Discussion Windows 11?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endre

Reputable
Hello guys!

I’ve seen a huge speculative buzz on the internet about Microsoft’s next OS release, code named: “Sun Valley”.
People’s expectations are sky high about it.
Some say this will be Windows 11, others say it will be Windows 10 v21H2.
I tend to believe, it will be Windows 11.

What do you, experienced power users, say about this topic?

Colif

Win 11 Master
lol. remove bsod feature. That is part of all windows since XP, its not going anywhere

Only way to make windows perfect is lock it down and then people wouldn't be happy as it would essentially be Mac OS, Look but don't touch. For some users, that would be a good thing as some don't know not to mess with things they don't understand. But just as many would be saying "This is my pc, how dare windows think it can run anything I DON'T WANT" - and often in my eyes they are the same group.

The ones who want micro control should be given an OS where they decide everything, and see how soon they learn that is a dumb idea.

I don't see point in Windows 11. Its not like 10 is broken like 8 was or Vista or ME. I am not saying I love win 10, there are things I wish they had actually finished in it instead of just making it pretty.

Win 11 needs to bring more than just rounded edges to make me want it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
when i said since XP, I included XP. All NT based versions of Windows have had Bugchecks. They not going anywhere.

if they change it, the new system better work for finding errors. too many hardware combos for windows to ever run perfectly on all of them.

Endre

Reputable
lol. remove bsod feature. That is part of all windows since XP, its not going anywhere

Only way to make windows perfect is lock it down and then people wouldn't be happy as it would essentially be Mac OS, Look but don't touch. For some users, that would be a good thing as some don't know not to mess with things they don't understand. But just as many would be saying "This is my pc, how dare windows think it can run anything I DON'T WANT" - and often in my eyes they are the same group.

The ones who want micro control should be given an OS where they decide everything, and see how soon they learn that is a dumb idea.

I don't see point in Windows 11. Its not like 10 is broken like 8 was or Vista or ME. I am not saying I love win 10, there are things I wish they had actually finished in it instead of just making it pretty.

Win 11 needs to bring more than just rounded edges to make me want it.

Somebody from Microsoft said that this is the most exciting release since Windows 95!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Somebody from Microsoft said that this is the most exciting release since Windows 95!
Someone hold me down...

We don't know anything yet. I think the release is still 2 weeks away of more details. Speculation get us no where really.

Given Win 10 hasn't had any new features in over a year, they must have saved something. Last 3 version updates just been bug fixes. Win 10 version updates are as exciting as Android version releases are now. Last new things were in 1909.

I could dream they actually finished some of the things in win 10 and thats what makes 11 better. But this will be more "Oh look how pretty it is" while slapping a new gui onto Win 10. Thats what they did with vista to win 7. It doesn't make sense right now, win 10 didn't get the hate win Vista got.

Colif

Win 11 Master
As far as we know its an announcement so it might be out that day or they might just tell us the release date and show a bunch of features off?

i am speculating now. no one here knows for sure.

makes sense they show it before its out. i wonder who beta tested it unless its on Insiders now?

Reactions: Endre

USAFRet

Titan
So, you think that Microsoft won’t be able to release it on 24th of June 2021?
Info? Sure, maybe...probably.

An OS to install? Not a chance....years away for that.

Win 10 Tech Preview was oficially announced June 1 2015, and actual release on July 29.

How long before that were we talking about Win 10?

The buzz for the "version after 8.1" started long before that. We are in that pre buzz phase right now.

Reactions: Endre

Endre

Reputable
Someone hold me down...

We don't know anything yet. I think the release is still 2 weeks away of more details. Speculation get us no where really.

Given Win 10 hasn't had any new features in over a year, they must have saved something. Last 3 version updates just been bug fixes. Win 10 version updates are as exciting as Android version releases are now. Last new things were in 1909.

I could dream they actually finished some of the things in win 10 and thats what makes 11 better. But this will be more "Oh look how pretty it is" while slapping a new gui onto Win 10. Thats what they did with vista to win 7. It doesn't make sense right now, win 10 didn't get the hate win Vista got.

“Looking better” is OK.
Less bloatware is OK.
Gaming improvement is OK.
Better compatibility is OK.

The only thing I fear is, Microsoft becoming more intrusive in our lives, as Google and Apple are.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Better compatibility is OK.
what isn't win 10 compatible with now? if anything they will remove support for older hardware, not add more. Driver support is more an issue than windows not working, and MS has no control over what hardware makers do. They just get the blame when the 8 year old wifi adapter no longer works

USAFRet

Titan
And the exact same questions and baseless speculations we see today, were thrown around for Win 10.

"How much is it?"
"Do I have to reinstall"
"It's free, but it will be a subscription 12 months after you install it"

blah de blah de blah....

Colif

Win 11 Master
Much of the bloat comes from the store and if the suggestions I have heard that store is going to be used for more applications, then the actual ISO won't have much bloat at all, it will all come after install and that happens with win 10 now.

I would assume its the same as 10 and you can uninstall them easy enough and if you use an MSA, the store remembers for next time you install win 10 and won't put the things you removed on again.

Why even call it 11. The other age old question for 10 was... when they drop the number?

I haven't had a bsod in.. 6 years but I sure see enough.

Endre

Reputable
what isn't win 10 compatible with now? if anything they will remove support for older hardware, not add more. Driver support is more an issue than windows not working, and MS has no control over what hardware makers do. They just get the blame when the 8 year old wifi adapter no longer works

There are many compatibility issues; One that I can think of is:
They could improve UHD resolution compatibility.
To create a specific protocol for all apps developers to follow.
Even programs released in 2021 have blurriness issues on 4K displays (even if “High DPI Settings” are enabled manually!)

Interesting.

I use that feature not even once a year.
If you use it more often, I wonder why...;)

Maybe I'm sort of lucky guy :D

To be honest, not all BSOD are MS's faults, I once had a motherboard with a capacitor leaking, I had a dozen of BSOD a day while working on that computer, my mouse and keyboard would freeze just moment before the blue screen appears.

Colif

Win 11 Master
To be honest, not all BSOD are MS's faults,
i don't know how many bsod reports I have seen in the last 5 years but I am fairly sure most of them weren't Microsoft's fault. Most are drivers or hardware. Neither of which Microsoft has anything to do with. For most part. MS tried to make it more reliable by making people send them drivers for signature to work with win 10. Most hardware makers complied.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Microsoft releasing an OS with LESS bloatware? Not going to happen. That makes them money. Mark my words...

If anything, my thoughts lie here. More DRM, more cooked in Spyware for user data mining, more targeted bloat for MS and it's partners.

Given the massive increase in cores/threads available to the user desktop market, I hope to see better utilization both from an OS as well as a gaming stance. Up and until very recently the biggest "Johnson" on the market has continued to be single core IPC and clock speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.