News Windows 11 vs Windows 10 GPUs Tested: Which Games Faster?

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
No amount of fps gain or new feature will make me go back to Windows 11.

The OS is a joke, full of bugs, slowdowns & a whole lot of crap multitasking / system response vs Windows 10.

Ran Windows11 since day1 public release, never again... Went back to fresh install of Windows 10 last week and it's night / day !

Reactions: tiggers97

froggx

Honorable
Sep 6, 2017
The article itself indicates the RTX 3090 was benchmarked. The tables and graphs with the results indicate the RTX 3080ti was benchmarked. I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and guess one of those is wrong.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Useful article, nice work.

I'm not surprised with the results, as far as we know there are no major overhauls to the basic OS, so other than that weird 'core priority' change which results in Intel's new hybrid cpus being favored, its not surprising that the results are more or less identical.

Reactions: Krotow
The article itself indicates the RTX 3090 was benchmarked. The tables and graphs with the results indicate the RTX 3080ti was benchmarked. I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and guess one of those is wrong.
Fixed. It was the 3080 Ti tested. I got sidetracked between the testing and the writing when I tested Halo Infinite performance, where I used the 3090 and not the 3080 Ti. Then I forgot about that. (Getting senile in my old age...) My reasoning for the 3080 Ti over the 3090 is that the 3080 Ti is more readily available, costs less, and represents more of a direct competitor to the 6900 XT. Generally speaking, the 3090 is about 2-3% faster than the 3080 Ti.

Reactions: froggx

hannibal

Distinguished
Meh...
I haven't had Window$ on any machine or laptop at home for a decade now. Only have it in VMs on VBox when/if needed for work.

Linux Lads! It's the future!

Heh! Linux has been the future last 30 years!
We have to just wait 100-1000 more years it to happen :)
And don´t get me wrong. Linux is good for what is it. But fragmentation and wild wild west environment means that normal people will most likely never move to Linux. But if you know Linux or only use machine for web surfing Linux is the best choice.
It is just too complex to most users. Sigh... not sure if it tell more about the users or the Linux...

Reactions: VforV

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019

The OS is a joke, full of bugs, slowdowns & a whole lot of crap multitasking / system response vs Windows 10.

Ran Windows11 since day1 public release, never again... Went back to fresh install of Windows 10 last week and it's night / day !
After I bought the Ryzen 5600X a month ago, I did a fresh Win10 install and that worked well vs an old Win10 on Ryzen 3600 (which was expected) and then I said let's try Win11 and after 1 week I installed it.

So now I have a true comparison of fresh Win10 (with all the patches) vs fresh Win11 (in it's infancy) both on 5600X.

There results and my feelings I have about it are like this:
  • performance wise some apps runs faster on Win10, but others are faster on Win11.
  • my 5600X uses more of it's cores (percentage wise) and at higher speed for all core clock in Win11 in all benchmarks I did, so it gives me a little more performance where CPU is the bottleneck
  • aesthetically after doing a lot of tweaks to make it look how I want, I now like Win11 more than Win10
  • so far I did not have any major issues with Win11, so that's a nice surprise

I usually don't jump on a Windows version that is so new, but since I did 2 fresh installs in 2 weeks I don't have the patience to go back to Win10 and do all that for the 3rd time, because I have no reasons to. Overall my experience is good, even a little better I would say on Win11 vs Win10.

But I understand it's very different for everybody and subjective, for a lot of reasons and factors.

Dantte

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

Same here, moved over to Win11 and no perceivable differences in performance. Just differences that are/were more annoying and I had to get use to; same as the move from win7 to 10 had to relearn all the nuances.

After I bought the Ryzen 5600X a month ago, I did a fresh Win10 install and that worked well vs an old Win10 on Ryzen 3600 (which was expected) and then I said let's try Win11 and after 1 week I installed it.

So now I have a true comparison of fresh Win10 (with all the patches) vs fresh Win11 (in it's infancy) both on 5600X.

There results and my feelings I have about it are like this:
  • performance wise some apps runs faster on Win10, but others are faster on Win11.
  • my 5600X uses more of it's cores (percentage wise) and at higher speed for all core clock in Win11 in all benchmarks I did, so it gives me a little more performance where CPU is the bottleneck
  • aesthetically after doing a lot of tweaks to make it look how I want, I now like Win11 more than Win10
  • so far I did not have any major issues with Win11, so that's a nice surprise
I usually don't jump on a Windows version that is so new, but since I did 2 fresh installs in 2 weeks I don't have the patience to go back to Win10 and do all that for the 3rd time, because I have no reasons to. Overall my experience is good, even a little better I would say on Win11 vs Win10.

But I understand it's very different for everybody and subjective, for a lot of reasons and factors.

Much like my own experience with 11. All good so far. Yes, some minor issues like right click context menu (easily fixed). Other than that, I don't notice the OS one way or another. It runs fine for me.

Reactions: valreesio and VforV
Much like my own experience with 11. All good so far. Yes, some minor issues like right click context menu (easily fixed). Other than that, I don't notice the OS one way or another. It runs fine for me.
Honestly, one of my biggest complaints is Alt+Tab. I'm used to hitting that, even though Win+Tab might be considered "better." Anyway, on Windows 10, Alt+Tab puts up a dark grey box with the windows inside it, and highlights the selected window with white border. It's very easy to tell what you're selecting. On Windows 11, at least using the default options, you get a lighter colored background overlay with the open apps/windows shown on top, and the selection box is a black border instead of white. It sounds like a minor thing, but I constantly encounter this where I have to stare a few seconds trying to see where the selection box is. Screenshots time!

My favorite part about Windows 11 so far? If you go to a folder with images, as far as I can tell the default "details" view no longer shows the completely useless "Tags" and "Rating" columns. Seriously, I hate that crap. I have never put any tags or ratings on any image on a Windows install, and I don't want to start. We've had that since at least Windows 7 I think, and it was just as useless then. I'm glad Win11 finally understands that for most people, File name, File type, File size, and Date modified are the important columns for the detailed view.

Anyway, on Windows 10, Alt+Tab puts up a dark grey box with the windows inside it, and highlights the selected window with white border. It's very easy to tell what you're selecting. On Windows 11, at least using the default options, you get a lighter colored background overlay with the open apps/windows shown on top, and the selection box is a black border instead of white.

That's odd. It must be a settings thing. My border in alt tab are still white. That could be though, because I have dark mode set on everything (migraine sufferer) so contrast is key for me. Maybe dark mode brings the white border for contrast also.

View: https://imgur.com/scQ12nK

as far as I can tell the default "details" view no longer shows the completely useless "Tags" and "Rating" columns. Seriously, I hate that crap. I have never put any tags or ratings on any image on a Windows install, and I don't want to start.

Can't agree more on this one. It's been a bug bear of mine for years.

I think over all though, 11 is maturing quickly. Whilst people bang on about bugs and this or that (and all are entitled to), when 10 came out it was as buggy if not more.

That's odd. It must be a settings thing. My border in alt tab are still white. That could be though, because I have dark mode set on everything (migraine sufferer) so contrast is key for me. Maybe dark mode brings the white border for contrast also.

View: https://imgur.com/scQ12nK

Can't agree more on this one. It's been a bug bear of mine for years.

I think over all though, 11 is maturing quickly. Whilst people bang on about bugs and this or that (and all are entitled to), when 10 came out it was as buggy if not more.
I'll have to give dark mode a shot and see if I like that more. The thing is, I just don't see how nobody ever said, "Hey, that black selection border can be hard to spot." Of course, if none of the testers are power users that use Alt+Tab...

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Maybe I'm lucky (well, I can't really say that because that's a silly thing to say about computers), but I've used every major Windows release at or near its launch period since Vista and I've never had major or nagging issues that made me want to go back to the previous release. This includes the much derided Windows 8.

So it makes me wonder what I do differently that allows such a hassle free (more or less) experience compared to other people who complain about having all sorts of issues.

I'll have to give dark mode a shot and see if I like that more. The thing is, I just don't see how nobody ever said, "Hey, that black selection border can be hard to spot." Of course, if none of the testers are power users that use Alt+Tab...

Actually, just checking it now, Dark v Light mode. Black border in Light mode, white border in Dark mode! Affirmative.

I've an Insiders rig running. Will report that to the HUB. Might be a fix en route.

Reactions: valreesio and VforV
Maybe I'm lucky (well, I can't really say that because that's a silly thing to say about computers), but I've used every major Windows release at or near its launch period since Vista and I've never had major or nagging issues that made me want to go back to the previous release. This includes the much derided Windows 8.

So it makes me wonder what I do differently that allows such a hassle free (more or less) experience compared to other people who complain about having all sorts of issues.

I agree with you completely. Exact same for me.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009

Somebody may have said that, but my guess is one of 2 things is at fault:

1) Software change management practices dictated a bunch of mostly unnecessarily complicated hoops the design team would have to jump through to put this change in place.

2) Design by committee results in mediocre product with no clear vision.

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
I have been using Win11 in the DEV insider program since day one. There has been a couple of minor issues that were cleared up in a subsequent update, so very stable and usable with all of my programs and games. As far as the taskbar is concerned, after several months I used a workaround to bring the taskbar and Start back to Win10 and.... went back to Win 11! I had spent enough time tweaking Start and using the new taskbar that I got used to their IMPROVEMENTS and got frustrated with the old Win 10 versions. Never saw that coming! I am leaving my son's computers on Win 10 as I have yet to see any must-have improvements but I expect to move them over soon.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Heh! Linux has been the future last 30 years!
We have to just wait 100-1000 more years it to happen :)
And don´t get me wrong. Linux is good for what is it. But fragmentation and wild wild west environment means that normal people will most likely never move to Linux. But if you know Linux or only use machine for web surfing Linux is the best choice.
It is just too complex to most users. Sigh... not sure if it tell more about the users or the Linux...

Ubuntu is about as close to a Windows-ease experience as I've ever had in the Linux world---if it hasn't taken over the world, then its probably never going to happen for Linux, unless MS stops developing Windows.

Because even if hardware makes the seemingly inevitable switch to ARM on the desktop, MS can just make a version of Windows optimized for ARM, even though Linux already has a solid codebase in place for ARM devices.

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU