[SOLVED] Windows 11 TPM - "Discrete" or "Firmware"

Status
Not open for further replies.

atticus_maytrap

Reputable
Nov 12, 2018
yes, i know, it's another TPM related post

i DID read through the others here first, but nothing seemed relative to what i've got, so hear me out.

My CPU is new, i9 9900k, and is on windows fabled list of suppoted CPUS

Ran the Windows Health Checker thing and got the big "NO Windows 11 for you!" guff (paraphrasing, obviously)

Went in to BIOS to see about enabling TPM as per all the advice from the past week, only reference to TPM i could find was an option to switch from "Discrete" to "Firmware" TPM

I understand that "Firmware" would mean engaging PTT on the CPU, however the message at the bottom of the BIOS windows says that doing so will erase all data from the discrete module

This sounds very ominous

The machine was custom built for me, not bought as a pre-packaged thing - MOBO is a ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING btw - so im quite confident that there is no TPM on the MOBO at all, so it would be erasing a whole lot of nothing if i do this, right?

What possible pitfalls can i expect if i make this change?

Solution
I understand that "Firmware" would mean engaging PTT on the CPU, however the message at the bottom of the BIOS windows says that doing so will erase all data from the discrete module
This sounds very ominous
The machine was custom built for me, not bought as a pre-packaged thing - MOBO is a ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING btw - so im quite confident that there is no TPM on the MOBO at all, so it would be erasing a whole lot of nothing if i do this, right?
As always, make sure all your data is backed up and make sure you have a record (pics/notes) of all current BIOS settings.

However, if you aren't currently using a discrete TPM module then changing to PTT won't erase...
D

Deleted member 14196

backup and verify any data that you care about before doing anything of course. I don't think it's going to hurt you but always have a good recent backup handy in case something goes south.

Reactions: atticus_maytrap
All major boards have TPM support in the last couple of generations, including yours...
1 x 14-1 pin TPM connector
https://rog.asus.com/in/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z390-f-gaming-model/spec (Look in Internal I/O Ports)

This sounds very ominous
As always, make sure all your data is backed up and make sure you have a record (pics/notes) of all current BIOS settings.

However, if you aren't currently using a discrete TPM module then changing to PTT won't erase anything.

Solution

Joseph_138

Distinguished

atticus_maytrap

Reputable
Nov 12, 2018

However, if you aren't currently using a discrete TPM module then changing to PTT won't erase anything.
opened up the machine last night, def. a TPM module slot but its empty - so as you say, nothing to be erased

Status
Not open for further replies.