News Windows 11 Will Make Print Screen Key Open Snipping Tool

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
The option to enable this already exists. But I could see them turning it on by default in the future. My initial thought was that it would be fine. Hit Print-Screen and your screen shot shows up in the snipping tool where you can copy it to something else or do some quick mark up on it. But, it doesn't do that. I brings up the snipping tool mini-bar where you then have to pick to do a screen shot. So it seems more like they're making it into a shortcut key that doesn't actually do anything until you provide additional feedback. I don't like that. The function should still be the same which is to capture the whole screen. Changing where that goes next is a reasonable update but this seems a bit stupid. Also would help if they didn't break the Snipping tool in the recent update I assume when they added the video capture part. The tool opens up way to small now to be useful. It used to resize to the size of what was captured and where it was captured as long as it fit. Hopefully that will be something fixed in the future as well.

D

Deleted member 14196

That is perfect for my needs. What’s the problem? I use it all the time and it doesn’t open up small.

cyrusfox

Distinguished
As long as it can be turned off, fine by me.

I only use shareX, if I want to take a custom screen crop I use a hotkey to do that. I stopped using snippet ages ago. ShareX does so much more and it is free, make sure turn off autoupload to not get in trouble at work :)

Reactions: Nathkrul

KyaraM

Admirable
Okay, that's cool. I use the snipping cool quite often. I just hope it won't do that in games... got one set up to save screenshots to my NAS directly, in that case it would be super annoying.