News Windows 11 Up Kills Undervolting and Overvolting on MSI Boards

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I have not experienced this issue on either of my Intel based W11 machines and both of them are on MSI mobo. Both of them have "memory integrity" enabled. The changes were made in BIOS on both machines. CPU-Z seems to work properly on both as well.

Adding to this...it also killed CPU core boosting on my 3700X and 5800X systems. And, as noted, monitoring was affected because I couldn't monitor CPU core clocks in MSI Afterburner. Although I could in HWInfo64, strangely enough, which is how I could tell core boosting was effectively disabled. One is on an MSI B450 board but the other on an Asus so this effect, at least, isn't limited to MSI.

I did not suspect this was the problem. I thought it was an effect of my recently updated BIOS so I reverted to one that, as it would have it, did not enable SVM (CPU virtualization) by default. So when I started up after reverting I was happy to see boosting was back to normal... until I enabled SVM manually. That's when I knew it was the problem. So, thankfully it's fixable (sort of): either disable SVM in BIOS or disable Memory Integrity in Windows' Security settings.

I'm sure it's an effective security setting for certain exploits so I guess you should only do this if you're comfortable of your internet security practices otherwise. I also expect it will be re-enabled with subsequent major updates (at least) so anticipate doing this again (disabling Memory Integrity) after they drop.

Last edited:

wr3zzz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Windows 11 update already killed one click undervolt on my AMD so I am not surprised. If anything I worry more about MSI BIOS update than not having the undervolt option. I went with MSI MB for the first time and every attempt of BIOS update has killed the MB. The first time it was still under warranty and MSI replaced it with one came with newer BIOS. When I tried to update the BIOS on that one after warranty expired it also went dark. I had to use the short circuit trick to bring it back. I've had Intel, Gigabyte and Asus MB and BIOS updates had always been problem free.

s997863

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
I miss the days when we could choose to manually install updates or not, after reading exactly what they were for.
I've been using the same old windows 7 image for years. It's so old that it couldn't connect to any updates or telemetry even if I allowed it. I've only recently had issues with MS crapware like Teams/Skype/MineCraft all failing at their login screens. A little internet searching hints that my W7 & IE need updates. A "convenience" rollout exists since MS wants no more "service packs" 🇳🇴. So now my Acronis C: drive image with the updated W7 is ready in all my USBs whenever I need to format/recover or move to a new PC.

hannibal

Distinguished
The extra security in needed. Most likely those programs works at Admin privileges and that is always security risk!
It is better that manufacturers would start makin more secure programs and not messing with system!

USAFRet

Titan
I miss the days when we could choose to manually install updates or not, after reading exactly what they were for.
bot farms and ransomware are why updates are now forced.

Give people the option, and the clueless will have all updates off, leading to mass infections.

If this were an option for the clueful (thee and me), it is also an option for the clueless.

Sep 21, 2022
I just ignore the security alert and keep it disabled.

It's a newer security measure sure, great, but as when I was a kid and refused to install anti virus software on my computer because it would slow it down.
I also found threats, would tear apart the code and submit data to anti-hacking orgs online when I was a teen in the late 90s...

The real threat is not from not having software based security enabled on your system, it's from yourself allowing something to take control of your system.

#1 means to prevent outsider threats is disconnect the internet from your system
#2 lock down your firewall (hardware), and software based
#3 educate yourself on what is safe vs unsafe sources to download from or applications to run

Most people are a risk to them selves for allowing applications that are risky and end up tampering with their system.
Windows isn't going to allow an application to tamper with memory being used by other applications or the system OS unless the user allowed it to, especially depending on rights allocated to the execution of that application or service.

Secondly, this much harder to be performed from an external threat unless you left a backdoor open.. which is often with things like uPnP and other services requiring static ports to be opened up on your firewall. But your system generally also has a local software firewall and services are only accessible if you allow them to be accessed remotely. Far less likely from a hacker to gain access then from software / application that a user installed.

It's still a great advancement in local OS/software based security.. but the threat is the human factor.. once you learn to think like a hacker which everyone should try to be semi conscious of the environment they travel in... Everyone looks left and right before crossing a street but people are less cautious online because the consequences aren't the same as getting hit by a car... Or is it.. problem is most won't realize the threat until it's too late.

Last edited by a moderator: