

Proper
BANNED
Jun 10, 2021
Windows had rounded corners in XP and Vista.

Correct, which at the time was a desperate attempt to match the features of the new OS X UI. XP's UI was originally called Whistler, which I'm sure you know about. It didn't have rounded corners, and was fairly basic as far as the UI department was concerned. Microsoft realized how radical the OS X UI was and threw the Luna theme together in about 3 - 4 months. Vista ended up copying the drop shadow effect that OS X had since 2000/2001, and to their credit, pioneered the translucent UI effect. 7 polished Vista's UI, and 8 completely destroyed that work. Windows 8 even got rid of the drop shadows, when there was no reason to do. Then 10 put the shadows back, and 11 looks to add the rounded corners back.

It's infuriating because they're basically copying the UI design that they copied over a decade and a half ago. We've come full circle.

revodo

Proper
BANNED
Jun 10, 2021
That's a lot to conclude from just two screenshots and we don't even know what the leaker did beforehand.

There have been other leaked screenshots, and while it's not a complete image, if any of them are real, it gives a pretty clear image of the direction they are going.

Apr 1, 2020
I wish they'd stop changing frivolous stuff for the sake of changing them and focus on stability, security, and optimization. Once they shake their reputation for buggy, sometimes critically buggy, updates, twice a year upgrades, shrink the memory usage bloat, and improve Windows Defender so it doesn't take an age to scan and slow down opening folders with a large amount of large files, then they can start worrying about GUI elements...

And this goes for Mozilla too!

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Maybe they finally integrate ALL control panel options in one location intelligently accessed because we're not all idiots who can't handle settings. I'm still hoping someday my AD manager doesn't keep being removed by every dang windows "feature update". This is on enterprise machines, what a joke.

Soaptrail

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
Windows had rounded corners in XP and Vista.

there is way too much chatter about rounded corners. Why does anyone care? I want new features and functionality.

As long as the Start button is where it's supposed to be, I don't care. Don't screw this up, like Windows 8.

Yes as long as the taskbar can be put where is should be, vertical for all our widescreen monitors there will not be problems.

I wish they'd stop changing frivolous stuff for the sake of changing them and focus on stability, security, and optimization. Once they shake their reputation for buggy, sometimes critically buggy, updates, twice a year upgrades, shrink the memory usage bloat, and improve Windows Defender so it doesn't take an age to scan and slow down opening folders with a large amount of large files, then they can start worrying about GUI elements...

Sometimes I wonder what people do to their systems to get them in that state because I've almost never encountered serious problems.

excalibur1814

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Basically, if you can launch an application and get your work done, any changes are perfectly fine. Windows 8? No problem at all. Business as usual (Oh no, to shutdown I move my mouse to the side!! PANIC). Okay, Windows 8 did annoy a little, but they fixed most of it with Windows 8.1.

I too often wonder what people do with their computers. I use WIN 10 on three machines, day in, day out, all day long. Issues? No. None. Even the updating thing doesn't annoy me. Pay attention, maybe learn.

P.s. Your memory might be high due to that thing called Superfetch. Ever heard of it? Have a read.

Reactions: hannibal

Drazen

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2015
What about other changes, like raping users to use crappy UWP and MS Store?

Or even bigger problem, subscription?
They already killed Office and now is only 365. This might mean Win11 subscription.

Anyway, as usually MS first version will be crap. They have tone of experience with Vista, 10, ...

Reactions: phenomiix6

Agreed.
I will also add privacy to your stability, security, and optimization focus.

@hotaru.hino, it's not people (users) it's Microsoft. Microsoft is pushing updates/upgrades without proper testing. Whether they are breaking Microsoft Outlook, or killing printing, or having major performance issues, or deleting user files, to even the less critical bugs that are in EVERY SINGLE FEATURE RELEASE, Microsoft just doesn't even pretend to care about releasing updates that are bug free.

Last edited:

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I had expected Microsoft to finish implementing the Windows 10 UI before moving on to a new design with Windows 11. There are some system utilities that haven't appreciably changed in 20+ years. The Windows 10 UI is in a good place right now for everything most often used.

The new Windows 11 UI is nice but also seems like a distraction. I want improved performance and less resource use -- things that happen behind a fancy UI. Not sure if what Microsoft is working on represents a genuine usability improvement or just rehash of ideas tried in the past. All the padding/whitespace is concerning.

@hotaru.hino, it's not people (users) it's Microsoft. Microsoft is pushing updates/upgrades without proper testing. Whether they are breaking Microsoft Outlook, or killing printing, or having major performance issues, or deleting user files, to even the less critical bugs that are in EVERY SINGLE FEATURE RELEASE, Microsoft just doesn't even pretend to care about releasing updates that are bug free.
And yet I've not had a single serious issue as described. I'm not saying that they don't exist, but I also find it hard to believe that Microsoft is completely to blame when users greatly overestimate how much they know about computers and muck with things they shouldn't or add things that aren't necessary.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019

I wouldn't expect major changes to Windows Defender. I think that is one of those built in apps that MS is intentionally not making as good as it could be to avoid antitrust lawsuits from AV software companies. Remember how the EU made MS release a version of Windows without Internet Explorer which was completely idiotic? I doubt MS wants to go through that again.

Give us the base OS with all the necessities only. PLEASE give us an option during installation to NOT have to install unessential Microsoft apps. During installation, let us tick boxes next to the Microsoft app(s) we would like to install. If I don't want to use Microsoft Edge, Paint, Media Player, Photo Viewer, or the XBox App, allow us to NOT install them. I have my own apps that I prefer o use over those. Let us use the OS our way, and do not force all the other unnecessary junk down our throats. Pretty please, Microsoft! 🆒

I think that as long as we keep using keyboard and mouse as input methods it will be hard to make something that much diferentt.

I mean you need your old age buyers to keep buying and finding similar functionality and profesionals that don't like big ui changes.

Jun 10, 2021
So they just copied the UX, added it to current UI and put an 11 on the box?
Thanks MS, can't wait for you to take my monay!

Give us the base OS with all the necessities only. PLEASE give us an option during installation to NOT have to install unessential Microsoft apps. During installation, let us tick boxes next to the Microsoft app(s) we would like to install. If I don't want to use Microsoft Edge, Paint, Media Player, Photo Viewer, or the XBox App, allow us to NOT install them. I have my own apps that I prefer o use over those. Let us use the OS our way, and do not force all the other unnecessary junk down our throats. Pretty please, Microsoft! 🆒

D

Deleted member 2783327

I wish they'd stop changing frivolous stuff for the sake of changing them and focus on stability, security, and optimization.

+1 ... And telemetry. The OS is so bogged down monetizing our personal info and logging every keystroke.

If M$ spent as much time and money focusing on stability, security and optimization Windows might have been a half decent OS. Instead it's just garbage and IMHO gets uglier with every new version.

Sure, there are tools like nlite and msmg toolkit, but we shouldn't have to go to such lengths to get rid of reams of useless garbage. IMHO, as @DookieDraws said, it should be possible to decline the installation of this "malware crap" during install.

And M$ needs to stop forcing us to use Microsoft Accounts. It gets harder with each version to just stick to a local account.

It's not just "old age" people that depend on physical devices for interaction with Windows. I spend a lot of hours typing, coding and editing. It would be a nightmare trying to do that on a touch device. Many people still sit at a desk. Not everyone does all of their Windows work on a tablet on the move, or just waste their life scrolling through social media propaganda

Reactions: DookieDraws
Sure, there are tools like nlite and msmg toolkit, but we shouldn't have to go to such lengths to get rid of reams of useless garbage. IMHO, as @DookieDraws said, it should be possible to decline the installation of this "malware crap" during install.
And the moment that happens, people will continue to cry how many other "useless" and "malware" crap still gets installed and want more switches, buttons, and knobs for people to play with and potentially break their systems.

If you're a so-called expert, then use a tool made for experts and call it a day.

And M$ needs to stop forcing us to use Microsoft Accounts. It gets harder with each version to just stick to a local account.
I don't have problems making a local account or keeping it around.

It's not just "old age" people that depend on physical devices for interaction with Windows. I spend a lot of hours typing, coding and editing. It would be a nightmare trying to do that on a touch device. Many people still sit at a desk. Not everyone does all of their Windows work on a tablet on the move, or just waste their life scrolling through social media propaganda
I don't see what that has to do with my comment, but the funny thing is, most touch devices accept keyboards anyway as long as there's Bluetooth or a USB input (which thankfully, at least from what I tested, most USB-C devices are bi-directional so you just have to plug in a hub and away you go)

And if programming is primarily what you do, I don't see why you're not using Linux with a Windows VM if Windows is your target. Especially given the grievances you have.

And yet I've not had a single serious issue as described. I'm not saying that they don't exist, but I also find it hard to believe that Microsoft is completely to blame when users greatly overestimate how much they know about computers and muck with things they shouldn't or add things that aren't necessary.
And I'm not disputing whether you have or have not experienced serious issues. I'm referring to issues that Microsoft themselves recognize and list as issues, bugs, and unexpected behaviors with their updates, upgrades, and feature upgrades. Of course there are people who screw up their Windows 10. I'm not even considering them.

Microsoft's update QA has gone from being bad to becoming a raging dumpster fire with Windows 10. It was only a month ago that Microsoft broke the Outlook app for tens (hundreds?) of thousands of people around the globe with an update. Funny, when Windows 10 was first announced Microsoft said that it would be the last desktop Windows version, which would allow them to focus more on the quality of updates/upgrades. Of course, now we know that even them saying that Windows 10 would be the last desktop version was also a lie.