News Windows 11: What We Know About Microsoft’s Likely Next OS

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I think you can add two leakers claiming Microsoft is internally developing Windows 11. Whether "11" is a code name or a marketing name seems to be the question now.

In the end, it's Panos Panay: the guy will trip if Windows doesn't get the "pumped" hype he so desperately wants. Look at how they marketed the now-cancelled 10X: "a revolution!"

Android 12, iOS 15, MacOS 12, Chrome OS 91 (and 92 and 93 and 94), etc., Microsoft looks ancient with Windows 10. Why does this matter? PC hardware OEMs need new marketing OS versions to sell to mainstream consumers, businesses, etc.

G7gVNfU.png

NnQh0ej.png

SonoraTechnical

Reputable
May 28, 2020
I think you can add two leakers claiming Microsoft is internally developing Windows 11. Whether "11" is a code name or a marketing name seems to be the question now.

In the end, it's Panos Panay: the guy will trip if Windows doesn't get the "pumped" hype he so desperately wants. Look at how they marketed the now-cancelled 10X: "a revolution!"

Android 12, iOS 15, MacOS 12, Chrome OS 91 (and 92 and 93 and 94), etc., Microsoft looks ancient with Windows 10. Why does this matter? PC hardware OEMs need new marketing OS versions to sell to mainstream consumers, businesses, etc.

G7gVNfU.png

NnQh0ej.png

In the end.. the changes may be no more significant then a Windows 95 to Windows98 jump.. The idea that Windows is suddently going to fundamentally change how we interact with our PCs while running Win32 software is debatable.... because we know how many Metro/Modern/UWP productivity apps Microsoft released for Windows.

Do you know... if you click on a photo in File Manager, Display it with the Photos App, Decide you like to Email it someone... so You select Share To... and you are looking for Microsoft Outlook which is part of your Ofice 365 subscription..... uhhhh.. It don't work... funny... I can do that with my android phone (Outlook for Android will even prompt me to reduce the file size). Windows, File Manager, Photos and Outlook are from the same company and their isn't a seemless way to share.....

When I see that my wife, who is not as computer saavy as me, cannot accomplish things like this easily... I question if anyone in Redmond is even paying attention to users at all..... The only thing revolutionary about the next version of WIndows is that it will be monotized through subscription services, just like Azure and Office... I don't know even know why I'm posting this... no one cares....

Reactions: phenomiix6

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
The Windows Store and XBox should be removed from Windows entirely but I doubt MS will do that. I once tried the store to get a "free" game. The store would only allow me to download and install the "free" game if I logged in with a MS account and offered to used the OS MS account which I didn't have set up at the time. After creating the account and then allowing the OS to use that I finally got the dang game downloaded and installed. The game kind of sucked so I got rid of it. The next time I rebooted, windows the OS had completely reconfigured my log in from local single use sign on to having to log in via the MS account. I had to reconfigure the entire log in settings again just to get back to my normal single user local account log in. What a pain in the behind. Never again. I know of no other store that would default their log in to your OS just to use their store. I have never touched the MS store again.

The Windows Store and XBox should be removed from Windows entirely but I doubt MS will do that. I once tried the store to get a "free" game. The store would only allow me to download and install the "free" game if I logged in with a MS account and offered to used the OS MS account which I didn't have set up at the time. After creating the account and then allowing the OS to use that I finally got the dang game downloaded and installed. The game kind of sucked so I got rid of it. The next time I rebooted, windows the OS had completely reconfigured my log in from local single use sign on to having to log in via the MS account. I had to reconfigure the entire log in settings again just to get back to my normal single user local account log in. What a pain in the behind. Never again. I know of no other store that would default their log in to your OS just to use their store. I have never touched the MS store again.
It asks you when you log into a Microsoft Store app if you want to convert the local account to a Microsoft one. You don't have to convert the local account to a Microsoft one to use the store to continue using any of the apps however.

Is this going to require a fresh install? I don't mind the name change and even a few breaking changes, but requiring a fresh install feels like walking back on the rolling updates philosophy of Windows 10 that made them claim it would be the last one. Sad day if you manage a large windows based enterprise.

Jun 9, 2021
Agreed, Windows 10 is user friendly operating system. Microsoft should upgrade it rather than launching the new OS. We are using Windows 10 for our company since long.

Last edited:

maik80

Commendable
May 21, 2021
Microsoft need a big change in Windows user interface, just look dated, MAC OS look's in another league

Findecanor

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2015
The Windows Store and XBox should be removed from Windows entirely but I doubt MS will do that.
Indeed, but Microsoft has tried before to make user register and only install software from the on-line store.
I fully expect them to force that upon users sooner or later, at least for the "home and small office" tiers of the operating system.

D

Deleted member 14196

Would be nice to see Microsoft introduce another file system and perhaps ditch the Registry.
that makes no sense. why? just for grins and giggles? NTFS is one of the BEST file systems ever created. Don't be a hater for no reason.

excalibur1814

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
You can tell by the replies that no matter what MS does, they'll get smashed for it. Whatever they do, they will never win.
Apple/Google... makes no mistakes. Ever /s

Ideally, MS would have two operating systems. For years, people were screaming for a lighter version of Windows, but it never happened. Heck, make Windows Modular. Do something productive, but keep the basic mode for people that cannot and will not adapt. Windows 10's start Menu is an example of that.

Either way, I want everything!

srimasis

Distinguished
For me the best looking Windows was Vista. Those aero icons and bars were simply so beautiful. Even Windows 7 looked dated to me compared to Windows Vista.

I don't expect Windows 11 to bring back aero. But I absolutely hated the sharp edges of Windows 8 and 10. It looked so dated it felt like a hd colorful version of Windows 95/98. At least Windows 95/98 looked beautiful at their time.

Rounded edges is the least I expect from Windows 11. And please for the love of God stay away from the tablet user interface.

Reactions: purple_dragon
Would be nice to see Microsoft introduce another file system and perhaps ditch the Registry.
NTFS have had several minor updated since it was launched. That will for the most part be transparent for any apps running. However, removal of registry will be problematic as the majority of todays apps store their setting in the registry.

NTFS is one of the BEST file systems ever created.
Well, I'm not convinced. How often do one come across a thread in this forum where a partition file system have became "raw" to the end user?

You can tell by the replies that no matter what MS does, they'll get smashed for it.
Yes, of course all users that have paid for their OS should be happy MS dropping support for what they've paid for.
Also users that want to purchase a laptop that they want to install some other OS (Linux) should dance for joy for be able to pay MS for the OS that they wouldn't use anyway 💩

For me the best looking Windows was Vista.
A little stupid reply maybe but, if look is important <link>.

Reactions: purple_dragon

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Make it more like Windows 7. Or give users a choice between simple UI, and super ultra modern inefficient UI for those who want it.
Make it so that registry shows which changes belong to which app, so when I remove the software, I can clean up the registry made that that software in few clicks, or make changes.

Make it more like Windows 7. Or give users a choice between simple UI, and super ultra modern inefficient UI for those who want it.
If a user really want choices then one should look for something other than Windows.

Make it so that registry shows which changes belong to which app, so when I remove the software, I can clean up the registry made that that software in few clicks, or make changes.
There exists registry loggers, but those logs tend to grow insanely large because some app is always accessing the registry in some or other ways. Therefore this wil cause some design issues (hard choices):
  • How to make the list as small as possible but still usable?
  • Many registry keys are used by more than one program/service - how to keep track of those being shared ?
  • What about those programs that doesn't access the registry directly, but use a dll or service as a middle-way ?

Reactions: dimar
Is this going to require a fresh install? I don't mind the name change and even a few breaking changes, but requiring a fresh install feels like walking back on the rolling updates philosophy of Windows 10 that made them claim it would be the last one. Sad day if you manage a large windows based enterprise.
Windows has always allowed you to upgrade to a newer version. Though there are some people insist that clean install is the only way to go.

Microsoft has introduced a new filesystem: ReFS. Yes it's only available for servers (it appears it's on Enterprise versions as well), but unless it can be a seamless drop-in replacement for NTFS, NTFS is going to be here to stay.

As far as the registry goes, what would you replace it with it?

Ideally, MS would have two operating systems. For years, people were screaming for a lighter version of Windows, but it never happened. Heck, make Windows Modular. Do something productive, but keep the basic mode for people that cannot and will not adapt. Windows 10's start Menu is an example of that.
The only point I'd see a lighter version of Windows would be useful for are bottom barrel commodity PCs. And those seem to run fine on standard versions after some cleanup of the crapware and toning the the eye candy down. Heck I had a Surface Go and it felt fine for basic tasks. A lighter version won't help a high-end PC.

Windows is, I would argue, modular. Look at n-Lite for example. The problem is a lot of these things are buried under cryptic looking utilities. However modularity has it's own issues. The more buttons, knobs, and switches you allow the user to adjust, the harder it is to support customers because developers can only expect that users are running with the default settings and touching things that don't require permissions elevation to set. Plus I doubt anyone outside of Microsoft (and even then, in the deepest trenches of Windows system development) really knows what any of these settings actually do and what side effects are possible.

Also Microsoft has explored catering to so-called "experts": https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20030728-00/?p=43043

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
The more buttons, knobs, and switches you allow the user to adjust,...
....the more they will break things.

We see it here ALL the time:
"I clicked something the interwebs told me to do, and now my PC doesn't work."
Well, if you didn't know what it did or why...why did you go down that path?

But hey, more traffic for the Forums here, so we can help them fix it...;)

....the more they will break things.

We see it here ALL the time:
"I clicked something the interwebs told me to do, and now my PC doesn't work."
Well, if you didn't know what it did or why...why did you go down that path?

But hey, more traffic for the Forums here, so we can help them fix it...;)
If someone really wants all the customizations in the world, they should try Gentoo Linux. Either they'll stick with it or really appreciate all of the fun bits they don't have to do.

Reactions: Grobe