[SOLVED] Windows 11 Upgrading Question Please

mark_07

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
Windows 11 Upgrading Question Please

Hello, if anyone can help, I'm planning on upgrading to windows 11 soon. But I have question. I currently have an ssd which is in mbr format, I know I need to convert this to gpt so I can enable secure boot. Do I only need to convert the boot drive to gpt, and once booted to windows 11, will it be able read my other hdd/ssd that is still on mbr? or do I need to concert all my drives as well to gpt. Another question, I will be using usb flash drive as well to install windows 11 (via rufus). Do I need to convert my flash drive as well to gpt?

Thank you in advance

Solution
Alright, so only the boot drive needs to be converted to gpt right. So once booted, win11 should be able to read my other drives in mbr format with no issues. That's really just my worry because of the data loss in conversion. Thank you for the clarification mate
During the install and/or conversion, ALL other drives need to be physically disconnected.
Reconnect later, and they will be readable no problem.

USAFRet

Titan
Windows 11 Upgrading Question Please

Hello, if anyone can help, I'm planning on upgrading to windows 11 soon. But I have question. I currently have an ssd which is in mbr format, I know I need to convert this to gpt so I can enable secure boot. Do I only need to convert the boot drive to gpt, and once booted to windows 11, will it be able read my other hdd/ssd that is still on mbr? or do I need to concert all my drives as well to gpt. Another question, I will be using usb flash drive as well to install windows 11 (via rufus). Do I need to convert my flash drive as well to gpt?

Thank you in advance
What are the FULL specs of this system?
Is it know fully compatible with Win 11?

Why Rufus for the flash drive, and not the Windows MediaCreation tool?

mark_07

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
What are the FULL specs of this system?
Is it know fully compatible with Win 11?

Why Rufus for the flash drive, and not the Windows MediaCreation tool?

Yes, I already have checked the compatibility, the only thing I'm missing now the Secure Boot since I can't enable it yet from Bios, will need to convert SSD first to GPT. In regards to Rufus, well I can use media creation tool as well if its better for this

As reference for the general specs:
AMD 2700
MSI RTX 2070
MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
16 gig ram

mark_07

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
You certainly should not have any issue reading a separate MBR disk if your system disk is GPT.

Alright, so only the boot drive needs to be converted to gpt right. So once booted, win11 should be able to read my other drives in mbr format with no issues. That's really just my worry because of the data loss in conversion. Thank you for the clarification mate

USAFRet

Titan
During the install and/or conversion, ALL other drives need to be physically disconnected.

Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Just as a quick suggestion from a fellow R7 2700 (mine was an X) user...do a bit of a search to be sure the fix came out for the performance hit to AMD that (was) going on with W11. I 'think' it got patched, but if not it is something to be informed of if you use your rig for a lot of gaming as your specs would suggest.

mark_07

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012

That is really an important advise, thank you. I could have missed that and could cause issues later on. I will certainly do that. Thank you mate

mark_07

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
Just as a quick suggestion from a fellow R7 2700 (mine was an X) user...do a bit of a search to be sure the fix came out for the performance hit to AMD that (was) going on with W11. I 'think' it got patched, but if not it is something to be informed of if you use your rig for a lot of gaming as your specs would suggest.

Oh, is win11 still have those issues, or just with our build (R7 2700) ? I will do more research on that regard, but it should already been fixed or at least run better, its why I have waited this long as well before planning on upgrading

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The issue was, as I understand it, a performance hit to AMD in general. Not specific to the 2xxx series.

In my own opinion of it...all of the Intel machines that I had that were capable were as easy as pie to change over, nearly fully automatic. Curiosity overwhelmed me, mostly in a just wondering "if I could" kind of way and then wanted to jump through the hoops to make the 2700X system run it. In spite of it not being nearly as automated and even in spite of the information indicating there was a performance hit using it, I like W11 enough to desire using it moving forward and honestly by seat of the pants didn't notice any significant gaming difference. In particular, after a few updates came out and a BIOS revision it seemed as good as always to me.

mark_07

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
The issue was, as I understand it, a performance hit to AMD in general. Not specific to the 2xxx series.

In my own opinion of it...all of the Intel machines that I had that were capable were as easy as pie to change over, nearly fully automatic. Curiosity overwhelmed me, mostly in a just wondering "if I could" kind of way and then wanted to jump through the hoops to make the 2700X system run it. In spite of it not being nearly as automated and even in spite of the information indicating there was a performance hit using it, I like W11 enough to desire using it moving forward and honestly by seat of the pants didn't notice any significant gaming difference. In particular, after a few updates came out and a BIOS revision it seemed as good as always to me.

Thank you for the details and information mate. Glad to hear that you are able to test windows 11 on amd platform, and with the recent updates, as you have tried as well, amd users should have a better experience running windows 11. I hear good reviews as well so I really want to try this latest windows operating system. Thank you for your time on this thread. Cheers