Question Windows 11 Update Bug

DPF

Feb 23, 2023
Hi,
I have an old AMD FX 8350 and when I checked to see if it was compatible with Windows 11 it said it wasn't.

Tonight I have a little blue dot in the task bar suggesting I upgrade to Windows 11, so I clicked it and there is a banner saying: "Windows 11, version 22h2 is ready and it's free"

Anyone know if this is a bug? or have Microsoft lowered the requirements to CPU's that only just cope with windows 10? :sweatsmile:

Ralston18

Titan
Agree with @rgd1101 - "don't"

I have a system that is supposedly Windows11 ready. Constantly being nagged to upgrade.

All the of the multiple tests claimed "Windows 11 ready/supported, etc. etc.." Not an old machine and up-to-date.

So I launched the update after all due backups, images, and so forth. Just in case.

Update seemed to be going well then didn't. Proverbial "encounted a problem" and stopped. Restart.

Fortunately, the update rolled back to a working Windows 10 state. Error indicates some sort of driver issue caused the failure. TBD - GPU driver being a potential culprit.

Decided, for a number of reasons, to leave well enough alone and stay with Windows 10 until I get a new desktop.

Will set the desktop up as a Windows 11 system for primary use. Then tinker with the Windows 10 to Windows 11 upgrade a bit more.

Bottom line:

If you already know that a component is not compatible then, despite claims of "readiness", don't bother. And Microsoft is not going to lower the requirements.

In theory my entire build was "ready".

Not!

Reactions: rgd1101