[SOLVED] Windows 11 won't install ?

REALOldNick

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2013
I did not see anything that helped me, after searching. I am sorry if I am posting a repeat question. I have tried installing at least 4 times.

I went via M$oft's site and used the Install Assistant.

On the first attempt, there was an error whose number I do not remember. Sorry. AFAIK it has not repeated.

AFAIK I have installed enabled secure boot and TPM. I could not actually choose to enable TPM, but the BIOS said the device had been found and gave me no option. It says that PTTT (Platform Trust Technology?) is enabled.
M$oft's health check said I could install Win 11 and I have had a few popups saying I should.:rolleyes:
When I ran the install assistant, it checked again and there was no issue.
It goes through the whole process, thankfully not actually re-downloading the main install files. But at the end, I still come up with Win 10.

Any help VASTLY appreciated.! I have put off installing Win 11 just because of this sort of stuff and now....?

My Sysinfo

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-EEIS2SC
System Manufacturer To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Model H570M Pro4
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-10105F CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3696 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends International, LLC. P2.00, 6/06/2022
SMBIOS Version 3.3
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASRock
BaseBoard Product H570M Pro4
BaseBoard Version
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume3
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.2251"
User Name DESKTOP-EEIS2SC\61409
Time Zone W. Australia Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.91 GB
Available Physical Memory 5.27 GB
Total Virtual Memory 12.2 GB
Available Virtual Memory 8.58 GB
Page File Space 4.25 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection On
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Colif

Win 11 Master
On another pc, download the media creation tool - 2nd link here - and use it to make an installer on USB

Once installer made, put it in PC that won't update now, while windows is running
Go to file explorer (Win +E key)
navigate to usb & run setup
Agree to upgrade current PC
It will restart and install win 11

advantage to making USB is if it messes up, you don't have to download all the files again.

REALOldNick

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2013
sigh....Annnnd here we go. I fell at the first hurdle, because I cannot make the PC in question boot from USB. The USB drive shows when I activate the boot selection , but is I select it as the boot device, the boot selector simply pops up again, until I select the Windows boot manager to boot.

The USB drive has the file "Win11_22H2_EnglishInternational_x64v1.iso" on it, along with a folder ":System Volume Information"

I turned Secure Boot off, as it was said that it does not need to be on the install Win 11, just available. It may get in the way of booting from USB.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
You should have used the Media creation tool to make the USB.
The ISO needs to be burned onto the USB, not just copied onto it

Or since you have ISO on a PC somewhere, use RUFUS to burn it onto USB

And you don't need to boot off USB. You do as I said, once its an actual installer

Once installer made, put it in PC that won't update now, while windows is running
Go to file explorer (Win +E key)
navigate to usb & run setup.exe
Agree to upgrade current PC
It will restart and install win 11

that way you not booting off USB as such, you just using its files to update. No need to change bios.

REALOldNick

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2013
OK. Yes. I blew the install bit. Sorry. I think I was a bit over the whole thing and not remembering all the stuff. Somehow I DL'd the .iso instead of the creator.

I used rufus as you suggested, with the iso file I DL'd before. Saved me a heap of download data and time.

It worked. Yaay!

Now all I have to do is reinstall heaps of software and settings. Some of those are not behaving as well I hoped.

My sincere thanks for your patience and forbearance in all of this. I think I would have gone (even more?:() mad without it.

TRENDING THREADS