jnjnilson6

Distinguished
This year will mark 14 years since the release of Windows 7 in 2009; and we are currently looking into Windows 11. And it may avidly come to notice that the same amount of time has passed between the release of Windows 7 and Windows 95 in 1995 (again 14 years).

Now, in 2009, Windows 95 was much more than dead and obsolete. While in 2023 Windows 7 has not attained a synonymous legacy. It is much nearer to the calming verges of productivity and usability than Windows 95 ever was past 2003/2004.

What do you think about this progressivity? It obviously regards hardware too. A Windows 95 machine with Pentium Pro @ 200 MHz would not hold a candle in the world of Windows 7 (year 2009); yet a Core i7-965 Extreme from the end of 2008 would still get a lot of stuff, even heavy stuff, done neatly and coolly today if equipped with an SSD and an appropriate amount of RAM. If you get something around the lines of an RX 580 and are moderately within the field of rendering heavy projects or gaming it would sure throttle some, but not to an indefinite degree.

While imagine using the Pentium Pro @ 200 MHz for gaming or rendering in 2009. Surely Crysis would be able to run at 0.125 frames per second!

Tell me what you think will happen in 14 years from now; how things would be. :)

i personally, and many others do not like Windows 11 for performance issues and all of it's built-in media promotion junk.

Windows 7 is not entirely supported by most modern applications and you will find almost zero modern hardware with available drivers, though it was one of the best versions of Windows over the years.

Windows 10, for now, remains the best current option for Windows based systems.

what will happen with Windows 12, or whatever they decide for naming scheme, is still too far on the horizon to be sure.
hopefully they will take the feedback from 11 and at least make a version available that is slimmed down and not including all of their constantly online media junk, news feeds, and promotional garbage.

Reactions: jnjnilson6

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
i personally, and many others do not like Windows 11 for performance issues and all of it's built-in media promotion junk.

Windows 7 is not entirely supported by most modern applications and you will find almost zero modern hardware with available drivers, though it was one of the best versions of Windows over the years.

Windows 10, for now, remains the best current option for Windows based systems.

what will happen with Windows 12, or whatever they decide for naming scheme, is still too far on the horizon to be sure.
hopefully they will take the feedback from 11 and at least make a version available that is slimmed down and not including all of their constantly online media junk, news feeds, and promotional garbage.
Things were much simpler when programmers didn't work solely for money... Microsoft C++ 6.0; Windows 98...

We're having great and powerful hardware, but the software is written in such a manner that it simply cannot perform well. The programmers don't write the main structures of the programs simply and cleanly, but instead create incredibly long software with innumerable problems within and practically no real / smart structuring at all... It's kinda sad, though. Maybe we'll never again get back to those times; everybody wants to be a programmer. However, the real question is - whether or not anyone can be one.

Thanks for writing up, btw! I do agree with everything you say. Windows Vista and 7 were truly beautiful and things started going downhill from there. It seems that the new themes are trying harder and harder to imitate Windows 3.11 if anything.

Oh yeah, oh yeah, but the pentium with win 95 could play dos games natively with sound and everything, try doing that on your fancy pants i7.
O-&-<

Also pentium 4 was around until 2008, single core up to 3.8ghz.
Yeah, the 200Mhz version wouldn't stand a chance in win7 times but the single core pentium was still very much around in 2009.

While imagine using the Pentium Pro @ 200 MHz for gaming or rendering in 2009. Surely Crysis would be able to run at 125 seconds per frame!
FIFY

Endre

Reputable
This year will mark 14 years since the release of Windows 7 in 2009; and we are currently looking into Windows 11. And it may avidly come to notice that the same amount of time has passed between the release of Windows 7 and Windows 95 in 1995 (again 14 years).

Now, in 2009, Windows 95 was much more than dead and obsolete. While in 2023 Windows 7 has not attained a synonymous legacy. It is much nearer to the calming verges of productivity and usability than Windows 95 ever was past 2003/2004.

What do you think about this progressivity? It obviously regards hardware too. A Windows 95 machine with Pentium Pro @ 200 MHz would not hold a candle in the world of Windows 7 (year 2009); yet a Core i7-965 Extreme from the end of 2008 would still get a lot of stuff, even heavy stuff, done neatly and coolly today if equipped with an SSD and an appropriate amount of RAM. If you get something around the lines of an RX 580 and are moderately within the field of rendering heavy projects or gaming it would sure throttle some, but not to an indefinite degree.

While imagine using the Pentium Pro @ 200 MHz for gaming or rendering in 2009. Surely Crysis would be able to run at 0.125 frames per second!

Tell me what you think will happen in 14 years from now; how things would be. :)

The biggest bottleneck of Windows 95 was its 16-bit architecture.
Windows 7 was in both 32-bit and 64-bit variants, which makes it still run pretty well today.
I don't believe that the PC industry will be on 128-bit 14 years by now.
So, I think that Windows 11 will still be usable 14 years by now!

Endre

Reputable
Personally, I don't worry about or obsess over the minutiae of different Windows versions. (and have used just about every MS OS in the history of ever)

Instead, I use applications. My main CAD package runs just the same in Win 11 as it did in 7, and all the ones in between.

Yeah. That's true.
Still, I do appreciate the improvements of newer OSs (such as the Hi-DPI compatibility, to name one).

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah. That's true.
Still, I do appreciate the improvements of newer OSs (such as the Hi-DPI compatibility, to name one).
Oh, absolutely.

But most of the hand wringing about Win 10 and 11 seems to be about things being in different places.
Like bitching about Toyota moving the cupholders in the new Camry. "Worst car ever!"

I would not say that because in 2009 Win9x had a perfectly up-to-date browser in Firefox 2.0.0.20 which was current until the next version 3.0.6 came out February 3rd.

Nowadays Chrome is by far the most popular browser, and its support for Win7-64 similarly ends in a week on February 7th 2023 with the release of Chrome v110. Until then Chrome v109 is current and therefore not obsolete, so both Win9x and Win7 were usable for 14 years.

Now of course you could continue to use Firefox on Win7 for now, but it's far less popular. Similarly you could have installed KernelEx in Win9x and continued to run the NT version of Firefox 3.6.28 clear into March 2012. That's 17 years

Endre

Reputable
I would not say that because in 2009 Win9x had a perfectly up-to-date browser in Firefox 2.0.0.20 which was current until the next version 3.0.6 came out February 3rd.

Nowadays Chrome is by far the most popular browser, and its support for Win7-64 similarly ends in a week on February 7th 2023 with the release of Chrome v110. Until then Chrome v109 is current and therefore not obsolete, so both Win9x and Win7 were usable for 14 years.

Now of course you could continue to use Firefox on Win7 for now, but it's far less popular. Similarly you could have installed KernelEx in Win9x and continued to run the NT version of Firefox 3.6.28 clear into March 2012. That's 17 years

Firefox is a decent browser, so I wouldn't complain about needing to use it.
But on the other hand, why would I bother using Windows 7 in 2023?
Getting a Windows 11 key, costs $15 or so.

awesome if you want to continue offering new flair-space for their payed promotional political/retail ad-space.
Hey you can sit down and write your own OS if you want to, or read through the whole source code of a linux distro to make sure everything is on the up and up.
If you don't trust windows/MS who at least are somewhat regulated and watched over, then there is no reason for you to trust anything or anyone.
Maybe your busdriver is spying on you and is advertising things to you and you don't even realize. Sit at home in a corner with a aluminum hat on and try to not even think because "the man" might be able to listen in on your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
But most of the hand wringing about Win 10 and 11 seems to be about things being in different places.
Like bitching about Toyota moving the cupholders in the new Camry. "Worst car ever!"
Maybe some, but I doubt most.
For me it's about privacy and functionality. I have a problem with Microsoft making something less functional for the purpose of gaining revenue from service sales and metadata collections (and sales). Of course, I recognize that this is a personal point of view, not necessarily shared by others. ;)

USAFRet

Titan
Maybe some, but I doubt most.
For me it's about privacy and functionality. I have a problem with making something less functional for the purpose of gaining revenue from service sales and metadata collections (and sales). Of course, I recognize that this is a personal point of view though.
"most people" do not care.

And they give up FAR more of their privacy via the cellphone. Every day, all day.
And don't care about that either.

"most people" do not care.

And they give up FAR more of their privacy via the cellphone. Every day, all day.
And don't care about that either.
The "well, he/they/it does it too," argument is invalid in my book.

Just because it's very difficult to 'detach oneself' from the tracking and telemetry gathering of big corporations, because of the ubiquitous nature of their goods and services, doesn't mean we shouldn't care about our personal metadata (e.g. was it collected legally, who collects it, for what purpose was it collected, how is my data protected from illegal or careless dissemination, is enough of my data stored in one place to identify me specifically, etc.).

USAFRet

Titan
The "well, he/they/it does it too," argument is invalid in my book.

Just because it's very difficult to 'detach oneself' from the tracking and telemetry gathering of big corporations, because of the ubiquitous nature of their goods and services, doesn't mean we shouldn't care about our personal metadata (e.g. was it collected legally, who collects it, for what purpose was it collected, how is my data protected from illegal or careless dissemination, is enough of my data stored in one place to identify me specifically, etc.).
I agree.

I was just commenting on the "most people" thing.

Reactions: alceryes
I agree.

I was just commenting on the "most people" thing.
True. I'm sure I am in the tiny minority here.
But IT is my business and my hobby, so I get a LOT of time to think and reflect on the minutia.

Edit - ...back to the OPs Q, I actually used 95 very little as I held onto 3.1.1 until 98 pried it from my hands. Once I changed to 98 as my daily driver I had to learn about 95 as I was in the business. Was kinda meh with it though. Fourteen years from now, everything will be a service, no one will own anything (except corporations who will own governments), and we will live in Blade Runner. (okay maybe 54 years from now) :ROFLMAO:

Last edited: